U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times

Advertisements

I see now that you said you did leave instructions for them to wrap the tail, but they didn't......was it a written instruction that the vet can see in the file?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM

575 posts, read 3,464,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
Chick, how do you keep the dog from chewing through the soft pipe insulation?
Keep an eye on them if they go for it, NO. They listen well. Buy I know what you mean about them chewing. Possibly something foul tasting smeared on it? or even the head halo. I try anyhting to save the braid if one of mine had a boo boo.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM

836 posts, read 2,994,788 times
I comepletely agree with what you are saying and yes we had second thoughts about leaving her again due to this problem but since they would wrap the tail each timewe left them we felt we had no worries. We didn't have any disputes about paying the boarding fees..It is just the surgery fees they should be responsible for ..however if they don't pay it we will not have any hard feelings towards them, they are very good doctors to our dogs.. and like I said before we never had any issues until now.. And NO we will never leave them again. That was the last time. Next time we will take them with us.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM

389 posts, read 3,287,907 times
I am kind of torn on this one. First off, we can't pad the runs we kennel dogs in because they would get destroyed by jumpers, scratchers, and eaters (which is a whole other liability when we have to go in and do surgery to remove foam from a dogs digestive tract).

Before you get too upset, I would talk with the vet and see what they are willing to do for you, it may be a quick and easy discussion where they are agreeable to covering some costs. Another thought for the future is to find a kennel that has deluxe type accomodations. We offer some that are larger and have really nice furniture in them.

Bottom line, the vet staff should have followed you instructions on wrapping the tail, but as someone mentioned, since this seems to have happened before, they may try to call it a continuing problem or pre-existing condition.

Good luck, and I hope happy tail is still happy if it's a bit shorter

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,804 times
Are you sure they didn't wrap it at all? Did they say that? Or are you assuming because of the injury that they made no attempt? I've wrapped tails before, sometimes it stays on and other times they chew it off. So it is possible that they wrapped it and then the dog took the wrapping on? If I were the boarding facility I wouldn't feel liable if I did my best because it could happen to the owner. If I didn't do anything to prevent it/didn't care then I would feel liable to pay a portion of the surgery. If they didn't wrap it then I'd think they'd volunteer to discount it since it happened while she was being boarded there.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM

No they told us they forgot to wrap her tail and realized it was too late after she hit her tail and it ripped opened.. I don't blame them for this happening.. because we knew it could happen again.. but I do believe in some way they should knock the cost down since they did not do what we ask.. I am waiting the call of the Owner/Doctor he is very nice and I am hoping he can do something for us since he knew it happened he was the one that checked her out after it happened.

And I understand they can pad the walls with foam however there is thin rubber padding or something they could use on the walls that won't harm the dog they usually don't chew on that stuff unless people let them chew on their walls at home..Since they say this happens frequently with other dogs as well.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
No they told us they forgot to wrap her tail and realized it was too late after she hit her tail and it ripped opened.. I don't blame them for this happening.. because we knew it could happen again.. but I do believe in some way they should knock the cost down since they did not do what we ask.. I am waiting the call of the Owner/Doctor he is very nice and I am hoping he can do something for us since he knew it happened he was the one that checked her out after it happened.
Hopefully the surgery will prevent the tail being torn open again, I wish your dog the best.

There was some human error on their part for not at least attempting to wrap the tail, but, IMO, I don't think that would equate the cost of the entire surgery, maybe more like a token amount as a gesture of goodwill (a small percentage discount). It'll be interesting to hear what the vet offers.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post

And I understand they can pad the walls with foam however there is thin rubber padding or something they could use on the walls that won't harm the dog they usually don't chew on that stuff unless people let them chew on their walls at home..Since they say this happens frequently with other dogs as well.
After reading this entire thread, yes I feel it should be a shared bill. Because you asked they wrap the tail and they admittingly denied doing such until the tail was bloody.

As far as padding a kennel, no that can't be done due to dogs chewing on it and ingesting. I see that you feel if a dog doesn't chew walls at home, they won't at the kennel either, WRONG! After nearly six years of working at a boarding hotel I can promise you that pets can and do have different behaviors at the hotel than they do at home. At our kennel we've discovered fence jumpers, rock eaters, happy tails and other instances that never occured at home to the owner's knowledge. One case of happy tail was rather interesting, the owner was blaming their other dog for chewing on one dog's tail, when it turn after the two were boarded separately it was finally discovered that it was happy tail.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone has given me..
Yes the Vet did give us a discount.. we had her tail amputated yesterday. The doctor had to amputate half of her tail (which was 2foot long) she seems to be feeling better,.. now we hope it heals since she still has happy tail and she has been whacking it up against things..yikes..

Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
Glad your girl is doing well and glad the vet came thru with a discount. She sure had a long tail! Happy the tail whacking is a thing of the past!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or