Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

Preferably one that does not shed too much and is socially balance, not too friendly of strangers but not too independent that becomes a loner. I am not looking for big dogs. Medium and small-medium will do.

I also want to take them to ocassional walks and play with him/her.

Also does gender matter? Are males going to run off and jump over the fence to look for a mate? Are females going to be attracting too much male attention?

The house is fenced all around, medium size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
A "Watch Dog" is a dog who's primary purpose is alerting. That means its a noise maker. Any dog that yaps a storm when someone or something disturbs the norm will make a good watch dog. Some "Watch Dogs" will act out during an alert; meaning they basically become bouncing ball noise makers. By their very definition, they do not ACT upon any disturbance to the norm beyond being a wired noisy spaz. Many watch dogs are just loud lovable dogs that won;t hurt anyone.

A "Guard Dog" acts upon the disturbance according to their training. Guard dogs are not pets and PETS are not guard dogs.

Now, are you looking for a "watch" dog or something closer to a "guard" dog? Many (I included) do not believe in using our pets as security devices unless the security function is a side trait and not the primary purpose. I find many people get a pet and treat it like a security device and soon the pet is no longer a pet but a tool.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 PM

74 posts, read 136,399 times
Don't get a dog. Get some motion detecting spotlights, surveillance cameras, and maybe a gun if your eligible to legally own one.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A "Watch Dog" is a dog who's primary purpose is alerting. That means its a noise maker. Any dog that yaps a storm when someone or something disturbs the norm will make a good watch dog. Some "Watch Dogs" will act out during an alert; meaning they basically become bouncing ball noise makers. By their very definition, they do not ACT upon any disturbance to the norm beyond being a wired noisy spaz. Many watch dogs are just loud lovable dogs that won;t hurt anyone.

A "Guard Dog" acts upon the disturbance according to their training. Guard dogs are not pets and PETS are not guard dogs.

Now, are you looking for a "watch" dog or something closer to a "guard" dog? Many (I included) do not believe in using our pets as security devices unless the security function is a side trait and not the primary purpose. I find many people get a pet and treat it like a security device and soon the pet is no longer a pet but a tool.

Yeah just a regular watch dog that is aware of its surroundings.

I am looking for something a little smaller than a labrador, a tap bit less energetic, and little more low maintanance. I had a labrador before, good dog, but now i am looking for something a little smaller.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 PM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
I would suggest a good old mixed mutt Any dog will be as good as you make it by the time you spend training and bonding. If you want low shed stay away from labs and all other double coated dogs. I swear my ??mixed dog sheds like crazy 10.5 months of the year lol. Also get a dog that is a little older like 2 or 3 or 4 or even older. they will have all if not most of there crazy puppy energy over with. Spay or nueter the dog if you concerned of the behaviors of an unaltered dog (i think all dogs should be S/N)

Specific breed that come to mind is Boston Terriers.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:00 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Any dog that isn't stuffed should be aware of its surroundings. I'd go to my local rescue or shelter and ask the staff for recommendations, they can tell you what the dogs are mixed with and about their background. All of my dogs with one exception have been rescue/shelter dogs, even our pedigreed chocolate lab was from the shelter.

What makes a great dog is the human. Good bonding and training will result in a lifelong bond with your dog. Gentle, consistent training will result in getting your dog to be the worlds' best watch dog and it will do whatever you ask that it's capable of doing. I know because my 60 lb GSD mix does.

If she's chasing a squirrel, for example, and I say 'stop,' she does, she doesn't keep going or run a couple of more steps, she stops. If someone offers her something wonderful she sniffs it and waits, if I say, 'ok' she takes it, if not she doesn't. If I say sit, she sits. If I open my arms wide she runs to me, I don't need to speak a word - that wasn't an intentional command, I didn't realize she learned it, I used to do it when I called her as a puppy.

I never raise my voice or my hand to her. She walks easily on the leash. I can leave my food anywhere and she won't touch it - yours and the cats is another story! She's not perfect! LOL But she alerts if there is something unusual happening, if someone comes into my home she is watchful but not aggressive. She'll play with me and tries to play with the cats but they think she's crazy.

I didn't 'officially' train her, I did it as the opportunity presented itself. When I fed her I made her sit, when we played I used commands I wanted her to learn. It made it easy for both of us and now she's a great companion and watch dog, so much so that my neighbors have told me when she barks THEY look out their windows to see what's up.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I also want to take them to ocassional walks
Occasional being...?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 AM

It seems like you guys think ill just put the dog on the back yard and leave it there.

No, i will take care of the dog.

I go running every morning to the nearby park.

There has been some sketchy stuff going around the neighborhood recently. I want a dog to alert just in case some stranger enters the property.

I know how to take care of a dog,I just don't know much about the variety of dogs.

Wanting a low maintenance dog does not mean i am going to neglect it.

I am looking for a dog that is a litte smaller than a labrador. I don't care about the dog's appearance, and i have no problem going nearby dog shelter.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
It seems like you guys think ill just put the dog on the back yard and leave it there.

No, i will take care of the dog.

I go running every morning to the nearby park.

There has been some sketchy stuff going around the neighborhood recently. I want a dog to alert just in case some stranger enters the property.

I know how to take care of a dog,I just don't know much about the variety of dogs.

Wanting a low maintenance dog does not mean i am going to neglect it.

I am looking for a dog that is a litte smaller than a labrador. I don't care about the dog's appearance, and i have no problem going nearby dog shelter.

You have to LOVE how protective people are of dogs on here.
Luv Em!
All wonderful people.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
The thing which conerns me is your use of Affordable. Do you mean initial cost? Too many people are totally unaware of how much good dog upkeep costs. Proper(non grocery store) grain freee dog food, grooming when needed, toys, leashes, blankets and of course vet care. That is the biggie. Too many people relinquish dogs to shelters cause they can't afford proper vet care. Get a substantial savings account set up before you look for a dog.

The dog will be happiest if walked several times a day and not stuck to live a lonely life outside in a filthy yard and dog house. Not saying you would do this but too frequently it happens.

i've never had a dog that wasn't a good watch dog. They all bark when they feel a stranger in near their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs