Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Is this a troll thread? No parent uses the term "abortion" in front of a child. Or even discuses the situation.
There were no puppies. The dog was taken to the vet for a medical procedure.

The real issue is poor parenting if the parent announced the dog was going to go get an abortion.
There should have been no discussion about the dog having puppies knowing that she was a puppy herself and could not safely carry them.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,595 times
lol! I cant with this thread. I'm surprised a child even knew the word ""abortion""

Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
lol! I cant with this thread. I'm surprised a child even knew the word ""abortion""
If the television is ever on, you'd be surprised at what kids learn about at very young ages. Try explaining what the word abortion means to a 3 year old sometime.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
This was pretty obvious. SOMEONE [all of you] has exposed this child to entirely TOO MUCH INFORMATION. If my parents couldn't keep their traps SHUT they would NOT BE around my KID.

Move or not, this is something she'll remember for the rest of her life. Rational or not.

Unless you waited until the dog was huge with puppies, she had no reason to even think twice about a "spay". The learning experience was for YOU. Learn to protect your kid from toxic grandparents. They are just strangers she happens to be connected to by birth.

And please don't leave your dog outside. They are pack animals and psychologically need their pack around them.
There are kids raised in homes where the parents care a whole lot about grown-up issues.
When I was a kid I sometimes heard my parents talk about politics and other such topics with their friends and since I was a kid who read a lot and was very curious, they didn't feel that it was a problem
for me to be interested in what they were saying.

I don't see the problem and when my future kids ask about grown-up issues, I'll engage them.

What a strange way to think of grandparents, btw.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post

By the way...here's a parenting tip from someone who's been one for a while. Just tell your kid the truth. Obviously, try to leave out nightmare-inducing details, if possible....but jeez, use every opportunity to show your kids you care. Treat them like they're not too stupid to understand. Kids can handle information....just don't lie to them. I see so many parents acting "afraid". Good grief, just be the kind of parents that YOU as an adult, would have liked to have. Imagine your child as an adult, stepping out on their own. Have you equipped them with enough knowledge and life lessons, to be able to make it on their own? If so, ya did good.

OP...you handled it the best you knew how. People make mistakes....ALL people, and kids need to know that too. Your daughter needs to understand that, just like Giggles...you guys had to make this move, because it was the BEST decision for your family. She needs to know that she is not the ONLY one who left her life behind and has to start over again. You're all in the same boat...act like it.
I thoroughly approve of your approach.

I've had my issues with my own parents but one thing I will always remember fondly is that they generally did not treat me like baby and did not believe in the sheltering that so many parents seem to believe in. When I asked Mom about war one day, she didn't just tell me to not think about such grow-up stuff. We sat down and she talked to me for what seemed like a very long time! She probably doesn't remember that conversation but I do and I enjoyed it very very much.
The only kids who should be sheltered somewhat are those that are unusually sensitive.
Normal kids can learn about lots of things and be fine, imho.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
I'd admit you made a mistake. You should have had her spayed MUCH earlier before this ever became an issue. As pet owners you're responsible for the safety and health of your pet. When you realized your mistake, you corrected it as soon as possible, that meant spaying her so she wouldn't be harmed by the pregnancy and birth.

The End. Sometimes in life despite your best intentions you make a mistake and then you have to do what's best, even when it's hard.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
I really cannot see where this is a dog issue - perhaps for the Parenting forum. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs