U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM

533 posts, read 1,641,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
It is becoming very tempting, he is incredibly protective but is a complete kitten with us, fantastic nature and character.

He is only 20 months and has so far had 4 homes. He suffers from quite severe separation anxiety (no chewing just distressed when left)

Any suggestions from anyone or any good tips on managing this greatly received!
We had success with our pup and SA by practicing coming and going, over and over and over again. We would work our way up to extended lengths...first just a minute or two up to 30 minutes or so. I would sit in the garage and read mostly, but now we can actually leave and he's doing great! That practice combined with private obedience training has been helpful for us. Plus, we discovered with ours that he does MUCH better outside the crate. No more crate for him. He's not a chewer, either, (well, he only chewed the crate!) so we've been able to trust him alone. He's doing so much better! It takes some time, but I think most dogs can work through it with the right training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times
PC hurt his leg, so we're not taking him to the beach or park since he's not supposed to run too much. Our friends just got a house with a pool and invited us over. Swimming is supposed to be good for PC, so we took him with us. They have 5 dogs themselves, 3 of the most aggressive miniature pinschers you'll ever meet, a boxer mix and a Pit Bull (mix?) that's 12 years old and the sweetest thing ever. Here are some pictures.

PC loved standing on the first step and observed all the action from there:

She was growling at him from the water!!

And here is one of the min pins, her lovely personality shining through. All 3 are extremely dog aggressive and 2 of the 3 are human aggressive. Lovely bunch, I tell ya! Luckily, PC no longer puts up with yapping, barking, biting dogs and put all of his weight on this dog to shut it up. All 3 surrounded him, barked and bit his face and he's had enough! It was quite comical to see someone finally put one in its place! They're too small to do any real damage, which I assume is the reason for lack of training.

This is as close as I could get without getting my arm chewed off! Cute, but not friendly!

And Miss Winnie, going for a swim. She's 12 and so sweet. I love her.

This is the boxer mix:

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,890,090 times
awesome pictures and im talking about the color. Your camera is great.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,839,746 times
Mak all these pictures are superb!!! You are really good with these dog shots.
Poor PC. How did he hurt his leg?

I have a min pin. I've never seen him show his teeth like that and he's super sweet. He won't do anything without my big dog (a catahoula-lab mix). He's the big dog's shadow for everything.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Mak all these pictures are superb!!! You are really good with these dog shots.
Poor PC. How did he hurt his leg?

I have a min pin. I've never seen him show his teeth like that and he's super sweet. He won't do anything without my big dog (a catahoula-lab mix). He's the big dog's shadow for everything.
Thanks! We're not sure how he hurt his leg. He was with a pet sitter over July 4 weekend and came home limping and she won't admit to anything so we have no idea what happened. He's on meds, rest and is no longer limping but we're keeping him from running/playing fetch for the time being. I know he's a huge runner/jumper and he does that with us, so that's not news to us. I just wish if something did happen she would tell us because it would make the vet's life much easier than guessing what could possibly have happened.

And 2 of these min pins have 2 bites each reported against them already where they broke human skin (one just happened recently). The other one has 1. The one with the teeth baring is the mother, the other two are from the same litter and her sons. They're only 1 and they got them at 12 weeks, so I have no idea how and why they let it get to this point. The sad part is, they don't even get along with the other 2 dogs in their own house and try to bite the poor 12 year old who just lets them.

Last edited by MAK802; 07-20-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
awesome pictures and im talking about the color. Your camera is great.
Thank you! I've finally decided to learn what each and every button on my camera does and I've seen great improvements. When I compare my pictures from 2 years ago to now I can't believe the difference I see! The only thing that changed is my knowledge of composition, aperture, shutter speed, metering, white balance, etc. and it's helped immensely! I hate to admit it, but I used to shoot in Auto mode with a kit lens (that has been long gone!) and the pictures from 2 years ago clearly show that!And it helps that my subject is the most handsome little thing ever! (in my eyes anyway!)

Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,839,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Thanks! We're not sure how he hurt his leg. He was with a pet sitter over July 4 weekend and came home limping and she won't admit to anything so we have no idea what happened. He's on meds, rest and is no longer limping but we're keeping him from running/playing fetch for the time being. I know he's a huge runner/jumper and he does that with us, so that's not news to us. I just wish if something did happen she would tell us because it would make the vet's life much easier than guessing what could possibly have happened.

And 2 of these min pins have 2 bites each reported against them already where they broke human skin (one just happened recently). The other one has 1. The one with the teeth baring is the mother, the other two are from the same litter and her sons. They're only 1 and they got them at 12 weeks, so I have no idea how and why they let it get to this point. The sad part is, they don't even get along with the other 2 dogs in their own house and try to bite the poor 12 year old who just lets them.
That's too bad. Maybe you could suggest some obedience training? It's not fair to the older dog either. Don't the owners see this going on? How can they allow it?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
That's too bad. Maybe you could suggest some obedience training? It's not fair to the older dog either. Don't the owners see this going on? How can they allow it?
They're not the best dog owners, honestly. I'm beyond shocked that the rescue allowed them to take 3 dogs at once, into a house with 2 existing dogs. No questions asked, they just paid the fee. They own a pet store, so I guess the rescue assumed they are a good fit. They have access to some of the best trainers/behaviorists that they advertise at the store and actually give their customers great advice regarding obedience training, food, etc. But, they don't follow it, go figure.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,491,020 times
Great pictures of all those dogs.

Those MinPins can't be happy being so darn aggressive. Shame on their owners.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,851,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Great pictures of all those dogs.

Those MinPins can't be happy being so darn aggressive. Shame on their owners.
that is EXACTLY what i was thinking.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or