U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM

399 posts, read 437,611 times

Advertisements

We have a dog named Sparky who is obsessed by rocks!! She carries them with her all over and loves to play fetch with them. There is always a pile of rocks by her food dish because she has to set them down to eat. They are all over the lawn- watch out, lawnmower! If it is too big to get out of the ground, she will lay down by it and lick it. Seriously!! it's a rock!! crazy dog.

Any other goofy dog habits out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM

549 posts, read 755,738 times
LOL!!! I had a Golden who was obsessed with flashlights. We would put one on the coffee table and she would sit there for hours looking at it. She was such a funny girl.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM

874 posts, read 529,217 times
My border collie. Every morning when I'm in the bathroom getting ready for work, he has to come trotting in with one of his stuffed toys. And inevitably he does the same thing every time...he stands at the edge of the tub with his toy, waits a minute or two, and then drops it in. Then he stands there staring at it for a while, waits to see if I'm watching (and I never am, that he knows of...but I can see him in the mirror), and when he figures he's not getting my attention, he begins to woof. And woof. And woof again. When I finally turn around and look at him he wags his tail and looks at me, looks into the tub, back at me, woofs, looks into the tub, on and on it goes. Finally I have to tell him that I'm not getting his silly stuffed toy for him as he put it in there himself, so he can go and get it himself. And that's when he pretends that he just...can't...reach...stretching his head in and pretending to try and grab the toy, but not quite doing so. btw, half the time he can easily reach it, but he simply won't. No, he wants me to rescue his imperilled toy for him.The game goes on until either (a) I give in and salvage the toy, resulting in one very happy-chappy dog, or (b) I leave the bathroom.

No idea why he does this, but somehow it's his weird idea of fun.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,586,774 times
Our pup Teddy is obsessed with feet. Shoes, socks, and bare feet especially. I'll thorw off the covers during the night when my feet feel warm and I wake up a while later to Teddy licking or even chewing on my feet. He will even try to chew my shoes when I'm wearing them.

Bassetluv, that's such a cute story. Our retriever mix does something similar with balls that go under the sofa that she CAN reach. But she has to make us get up and get them for her.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM

4,251 posts, read 8,824,866 times
I laughed and Laughed as I read this as I think I know Sparky's Twin. My good friend has a dog named Buddy who has that same rock thing going for him. He would rather play fetch with a rock them with a ball, When we do our morning beach walks he ALWAYS has a rock in his mouth and expects Dave to toss it for him. Dave's car always has a ton of rocks in it too as Buddy insists on taking them with him!

The late Queen Jazz had a ball obsession which is not strange but when we went to my parents she would spend the day putting her ball in the swimming pool or asking someone to toss it in. Then she would take however long it took leaning over the edge to get it back out. If the filter was not on and some one tossed it out into the middle it could take a long time despite her licking and pawing at the water so If I was out I would get a stick and move it closer. One time all I could find was a hoola hoop and I held one side and reached out to loop the other side around the ball and pull it in closer for her . After watching me do it 2 or 3 times she realized she did not need me and she picked up the Hoola hoop in her mouth and used it to bring the ball in closer and soon that became part of her game. I have an Uncle who is a real smart scientist and he was visiting one time when we were there and he suddenly came running in the house yelling " you have to come out and see what that crazy dog is doing!" My dad looked out and saw her and said yeah she does that all the time My uncle was blown away that a dog was smart enough to use the hoola hoop as a tool. I think at that moment he realized just how smart the Queen was. She was by far the smartest dog I have ever know as she was not just smart she was clever and while she was a difficult dog do to fear aggression I feel so blessed to have been her owner as she was amazing..She had so many quirks and I miss that. R.I.P. My sweet girl

Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM

18,483 posts, read 22,786,193 times
Novelist Dean Koontz had a Golden Retriever named Trixie, who was a jokester. She would stare under a low piece of furniture as if there were something interesting underneath. Eventually, a human would come to "help" her, at which point Trixie would give a "made you look" grin.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM

784 posts, read 1,162,595 times
My 5-year-old Boston Terrier goes absolutely crazy when he sees dogs or other four legged animals on TV. He will literally try to jump on the TV and barks like crazy. I think he actually thinks the dogs are inside the TV. He also goes completely nuts when my boyfriend sneezes for some reason. He tends to sneeze really loudly and it drives my pup crazy. One time, my boyfriend was sitting in the chair and sneezed, which caused my pup to come charging at him and start humping and scratching his leg. It's actually quite funny lol.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,450,869 times
Judy loved squeak toys as a puppy. She'd grab one, run up to me, squeak it and take off. One survived without a puncture so I threw it in her toy basket. She no longer picks it up but when she's excited or wants our attention she'll go to the basket and squeak it. If she's excited or really wants attention she'll squeak it several times, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs