Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

This is a private party rescue situation through a neighbor lady.
(for some relative of hers - I think)

Joe is a very nice 18 mo old boy, a bit over 50 pounds who has been house trained
(allegedly) but not much more. Until I see Vet records I'm going to assume nothing else.
To that end... I called the Vet that my neighbor recommended to make an appointment.

They also gave me their prices:
Basic Exam ($50) with tests and vaccinations is $167.
(rabies, distemper/parvo, bordatella; fecal, and blood panel tests)

Six month pack of Heart Guard Plus... add $50
Neutering is $195

I haven't paid Vet fees in about 10 years...
How do those prices sound to you folks?

Thanks

(no pictures yet -soon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It sounds a bit on the low side.

Prices vary by area. You could call around and get quotes from a few different vets, but you won't do too much better.

You are in NC, so that heart worm test and meds are important.

One of the local shelters in my area has a low cost neutering clinic and will give a rabies shot and a microchip for cheap if it is done at the same time as the neutering. Their vet is competent, so I've used them and had good results.

You could ask around about spay neuter clinics. However, your dog does need a regular vet that you have an established relationship with. If you don't already have a vet, then taking the new dog in to establish an account and get some records started, is a good idea.

Congrats on the new family member.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
sounds about right for vet prices, you could easily lower that price though by going through a low cost vaccination clinic (typically helds a few times a month at area petstores and feed supplies)
look up the pros and cons to bordatella,
current studies are suggesting best to ONLY give bordatella if your planning on boarding in the next 6 months or if the dog will be going into lots of dog on dog interactive areas (bordatells (aka kennel cough) is not a very efficient vaccine), id also avoid Lepto vaccine unless the dog will be kenneld outside (lepto is spread in mouse uring, typically picked up by the dog drinking from a bowl shared with rodents, standing water like puddles where mice frequent and ponds.

you will need a heartworm test but once the test is done and you've got a script you can typically find heartguard cheaper online

and many places offer low cost neuters...

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Joe is a very nice 18 mo old boy, a bit over 50 pounds who has been house trained
(allegedly) but not much more. Until I see Vet records I'm going to assume nothing else.
To that end... I called the Vet that my neighbor recommended to make an appointment.

Neutering is $195

Thanks

(no pictures yet -soon)
Go to a spay/neuter clinic that does those shots and the neutering for a much reduced price. Save the typical vet visits for when your dog needs more than just vaccinations. Contrary to belief, the spay/neuter vet WILL give your dog the once over; a basic exam, before giving the shots.

You can get all of those shots for well under $50, and the neuter can be around $30-40.

I don't recommend Heart Guard, I recommend more natural ways to repel ticks, but that is personal preference.

Local pet stores, (not necessarily big chain names), will sometimes offer a weekly service by a vet in the store to get shots.

Look up spay/neuter clinics in your area, call them up and ask them what they do. You will find out, quickly, that you are being horrifically overcharged when you visit a typical vet. You do want to take the pup to a vet just to establish a record in case you ever need to see one, but it is completely unnecessary to spend that kind of money getting your dog all set up.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
If price is a concern I'd do my homework. In the area where I live there is free spay/neutering available as well as low cost through two different voucher programs. One is the Humane Society the other a private organization, both use regular vets where you make the appointment and all followups with no additional fees. The Humane Society also has vouchers for low cost vaccinations, I think it's about half price and again you go to a local vet. Having 5 fur friends I always make use of the vouchers for vaccinations =)

When my dog was ill I called the ASPCA as I was having some financial issues and knew I couldn't afford my regular vet. They're opening a low cost clinic but it wasn't ready yet, they referred me to a different vet who has now become our regular vet because he's great and doesn't cost a small fortune.

If you do a little research I'm sure you'll find what you need at reasonable prices. Best of luck to you and your new best friend.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Are you still near the old vet? IF yes contact them! prices might not be much better BUT you know the vet he will know you!

Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Here's a link to a low cost clinic:

Central Spay Neuter and Wellness Clinic Veterinary Services

They don't mention fecal check or blood work but it looks like you could save some on the basic neuter and vaccines.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Neutering is $195

Thanks

(no pictures yet -soon)

Line for line, that's less than we paid for our girl, and she is 53 pounds. She was spayed when we got her, but our pup was spayed at 5 months this past summer and that cost $225. Neutering usually costs LESS than a spay, so I'd say the prices are good. The Heartgard (correct spelling by the way) is also a good price.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Here's a link to a low cost clinic:

Central Spay Neuter and Wellness Clinic Veterinary Services

They don't mention fecal check or blood work but it looks like you could save some on the basic neuter and vaccines.
I agree. I see signs for low-cost spay-neuter clinics and vaccination clinics at Petco and Petsmart all the time. Worth checking out.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:41 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Thanks for the replies and all the info everyone.

Joe:
Attached Thumbnails
Getting a young dog-joe1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs