Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times

Advertisements

This should be covered under your homeowner's insurance. I would contact the woman/man in order to show your concern and ascertain what IF ANY steps they plan to take. It is possible other than reporting it to animal control they won't do anything. A first offense isn't usually dealt with too harshly especially as the bite was very small. Before you contact a lawyer, contact them, before you waste money needlessly. IOW don't jump the gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If the dog has been with you since 2012 why have you waited until someone was bitten to get the dog training?
Quite simply because we were working on the issues ourselves. In the house he is quite polite. My husband and I don't have any family or friends where we live now and we don't get house guests, so we've only worked on his barking when out on walks. He had been doing better. But he got loose this time.

runswithscissors - my husband hated that leash too and has now banned me from using it.

Ellwood - we no longer have a home so no homeowners insurance. I would have to check our rental insurance but I'm not sure this is covered. We'll check on the guy in a week or so and in a week after that we will take Joose in for his vet check. I'm pretty sure we have to provide a copy of the vet stuff to animal control so either the guy will get a copy then or we can provide him one. Based on what the animal control officer told us, that would essentially be the end of it. We have offered to pay for the guys' medical bills but at first he said he wasn't going to go, then he said he was, now I'm not sure. Either way, the most that could happen according to PA law is that we would have to pay his medical expenses, which we've already offered to do and we've done what's required by animal control where the dog is concerned (or are doing it when the quarantine is over).

At this point, I think we've done all we can. We know there are things we want do to going forward - and training tops that list.

And then we want to get the he** out of PA! lol (but that's a whole other OT story)

Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I would *not* contact the insurance company if you can afford to pay for it. You may find yourself without a policy after they pay the claim, or with a higher premium to cover the dog.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I would *not* contact the insurance company if you can afford to pay for it. You may find yourself without a policy after they pay the claim, or with a higher premium to cover the dog.

That's my concern as well.

Years ago I had a dog that was quite aggressive (he has since passed). But to be safe, I put "Beware of Dog" signs on my front window and the back fence. My homeowners insurance nearly dropped me after they came by for a random check. They did tell me to take the signs down and all would be well, but it wasn't a pleasant surprise.

We can't really afford to pay the medical bills, but we'll have to find a way to do it on our own.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Yes I always thought "beware of dog" was a standard, neutral heads up that there's a dog around, but I guess "Dog on premises" is the way to go.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

315 posts, read 563,912 times
Just wanted to say I am glad to hear you aren't taking this with a grain of salt, just because he is a little dog. Far too many small dog owners think bites are "cute" and funny (not all) because these dogs can hardly break the skin but really it isn't funny at all, especially when a situation like this occurs.
Glad nothing bad came out of this, just be careful!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
yes "dog on premises" or "dog in yard" are better choices as beware signs indicate through assumption that the dog is aggressive and you know such by placing such signs...
least that's what my ins agent told me.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,778 times
I can't believe that people are "surprised" a small dog can break skin. I've had CATS break skin on me with bites.

First thing you have to do is figure out what caused the dog to attack in the first place.

Then?

Train your dog, ditch the retractable leashes, pay the man's bills.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
90% of all dogs I've witnessed getting loose from the owners are on retractables. Zillions are small dogs. That's how bad retractables are. I saw one lady drag to the ground after her YORKIES (LOL) because they bolted and she was trying not to drop the leashes. Then she tripped and dropped them and faceplanted on the concrete. You don't have control on a retractable AND yes, you drop the handle part, too. Get the leash I mentioned and you'll see a world of difference.

People love retractables because they don't have to get their feet wet or walk in yukky grass. So they let the dog OUT FAR and that reinforces in the dog's mind they are free and not in the control of the pack leader. They also let the dog WALK FAR OUT ahead of the human going anywhere they want, reinforcing the same thing. They don't feel the human energy down your arm on a retractable with that thin cord like they feel from you with a proper leash. WORSE YET, a retractable keeps TENSION on the leash which sends TENSION down to your dog. So he is going to be in a higher targeting/tension mode than a normal LOOSE LEASH. ALWAYS walk with a loose leash. When your leash is tense you're setting the dog up for failure he thinks YOU are tense.
Bingo!! I have a retractable leash for my dog (47lb mutt), but only for our potty walks around the apartment complex - and only because he likes to go #2 in the giant ivy patches, where I don't feel comfortable stepping myself. Other than that, we always use a flat 4-foot leash sometimes paired with the harness. One time I was walking him with the retractable, when he spotted a skunk (or raccoon? not sure) across the parking lot... he bolted, I forgot it was the retractable so tried to grab the actual leash part, and ended up with a NASTY rope burn on my hand. Luckily I didn't amputate a finger, which they do warn about on the leash itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs