Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Avoderm Lamb/rice kibble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
then go to tractor supply and get the 7lb bag of 4-health (which also comes in a grain free line)...its a few pennies more per lb than the 40lb bags at Costco but much more handleable size.
I used to get the 40lb bags and store it in the chest freezer, lasts forever that way without going bad, 40lb bag between my 2 little guys lasted about 6 months lol.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
My dog has been on Royal Canine years ago and it was much cheaper and you got a lot more in the bag than you do now. I went to Petsmart tonight and saw Blue went up. I think it was like $5 less when I was buying it. I looked around and I just couldn't decide if I really wanted to switch, so I got another bag of Royal Canine. He's been on this for almost a year now, and the longest time he's been on any food.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I think it's called CORE. He was on most of the dog foods that have been mentioned but he bit and scratched his skin so badly that it was bloody and infected. I took away grains but that wasn't enough so now it is grain free and chicken free.

For a few weeks until I found CORE I just fed him canned tuna fish and some vegetables left over from our plates and I felt kind of bad for him. I also just bought something called Wellness--grain and chicken free. He's not scratching at all now--this is a Pomeranian btw and I wonder if they are allergy prone.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM

veggie...you might ant to take a gander at the ingrediets lable on that RC...most of their ines are just expensive chicken scratch...corn, wheet and soy being 3 of their MAIN ingredients and 3 ingredients that CARNIVORES don't need in their diet (and while dogs are not OBLIGATE carnivores like cats are they are still carnvores...a LITTLE grain wont hurt them, but it shouldn't be the builk of their food and RC snt eactly cheap, heck for the qulity of ingredients in most of tier lines its high pricd junk food and youd be better feeding a mid range grocery brand and saving the cash

heres the first 5 ingredients for:
royal Canin Mini Adult at 10.99 for a 2.5lb bag (or 4.39 per lb)
Chicken, brewers rice, chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal

and Tractor supplies 4-health chicken and rice, 5lb bag for 6.99 (or .72c per lb)
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, brewers rice

more real meat, no corn...even without the HUGE price difference...I think I know which id choose...

Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Walmart Ol' Roy mixed with Ol' Roy diet dog food.

And tastes of the food I eat which does not have any sugar in it.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Our dogs get 4Health grain-free dry food with a little canned 4Health chicken from Tractor Supply.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 PM

@Billy_J
if your feeding ol' Roy, the sugar in the table scraps is the LEAST of your concerns LOL!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
............ I have a Yorkshire Terrier and the time we use it up, it would be old. ..........
I've got Papillons, so small jaws, too. All of the expensive brands come in a small enough kibble for toy dogs. All of the expensive brands are available in 2 (or 3) pound bags, 15- 20 pound bags, and either 35 or 40 pound bags.

The only good kibble too large is the beef and barley, made by... can't remember but it the company that makes Hundenflocken. Their beef and barley is in a shiny blue bag and is perfectly acceptable dog food.

For a Yorkie, even the very most expensive kibble is cheap to feed because of the small amount that they eat. For a toy, top brands are best because they don't contain lots of worthless filler that fills up a tiny stomach before the dog can get enough nutrition. For a picky eater, you want every bite to count.

There is nothing really wrong with grain, except that dog food companies use it to bulk up the kibble for less cost. Unless, of course, your dog has an allergy to that grain.

My dogs thrive on home cooked and my dog food contains brown rice, quinoa, or occasionally barley. No dog has had a problem with it. I have had 2 dogs who had problems with wheat, so I didn't give them wheat. My current dogs have no issues with it, so they can have noodles and grilled cheese sandwich custard.

I don;t cook with corn, either, but the dogs don't have problems with tortilla chips or leftover enchiladas. So corn is only an issue if the dog has an allergy to it. (I suspect it is hard to digest)

Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Just a suggestion, OP. I always change the dogs diet around. When I fed kibble I changed brands and flavors with every bag. My theory was that if one brand had some sort of deficiency a change would cover that so it wasn't going to be a problem.

I like to feed different protein sources, to cover all nutritional bases, so my dogs get all sorts of different types of meat and fish.

Another benefit is that my dogs will eat darn near anything and if they get something strange to eat, it doesn't make them sick because their stomach is accustomed to variety.

Back when I fed kibble, we would have a bag of beef, then a bag of fish, then a bag of lamb, and then venison, or pork, or duck.

If you are buying the 2 pound packages, you can switch brands and flavors frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs