Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times

Advertisements

First off I have to say thank you to dvflyer for sending me a book called all dogs need some training by Liz Palika...It is a great book for first time dog owners. I now have read three books and none of them give me any insight of what hand signals to use when training your dog. All three books give great tips on how to do certain tricks but not hand signal. Can you all help me here?

I am currently using hand signals for:
Sit- My right arm bend up
Down- my righ arm bend down
Stay- I show her the hand
Heel- I put my arm on the outer left leg.
Roll- I make a circle close to her head
Hand Shake - I put my hand out
Come- Wave my hand to my belly button

Can anyone give me tips on what hand signals to use for these tricks?
Spin-
crawl-
Stand-
Back-
Forward-
If any other trick that I haven't mention please mention as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
First off I have to say thank you to dvflyer for sending me a book called all dogs need some training by Liz Palika...It is a great book for first time dog owners. I now have read three books and none of them give me any insight of what hand signals to use when training your dog. All three books give great tips on how to do certain tricks but not hand signal. Can you all help me here?

I am currently using hand signals for:
Sit- My right arm bend up
Down- my righ arm bend down
Stay- I show her the hand
Heel- I put my arm on the outer left leg.
Roll- I make a circle close to her head
Hand Shake - I put my hand out
Come- Wave my hand to my belly button

Can anyone give me tips on what hand signals to use for these tricks?
Spin-maybe a corkscrew movement with your arm
crawl-
Stand-I use my hand kind of closed (all fingertips touching) and put it in front of the nose and open my hand as I pull away from the nose
Back-I push out with both hands
Forward-I use the classic 'come here' hand gesture

If any other trick that I haven't mention please mention as well.
really any hand signal you come up with in the moment is good as long as you are consistent. I did an internship with dolphins for a while, and they had some of the oddest signals ever, but it was what they used to capture the behavior in the moment and couldn't change it

Happy training.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
yup

whatever signals you use will work if used consistently. I think that's aweomse that you are using signals. I have a friend who uses signals w/ her agility dog because he's deaf, it's kinda cool.
I use signals w/ Cody like 50% of the time.

I point my pointer finger in a circle to indicate a right or left turn.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

I am also using voice commands too but using both for awhile until she gets it.... It cool how she get alot of them quickly because I do both and I know she is paying attention to me because of the hand signals as well

Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
I have deafies so I have to use hand signals, but even the hearing dogs know the signals. (I too used both verbal and hand commands when training my hearing dogs.) Whatever is easy for you to remember and do consistently is what will work the best--simpler is easier. If you need some ideas, check out a website on American sign language and go from there. (hmmm, now that I've looked at other poster's responses, basically I just said, "Yeah, what they said." Yikes!)

Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
Quote:
I am also using voice commands too but using both for awhile until she gets it.... It cool how she get alot of them quickly because I do both and I know she is paying attention to me because of the hand signals as well
u can use both commands, I do!
dogs actually learn body language quicker then voice. It is fun!
Doggies are fun to teach!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 AM

133 posts, read 750,621 times
Quote:
First off I have to say thank you to dvflyer for sending me a book called all dogs need some training by Liz Palika...It is a great book for first time dog owners.
. You're welcome.

Ditto to what everyone else said. Any hand signal will work. Just make sure you're consistent. Maybe you could even use goofy hand signals... like rub your stomach means spin. Or pat your head means "x". etc. Would be fun while showing off your dog's tricks.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvflyer View Post
. You're welcome.

Ditto to what everyone else said. Any hand signal will work. Just make sure you're consistent. Maybe you could even use goofy hand signals... like rub your stomach means spin. Or pat your head means "x". etc. Would be fun while showing off your dog's tricks.
What a great idea...Now all I have to do is dress up like a Clown

Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Ok I finally figured out what to do for spin and stand but crawl Now that is hard one.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:04 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
I trained my Springler Spaniel strickly American sign language and no voice. She knew about 30 signs.
The sign for stand: right palm facing up, left two index fingers pointing on top of right palm. This indicates two legs (right index fingers)
Spin: I think might be right index finger pointing down rotating clockwise. I would have to look this up to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs