U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times

Advertisements

Heaven is a better place if Mia is in it. She must have been a wonderful friend.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM

532 posts, read 1,569,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfWaffles View Post
Hi there - My big boy is a Belgian Groenendael and I would say that your Chrissy definitely has some Belgian in her. Google photos of these dogs.... the muzzle and ear shape...so spot on.

Chrissy looks like she was a sweet girl! I'm sorry she is no longer with you but I'm sure you gave her a very happy life and she most certainly loved you for it
I agree with the Belgian Groendendael possibility.
I forget why we were researching dogs and breeds, but I came across a photo online of one, a b*tch with her puppies; the look she was giving the camera was the EXACT look Chrissy would give when the kittens tried to burrow in her coat. LOL! From there, we looked at more photos of the breed and we absolutely agree that that had to be what her dad was!

As a pup, she was neurotic and fearful. I remember her jumping at the crunch of a dried leaf under her paw, and when she first noticed her shadow. We did beginner obedience class with her and she did well. We repeated the class to continue her socialization. By the end of her life, she was the sweetest, most loving, protective dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 206,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post

As a pup, she was neurotic and fearful. I remember her jumping at the crunch of a dried leaf under her paw, and when she first noticed her shadow. We did beginner obedience class with her and she did well. We repeated the class to continue her socialization. By the end of her life, she was the sweetest, most loving, protective dog!
That sounds like a Belgian! They are HIGHLY sensitive dogs which, yes, can make them neurotic, but in the right (loving firm but gentle) hands they are the most AMAZING dogs! Your Chrissy sounds like such a great dog, I'm sure you miss her so much (((((hugs!)))))

Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 PM

532 posts, read 1,569,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfWaffles View Post
That sounds like a Belgian! They are HIGHLY sensitive dogs which, yes, can make them neurotic, but in the right (loving firm but gentle) hands they are the most AMAZING dogs! Your Chrissy sounds like such a great dog, I'm sure you miss her so much (((((hugs!)))))
Here she is, just a few days before we had her PTS. We had her shaved down for the summer. The groomer noticed she was holding herself oddly. Once home, she had bouts where it was almost like she was stretching her back but would get stuck. The bouts occurred more often and we took her to the emergency vet. Tests showed she had a mass at the base of her skull. In this photo, she was on steroids to keep her functioning long enough for her "boy" to get back home from Boy Scout camp... One last ride in the boat. Such a great girl! Probably my most favorite photo of her...
Attached Thumbnails
Pet Picture gallery-chrissy_boat.jpg  

Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,970,513 times
Lakeside Annie, your love for her shines through your words. Thank you for sharing her photos with us.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
they know

Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times

Old 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
They finally sat beside each other long enough to grab a pic, but of course one turns away ...

Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,367,647 times
I have a new dog. He's a rescue. I've had him for about 2 weeks. We've been to the vet 5 times: physical exam, x-rays, anal-gland expressing, surgery to remove a wart from his foot, intestinal worms. He's also an escape artist and knows how to unlock the kennel. And he had diarrhea in the house Monday. So it has LITERALLY been one thing after another. In today's episode of "Adventures in Ryder-land":

Ryder was good in the house today. No accidents, no destructive chewing. In general, no misbehavior...unless you count the fact that he ate a 4-pack of banana nut muffins -- which contained walnuts, which are bad for dogs, but I'll fret about that another day - - and an 8-pack of pita pockets. I'd left them on the counter. Grr. (Needless to say, he's not getting dinner. I tallied up the calorie intake: 2,640.)

Now....here's photographic evidence of what happens when a dog tries to eat more food than it can possibly handle. He tries to bury the parts he can't eat for a later snack. Smart, huh? But he can't dig a hole in carpet. (Or rather: Please, God...make sure he can't dig a hole in carpet!!) But he still goes through the motions of digging...and BURYING. Which is why he now has a bloody nose and I have bloody baseboards.

(To be fair to Ryder, Perfect Bandit did the same thing one day, and Ryder was much more conservative in today's shenanigans. He restricted himself to two caches in one room. Bandit bloodied 4 stretches of baseboard and 4 draperies, not to mention abundant square footage of carpet.)

Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM

15,158 posts, read 13,418,020 times
LOL! Nifty.

It's a good thing they are so worth it after you get all the kinks worked out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or