Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times

Advertisements

personally o don't think theres such a thing as too soon or too late because VERY human being is different, every human bing hanles greife and loss different ways at different paces...
f I lost all my dogs today within a wek id be looking for a new baby..not to replace hat id lost but because I don't feel whole without my animals and it HELPS me with the griving process..but whats right for me is not right for others...

in this case, YOU re not ready...and since the care falls on you THATS the key...if this was our brother wanting and being able to competly care and being ready for that responsibility fine go for it its not your business how he handles greif as ong as hes handling it...
BUT...
hes not putting in 100% of the care, you are, and YOU arnt ready...so the answer is NO to another dog right now plain and simple...

id makeit clear to him if he gets a dog hes 100% responsible for I,training, excersize feeding, monetary...youll REMIND him to do these thigns if he cant mentaly handle the schedually but you wont o it for him anymore...
if he cannot completely physically handle the care of a dog he simply cant have one...

if he can physically handle the care with ome reminders, and he has disabilities why not have him start looking into service dog programs? there are MANY out there working with disabilities of EVERY kind including o called "issues" (without knowing what his are its hard to direct you to a good starting pint on that front)

but again if He wants the dog he has to be capable an willing of caring for it because YOU are obviously not ready...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Right Foxy, I'm not and may never be. I'm happy with just Judy. I'm concerned she'll be aggressive toward another dog then what? It was a long difficult road with Bruno and I need time to recover but my real concern is Judy. I can't say, 'hey Jude, will you be ok with another dog in the house?'

Bleh. No easy solution, in fact the only solution is time.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Not excuses, if we get another dog the care will fall mostly to me. He's 66 however he is limited and has issues. He is capable of getting a dog without my consent, obviously not from a shelter but that's not the only source he works and has a small income although I handle most of his money. I have to be very careful how I approach the situation if I don't want another dog, which frankly I don't because it's a lot of responsibility in many ways but the financial drain of Bruno's final illness along with other recent issues has left us scrambling.

I'm using poor Judy as the reason, it's valid. She is food aggressive and that's a real concern. This is her home and she should be able to eat when she feels like it. I can't say to him as you would most people, you want the dog YOU take care of it, YOU train it because it won't happen. It isn't a matter of someone just being lazy, and me changing and making him do it - if it were that simple I'd have done that long ago! He has a mental disorder and this is the best I've seen him do.

I'm between the rock and the hard place. I'm very concerned about bringing a new dog into the house because of Judy at anytime, I don't want a puppy because I will have to train it, it's going to be a financial issue and I want a break. I've said all this but I doubt he heard me. I can and will get over my issues if we get another dog but my concern about Judy will remain.

I think since you are the head of the family.
You should make the decision since you are the wiser of the two.
I think in these circumstances a firm kind "No"
Maybe your Brother would settle for a small animal, a bird , cat etc.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Thanks abbara. We have quite a houseful, 3 cats and Judy although she's the easiest of dogs - she rarely asks to go out, and will do whatever I ask as soon as I ask. They're all great fur friends, I'm completely spoiled by them, I won the fur friend lottery with them =) Now my brother, that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs