Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,850 times

Advertisements

A little about myself first:former military, hyperacusis from there has caused me to have daily migraines, some small and some cluster.
If you've never had a migraine in your life, be thankful, you are blessed not to know one.
Having said that, i can't tolerate rat-type dogs, kids being loud, squeaky brakes, sirens, ice cream trucks etc...
High-pitched noises are the worst kind, i sometimes fall or drop into the fetal position from so much pain, i can't ever be a normal person and go out to see a movie, go to the park when it's crowded, or enjoy a stroll with my wife to window shop.
I'm not looking for sympathy, or pity, all this is to point out why i'm complaining.
We are planning to move out a.s.a.p. But my wife is the only one working, i have had jobs in the past, but when i suffer from a migraine at a daily basis, it's difficult to hold a job.

My neighbors, which i have dubbed ''pleasantville'', allow and encourage each other to have the dogs either bark in concert, or stagger barking, allow me to explain:
The neighbor adjacent to us is the matriarch of all the circus and orchestrates/synchronizes/organizes the neighborhood gang to allow their neurotic k9's to either roam around or stagger bark(domino effect).

All this originated because she has a history of having a vindictive behavior.

Her pack of rats crawled under my fence, killed 2 of my chickens, i went to have a chat with her, she only said "sorry 'bout yer chickens", turned around and walked away.
No mention of replacing my stock, no ''can i pay you for them''?

8 minutes later, she walks over to my gates and studies how her dogs got in, the neighbor on our right starts talking with her, and this ''lady'' asks an unbelievable question: ''why doesn't he put some bricks or blocks so my dogs don't get in his yard again''? Are you serious? Her dogs were loose in the street, (leash law violation), trespassed on our property, and killed our chickens, and she wanted me to block her dogs from coming in?

NOW SHE ORCHESTRATES AND INITIATES THE A.M BARKING CONCERTS & THE P.M. STAGGER BARKING.

BTW, SHE HAS MANY ''FRIENDS'' IN MANY FIELDS OF WORK, ANIMAL CONTROL BEING ONE OF THEM,
NO WONDER SHE HAS GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT FOR ALMOST 16 YEARS!!!

IF YOU EVER WANT TO VISIT ''PLEASANTVILLE'' BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 0630-0800 OR 1700-1930, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, AND LET'S NOT FORGET SAT&SUN, THAT'S WHEN CODE ENFORCEMENT OR ANIMAL CONTROL ARE NOT IN OPERATION...

THE REASON WHY WE'RE STILL HERE IS BECAUSE OF OUR FINANCIAL SITUATION, IF WE HAD $15-$20K WE'D BE MOVING OUT AND MOVING INTO A GATED COMMUNITY OR BACK TO THE MIDWEST, NOW IF WE HAD $90K, THEN I COULD HAVE THAT OP, BUT THAT'S NOT AN OPTION, SO WE STICK WITH MOVING FOR NOW. ANY LEGAL IDEAS OUT THERE AS TO WHAT I CAN DO W/O GOING TO COURT? THANK YOU ALL.

Last edited by STUNTMANJUS; 12-02-2013 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: I WASN'T FINISHED AND HIT THE WRONG KEY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Sounds like your in a No Win situation. Fix the fence. At least then the dogs cant kill your chickens. 2nd try to find something you can listen to to block the barking. You also might try one of those No Bark gizmos. There are tons out there. I seen them adv As Seen on TV...but never had to use any...dont know if they work. After you hopefully get some peace the INGNORE her & her dogs! Cause the move you try to even be nice the move they get nasty!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Call the police/dog control, interacting with her at all will not help. Also, video tape this to document what is going on otherwise it turns into he said she said.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
JUST another thought!!! Call the GAME Warden! Chickens are considered Livestock not pets. IF she has the Local Dog warden in her pocked going State Game warden might help! BTW in the State of WV We can Shoot dogs that harrase/kill livestock! My uncle use to shot dogs with rock salt... & I used pure Vinager in those kids toy guns that shoot 50 Feet!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I had a neighbor who was successfully sued for a barking dog. Check with a lawyer. My next door neighbor's dog is the same way, but mostly barks when we are in the back yard. One fix was to turn on the lawnmower, which made the dog bark, and just left it run. I held the bar on the handle down with duct tape. Finally, he took the dog in. I also have an air horn, which I may use some day. A blast of that in the face can't be a good experience for a dog.

I suppose one idea would to play some rap music real loud outside. That might help.

I suppose the other thing you could do is devise a block to keep the dogs out of your yard. Then, when its convenient, let the dogs in your yard, and then out, so that they are loose. Maybe they'll run away. Then put the block back in and claim ignorance.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
how noisy are your chickens? maybe the dog orchestra is payback for your hens or roosters annoying the neighborhood?
just a thought, if they are quiet (to everyone, not just you) excuse the question.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Honestly, this seems very strange to me. You're basically saying that an entire neighborhood is getting together to harass you by encouraging their dogs to bark at set times on a daily basis. They have to listen to the barking dogs as well, and I can imagine nothing more annoying that - and I grew up with a pack of hound dogs in my back yard, so I know barking. Further, I can't imagine anyone wanting to encourage this behavior as it would mean that the dogs would likely take it as permission to bark at other times. YOu'd also have to be living in a neighborhood full of sociopaths.

I simply find your assertions hard to believe. In my neighborhood though, those times are when everyone is leaving and coming home. That could be the effect you are experiencing - dogs barking at times when there is a lot of movement in the neighborhood.

I empathize - I get terrible headaches that can leave me curled up in my bed for days. But I also know that pain makes me a bit irrational. I have actually contemplated sticking a pin in my eardrum to relieve the pressure in my head -they're that bad. You may be feeling paranoid about your neighborhood because you're in so much pain.

Tape record the barking episodes on a digital recorder, and build your case with evidence. And get some noise-cancelling headphones for the time being.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,792 times
There is medication for migraines.

believe it is Imitrex.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times
Abbara that's a rescue remedy, there are many meds for migraines that are taken daily and they work! but none for barking dogs that I'm aware of however, but I don't think that's the issue here.

Seems to me the issue isn't dogs, it's humans and their behavior which has spiraled out of control and no one has the sense to re-group, reassess, reconsider and readdress the situation to find a livable solution. While it's possible that there is a general vendetta in the neighborhood against the OP, people do develop mob mentality sometimes, the OP sounds like a combat vet and may have PTSD and not have endeared himself to his neighbors. The OP might do well to seek assistance through a service organization like the VFW or American Legion or even the VA, it's not something he's going to be able to resolve on his own and sadly I don't think the geographical cure is going to work either.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:29 PM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
My suggestion is that you block your gate and repair the fence so that the stray dogs can't get in. It doesn't do you much real good to allow dogs to kill your birds and then sit and complain about it. It might not be nice for her to allow her dogs loose, but that does not negate your responsibility to protect your own livestock.

I've been a dog trainer for decades. My dogs are very clever and have won lots of titles. However, I can't think of anyway that I could coordinate all the neighborhood dogs to bark in just the right way to annoy a neighbor. I hope you are getting proper treatment for your paranoia.

Call animal control and complain about the barking. Complain enough times and they will come out and suggest to her that she keep her dogs quiet. It does you no good to tell us about it because we can't do anything about it. You have to complain to the people who have the power to do something about it.

If you call animal control a few times and get no response, write a letter of complaint to the mayor. He doesn't want to hear about it and he will call animal control and ream them for not taking care of it before the complaint gets to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs