Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

It doesn't happen every night or even most nights.
Just once in a while.

But my 5 year old smooth collie will get up and pace. Which is uber annoying because of the clicking of her nails.

Just walk in circles over and over all over the room, occasionally sit down, and then walk and walk and walk. No whining, no panting, no going to the door for bathroom, no coming to me for comfort.

And it only happens if I fall asleep on the couch in the family room (this never happens if we are asleep in the master bedroom).

Only deep in the night (3am or so), only in the family room, and not every time.

WTF is that?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Btw, she has her own bed in both the family room and the master (as well as another bed in the kitchen area)...so it's not because she's looking for a bed. Also, she has her own leather couch in the family room that is her favorite place to sit.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
My border collie paces a lot when he's nervous about something, or when he really has to poop.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
My border collie paces a lot when he's nervous about something, or when he really has to poop.
It creeps me out because I wonder what she might be nervous about.

She doesn't ask to go out to pee/poop and there have been no accidents.

One time I got up and we both went to the master bedroom and she went right to sleep on her bed.

I don't get it.

And she wasn't nervous at the beginning of the evening (before I fell asleep).

Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Maybe she is just a bit anxious that you are not in your bed where she feels you should be? I know when I fall asleep on the couch and if I do not wake up by 1 or 2 AM one of the dogs wakes me up with this" WTF aren't you going to bed ?" look. Dogs tend to be creatures of habit and I think they know you belong in bed in the night so why aren't you there?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Maybe she is just a bit anxious that you are not in your bed where she feels you should be? I know when I fall asleep on the couch and if I do not wake up by 1 or 2 AM one of the dogs wakes me up with this" WTF aren't you going to bed ?" look. Dogs tend to be creatures of habit and I think they know you belong in bed in the night so why aren't you there?
LOL, Dash!!!!!!

Maybe. I do tend to have bad habits and 50/50 my time there vs the bed.
The bad habits are because I have shift work that is sometimes 7a to 5p, sometimes 9p to 7a, and sometimes 2p to 12a...so there is no regular sleeping schedule or schedule for me to be in bed for the dogs.
As you can see, there are entire nights I am not home at all. She does not pace those nights (I know because she sleeps on her kitchen bed those nights and I can see on my security camera on my phone).

It would make sense if she did it every time, but it's more like every 5th or 6th time. Normally she just sleeps in the room with me.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And it only happens if I fall asleep on the couch in the family room (this never happens if we are asleep in the master bedroom).

Only deep in the night (3am or so), only in the family room, and not every time.

WTF is that?!
I missed this part...sounds like hearding to me

Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Dash posted exactly what I was thinking...but funnier. You have a herding breed and things are out of place, most notably the human thing in the house. She wants you where you belong at time of the night.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I agree with Dash Dog .
the moment I read you OP

Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
stan4...your dog senses something, or hears it...she's pacing because she's being alert...could be someone outside?..an animal? human or otherwise?..Whatever it is it bothers her...maybe she doesn't hear it when she sleeps in the master bedroom....She might feel more protective of you when you're both not in your usual room as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs