Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Terrible story - where my parents live, a woman was killed this past week, by a Bull Mastiff.

Initially, the headlines read "Local woman killed by pit bull." By the next day, the media had corrected itself in the body of the articles, but the headlines had been "corrected" for the most part to state "Local woman killed in dog attack" or that sort of thing. FINALLY the media headlines morphed into some version of "local woman killed by mastiff" or "bull mastiff."

No matter - the "comments" sections were FILLED with people demanding that pit bulls be banned! What the heck? The woman wasn't killed by a pit bull. But no matter - people were on a tangent.

My heart breaks for the family of the woman who was killed. But she wasn't killed by a pit bull.

Victim's Husband: 'I Want Stricter Dog Laws' - ArkansasMatters.com - Central Arkansas' Source for News, Weather, and Sports covering Little Rock, North Little Rock, Conway, Cabot, Searcy, Hot Springs, and the rest of Central Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
personally ive give up caring when people are that adamant...keep your wisdom panel results handy to show incase of reantal issues ect...

but generally "oh that's a beautiful pitbull" "why thanks but actually shes a mutt!"
"oh my god is that a pitbull" "actually no, shes mostly boxer with a few other breeds thrown in there"
Ect...
be polite, the ones who still don't get it simply don't get the attention shrug your shoulders and walk on.

ive had it with every breed ive owned...
our long hared Chihuahuas were papillions or Pomeranians because "chihuahaus don't have long hair"
my powderpuff Chinese crested is actually a poodle because "shes small and white and her hairs kind of curly"
my hairless Chinese crested is "sick" or "has mange" because hes naturally hairless
my previous dog was a corso American bulldog mix, MUCH too tall to even remotely close to a pitbull, but of course he HAD to be a pit....
and my Doberman is a "coonhound" because shes not had her ears cropped...

take the chance to educate those that seem open to it...
ignore the rest.
I just remembered that a couple of weeks ago this man asked if my dog was a giant Chihuahua. When I told him she was a Boxer-mix, he said, "She's kind of small." She's about the same size as your average female Boxer, but it doesn't matter because she could have been mixed with a smaller breed. It was just strange that he thought a nearly 60 lb dog could be a Chihuahua but not a Boxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Terrible story - where my parents live, a woman was killed this past week, by a Bull Mastiff.

Initially, the headlines read "Local woman killed by pit bull." By the next day, the media had corrected itself in the body of the articles, but the headlines had been "corrected" for the most part to state "Local woman killed in dog attack" or that sort of thing. FINALLY the media headlines morphed into some version of "local woman killed by mastiff" or "bull mastiff."

No matter - the "comments" sections were FILLED with people demanding that pit bulls be banned! What the heck? The woman wasn't killed by a pit bull. But no matter - people were on a tangent.

My heart breaks for the family of the woman who was killed. But she wasn't killed by a pit bull.

Victim's Husband: 'I Want Stricter Dog Laws' - ArkansasMatters.com - Central Arkansas' Source for News, Weather, and Sports covering Little Rock, North Little Rock, Conway, Cabot, Searcy, Hot Springs, and the rest of Central Arkansas
People often let their emotions and prejudices get in the way of facts.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:53 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,440 times
Horribly sad for all concerned. Doesn't matter what breed it was, it wasn't the breed that attacked the woman, it was an individual dog but explain that to someone who is overwrought, not thinking and reacting, All of which leads to over generalization as is shown here.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
People think any dog with a muscular chest and a round face is a pit bull. You should probably just say she is a Boxer mix if anyone asks.

That's funny about the giant Chihuahua. Where are you encountering these people? Your neighborhood or the dog park?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
OP, people are just stupid. I've been out with my girl dog and have had people ask if she was part fox. And they were serious.

Really?

When you are ready to move, try to get some kind of paperwork from a vet that states that your dog is not pitbull, if you run across ignorant people who won't rent to you because they are morons who think pitbulls are bad dogs.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
People think any dog with a muscular chest and a round face is a pit bull. You should probably just say she is a Boxer mix if anyone asks.

That's funny about the giant Chihuahua. Where are you encountering these people? Your neighborhood or the dog park?
Yes, mostly the neighborhood and the dog park. I can't really blame people for thinking she might be a pit mix; it's just annoying when people insist it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OP, people are just stupid. I've been out with my girl dog and have had people ask if she was part fox. And they were serious.

Really?
That's even funnier than calling a 57 lb dog a giant Chihuahua...or maybe not. I don't know.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:

Really?

When you are ready to move, try to get some kind of paperwork from a vet that states that your dog is not pitbull, if you run across ignorant people who won't rent to you because they are morons who think pitbulls are bad dogs.
True dat.

We have two rescued dogs - both were abandoned in the woods as very young puppies, around the same time though they are not siblings (neighbors found one litter and everyone in the neighborhood ended up with dogs that all look alike, and the other was brought in to our vet,who called us and asked if we would take him).

Our girl dog is pretty large - 75 pounds - and she's a black lab mixed with something else. Our vet told us it was some sort of pit bull/boxer/American bulldog but he didn't run a DNA test and made sure that our paperwork on her says "lab mix" - PERIOD. Anything else would be speculation, but also, he wanted to be sure that she was never targeted by any group on a rampage against pit bulls. Actually, my money would be on "lab/boxer" due to her build and size.

By the way, she is four years old and there isn't an aggressive bone in her body - she's the biggest and most loving baby in the world! Now - I wouldn't leave ANY young child alone with a big dog - not because I'm worried about the dog being aggressive, I'm more worried about the CHILD being aggressive and the dog feeling as if she must defend herself. But my grandkids (ages 3-11) absolutely love this big, gentle dog. They are constantly all over her, laying against her as they play video games, running around with her in the yard, etc. She LOVES it!

Here's a recent picture of her - she looks really sad in this picture, but it's only because she hates having her picture taken! It worries her. I think she looks very noble, though. What a great nose on that girl!

She has a very big and deep chest and all sorts of loose skin around her neck and chest. She is not even a very good guard dog because she's so laid back that she rarely feels the need to bark at anything or anyone (though she will bark at thunder - she loves storms). Even so, when we moved into this neighborhood and I went to the first neighborhood street party (we have several of those a year) word had already spread that we were "the ones with the pit bull."

Here are our two babies together - I thought this was a funny picture (they look so guilty - because they WERE!) and captures just how "dangerous" my "pit bulls" are - dangerous maybe to a potted plant.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-25-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
. I've been out with my girl dog and have had people ask if she was part fox. And they were serious.
That's funny!

My son has a female that has a head that looks very fox-like. I think she is a blend of corgi and beagle. Her fur even has a little red in it. She has short legs and the chest of a corgi and the voice of a beagle.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,440 times
LOL that's too funny! My girl is half GSD and she looks a lot like your dog and we go through the same thing. She's got a white blaze on her chest. I don't know how to insert pics as you did but will attach her pic. She's a great watch dog and protective, she act like a GSD but is friendly and good with animals even when leashed. She's met a possum and an armadillo as well as the neighborhood cat (someone moved and left it so the neighbors care for it) and has merely walked up to each and either looked at them or attempted to poke them. She likes to poke things, she pokes our cats, her toys and the trash if we leave a bag of it out. (She's never torn it apart which amazes me)

Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Most people fawn over my dog because she has a puppy-like face, but every once in awhile, there's that person who is hesitant about getting near her because he/she thinks my dog is a pit bull. I usually tell people she's a Boxer-mix, and they seem satisfied with that answer. If I say anything about lab or GSD, they'll say, "I don't see it," until I point out her GSD ears.

If it helps, my dog is about 57 lbs and 21 in. tall. Whether or not she is mixed with pit bull can be debatable, but she is definitely not pure bred. One guy told me he can't tell pit bulls and Rottweilers apart. How can you not tell those two apart?

That is wrong. I am so tired of people trying to shelter Pitbull types under the Boxer breed. If you love and believe in the Pitty types, don't use Boxers to hide, please. Stand up. I had a lady stand at her door and say-- " that's a bad dog--keep that dog at home". I have Boxers, I walk each (3) singularly to ensure they are safe. So non-dog people confuse a Boxer with a Pitbull--though I really have nothing against a Pitbull....they are NOT a Boxer!!! STOP HIDING UNDER THE BREED! Even shelters do it!!!

It is not fair and it is causing HUGE problems. STOP it! There is already one breed that is being targeted, why cause another to fall into that hell hole?! Just stop, please. If your dog isn't a Boxer, don't say it is. Don't use their good reputation to hide your shame. Be proud of whatever dog you own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs