Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 20,315 times

Advertisements

Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Love the stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it's called CORE. He was on most of the dog foods that have been mentioned but he bit and scratched his skin so badly that it was bloody and infected. I took away grains but that wasn't enough so now it is grain free and chicken free.

For a few weeks until I found CORE I just fed him canned tuna fish and some vegetables left over from our plates and I felt kind of bad for him. I also just bought something called Wellness--grain and chicken free. He's not scratching at all now--this is a Pomeranian btw and I wonder if they are allergy prone.

I think that they are. I have a pom mix and he is allergic to beef and a host of other things as well.
He does do well on chicken, lamb and fish.

OP - I feed Fromm Family, usually Gold, Salmon a la Veg, Chicken as la Veg and/or Salmon Tunalini (one of the grain free varieties). All are wheat-free and corn-free, the dogs love it and it agrees with them.

Also, the fish varieties have very small kibbles, perfect for little teeth.

Fromm Family Foods Gourmet Dog & Cat Food, Naturally Holistic

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I don't feel that "Simply nourish" would be a good thing to feed any animal.
Look at what's in it.

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Pumpkin, Beef, Carrot, Green Pea, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate, Vitamin E, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Potassium Iodide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

I don't think feeding my dog any thing with chloride would be a good thing.
I am not a chemist, but isn't chloride in the same family as chlorine?
Bob.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Perhaps I'm naive or not well informed by I use DogFoodAdvisor as a resource for selecting pet food (they have a CatFoodAdvisor as well,) and AAFCO. As of 11/12 DFA indicates that Simply Nourish dry is highly recommended.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Perhaps I'm naive or not well informed by I use DogFoodAdvisor as a resource for selecting pet food (they have a CatFoodAdvisor as well,) and AAFCO. As of 11/12 DFA indicates that Simply Nourish dry is highly recommended.
That seems like a wonderful site, thank you! My dog is now eating Wellness Core because of food allergies and they rate it highly. The site also describes the difference between food allergy and food intolerance symptoms.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:37 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
My pleasure in_newengland, it's tough figuring out what to feed ourselves let alone our fur friends. My GSD seems to be sensitive to things - not a full blown allergy but she gets itchy and I've noticed she and the guys (cats) shed more on certain foods. Our last dog a chocolate lab had food intolerance to some things as well. The site is now where I go when shopping as I frequently find that the store is out of whatever the flavor of the week is for the guys - for some reason they decide what's ambrosia today is crap tomorrow. And my GSD sometimes tires of her food, she's always been picky so feeding the crew can be challenging and I was glad to find a place that's done some of my homework

Old 11-25-2013, 12:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
chlorine and chloride are NOT the same thing, simply nourish is not the best food but it is one of the better ones
Chloride is just a water soluable salt used for preservation.
the salt we put on food is sodium chloride!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM

61 posts, read 244,693 times
Been using Nature's Receipe Lamb & Rice for awhile. Recently started using 4Health from TSC. Both have worked well with our Boxer.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I've had my dog on Acana duck and bartlett pear for a while now (maybe around six months) and all of her digestive issues have gone away! Thrilled. Her coat looks terrific too. She also gets a probiotic and salmon oil. Really, really happy with Acana.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I just changed over from Nature Balance to Taste of the Wild. There's not much difference in price, but all four of my dogs coats have improved, and no more dry and flaking skin. Also since it is grain free, a lot less poop to pick up. So glad I made the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs