Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
Simple geta new bf
Fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM

278 posts, read 308,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
After what 5 yrs of no training his Willing to make an Effort...rrriiiggghhhttt

Poor Cat.....
Clap clap

Old 12-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Lightbulb Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Fail.
Honey please. You're a cat lady he's a dog guy. It will never last. I think deep down you and Punkin know this.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:39 PM

107 posts, read 152,064 times
I will start by saying that I know nothing about living with cats and dogs in the same house at the same time as I have always had either one or the other at any given time.

It sounds as if the dogs really need some basic training...perhaps you can start by enrolling them in classes? Each of you could take a dog to class and then work on some one-on-one training at home. Obviously, someone will have to go with the third dog too (one of you can do it at a different time or maybe you have a friend/family member who would like to help out). I can't even imagine trying to train 3 dogs on my own at the same time...maybe it can be done by someone with awesome dog training skills, but that is not me, and you already know that isn't you or your boyfriend either.

Also, would it help for the cat to meet each dog one at a time? I'm just thinking that your kitty might be feeling pretty freaked out when a pack of three unruly pups is charging at her all at once...I would be! Even my puppy gets upset when several dogs approach her at once at the dog park. I really don't even know how you would do it, maybe just be in the room with one pup and your cat and keep the others out while you are on the computer or reading or something...possibly even having the pup crated so your cat can come to investigate him/her safely...it might even take a few days at a time.

I agree that the dogs should not be using the house as their toilet...they simply have never been trained properly. Foxywench offered you some wonderful advice on dealing with that.

This will be challenging for you and your boyfriend, but you can work through it if you are both on board and have a plan that you will both follow. I don't think your relationship is doomed because of this...your boyfriend probably never even realized how out of control his dogs were until someone (you) came in and pointed it out. If the two of you decide to marry, this will only be one of many more challenges ahead of you, because that's just how life with another person works. Seriously, just take the dogs to basic obedience classes and follow through with your class "homework"...the two of you may really enjoy the time spent together learning how to train the dogs and you will have dogs who won't drive you nuts anymore. The time spent on training those dogs now will be SO worth it!

I wish you, your boyfriend, the three pups and your cat lots of luck!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
Honey please. You're a cat lady he's a dog guy. It will never last. I think deep down you and Punkin know this.
It's not a cat or dog person thing. I wouldnt mind them at all if they were better trained. THAT IS WHY I AM LOOKING FOR TIPS ON HOW TO DO JUST THAT!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldydrgnfly View Post
I will start by saying that I know nothing about living with cats and dogs in the same house at the same time as I have always had either one or the other at any given time.

It sounds as if the dogs really need some basic training...perhaps you can start by enrolling them in classes? Each of you could take a dog to class and then work on some one-on-one training at home. Obviously, someone will have to go with the third dog too (one of you can do it at a different time or maybe you have a friend/family member who would like to help out). I can't even imagine trying to train 3 dogs on my own at the same time...maybe it can be done by someone with awesome dog training skills, but that is not me, and you already know that isn't you or your boyfriend either.

Also, would it help for the cat to meet each dog one at a time? I'm just thinking that your kitty might be feeling pretty freaked out when a pack of three unruly pups is charging at her all at once...I would be! Even my puppy gets upset when several dogs approach her at once at the dog park. I really don't even know how you would do it, maybe just be in the room with one pup and your cat and keep the others out while you are on the computer or reading or something...possibly even having the pup crated so your cat can come to investigate him/her safely...it might even take a few days at a time.

I agree that the dogs should not be using the house as their toilet...they simply have never been trained properly. Foxywench offered you some wonderful advice on dealing with that.

This will be challenging for you and your boyfriend, but you can work through it if you are both on board and have a plan that you will both follow. I don't think your relationship is doomed because of this...your boyfriend probably never even realized how out of control his dogs were until someone (you) came in and pointed it out. If the two of you decide to marry, this will only be one of many more challenges ahead of you, because that's just how life with another person works. Seriously, just take the dogs to basic obedience classes and follow through with your class "homework"...the two of you may really enjoy the time spent together learning how to train the dogs and you will have dogs who won't drive you nuts anymore. The time spent on training those dogs now will be SO worth it!

I wish you, your boyfriend, the three pups and your cat lots of luck!

That is a great idea, I didn't think of classes. I'll look into that. Thank you for the great ideas

Old 12-24-2013, 02:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
YOU Had advise on this thread on training! YOUR the on that Said YOU Hated Your life cause of these dogs Its in your Title! YOU also said He didn't want the dogs they were his Exs... These are the reasons we suggested Re-Homing them NOT just for you BUT for the poor cat!

IF you really want to keep them then find a GOOD TRAINER! Since neither you or your BF has a clue what your doing. And WE Cant SEE what you doing over the internet. YOU are Not telling us a thing just Whining!

Did you even stop to think How these dogs Feel with you & your Cat suddenly in there Turf? You Humans Decided to just suddenly move in together Without introductions or you Furkids! Bet you never had the dogs over to your place one at a time to get to know the cat. Bet neither of you considered taking the time to do ANY introductions. All you keep saying is How this is effecting YOU! How BAD these Dogs are! How your trying to Force the cat to get along with them a cat I Betting NEVER been around dogs! AND IF the cats been around dogs & the Dogs around Cats then SAY So! TELL us what YOU want us to know what you have tried! CRIPE!!!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
I'm feeling so bad for all the animals in your home. Sounds like you pretty much hate those poor pups. Small dogs bark. Small dogs need to go out A LOT to potty. Dogs chase cats they don know, or the ones that run. You have to realize your cat has come into THEIR territory! Not its fault, but not the dogs either.

I have two yappers, and my dil stayed here a month with her cat. We were lucky that my house is two stories, the cat stayed upstairs, dogs down. BUT, if it was going to be a long term visit, we would have made sure they got along. We would have worked and worked to integrate them. The dogs are not bad, the owners are, if you're having so much trouble. My two are small so have small bladders, and I have human pee pads I put out when I'm not home. The kind used in convalescent homes, they chewed up the puppy kind.

Why cant you and your fiancé each hold a pet and get them used to each other? (one dog at a time) Get a home trainer to come in and fix this. I have to say when you mentioned the dogs dying, it made me sick. It sounds like you're wishing for it to happen. Maybe rehoming isn't a bad idea, if you truly feel that way. I just know in my heart, if you hate those dogs, you'll never get them to do what you want and have a happy home. I'm sitting here thinking how glad I am that he didn't have kids for you to move in with, and I hate saying that.

My son married a woman with a daughter and a dog. He ended up adopting who is now my grand daughter as much as my blood one. I actually forget she's not, and tell her things that would be, only If she was blood. She laughs and says granny, I wont be your height (for example), I'm not blood. THATS how you should be with those pups. If you love the man, you should have loved them before you moved in. I cant believe you talk about them being rehomed or dying, but have the nerve to say your cat is NEVER leaving. Geesh, selfish much?

I think this is the hardest I've ever been with a poster and I don't like it. But those 3 pups are in THEIR home, with THEIR dad and YOU came into their world. You should be the one to make a huge effort to get along. I love cats, but your cat is not more special or deserving of a good home than those dogs. I worry if the pups need vet care, they wont receive it unless you learn to love them. If you cant do it for them, do it for your man, please...

Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM

^^^ Awesome x 1000. Lol.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:53 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Clapping for Katie's post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs