U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 AM

376 posts, read 1,118,358 times

Advertisements

I have a long-haired dog (part llhasa, part shih tzu). Does anyone cut their dogs hair themselves? These groomer bills are killing me! I spend more on his hair than I do on my own. He's a very good natured dog and will let you handle him any old way.

Is it hard to do? Could I hurt him? I have a very nice dog grooming kit I was given about 2 years ago, but haven't worked up the nerve to use it yet.

He has a pretty squishy face, but tolerates my trimming around his eyes and beard well, I use blunt ended scissors. I trim his toenails.

Any advice? comments? Can you share your "first time" experience?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 PM

133 posts, read 482,485 times
We've trimmed our cats and dog. The cats got used to it. We tried with the dog (puppy) for the first time and had mixed results- not as easy to hold a dog down as it is a cat.

Good trimmers are a bit pricey, but worth it. We went to a Petco and asked the groomers what they recommend. I think they were about $100.

We never had a problem.

Expert village has good dog grooming (and other videos) you can view for free online. Google "expert village dog grooming".

Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 8,211,089 times
I think you'd need someone to show you how to professionally trim the hair inside the ears, I c/b wrong but I believe it's stripped and it does need to be done periodically, otherwise wax buildup, ear infections etc. Check some local nite highschools, sometimes they or the local vo-tech high schools offer nominally priced dog grooming courses at nite or on Saturdays.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,531,107 times
I cut my aussies ears when he starts to look like a ewok, otherwise no. =) I never do a good job, but he looks less ewok-like

Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM

692 posts, read 2,839,674 times
I kept Teddie in shape for a few months before I found the right groomer who doesn't charge much. I wouldn't be able to take him if I were much more.

I don't think I could make him look like a professional did it, but I can keep him from looking insane.

Now I did do a shave job on a rescue dog I work with, but it didn't turn out great... she looked like a naked, wing eared, piggy.

How much is your groomer charging?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:50 PM
miu

13,062 posts, read 22,513,450 times
I've always trimmed my dogs. I use a pair of long bladed barber scissors. Sometimes I sit in my backyard to do it, now I do it inside while I watch tv. The dogs like the attention. I also clip their nails.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 PM

389 posts, read 2,553,620 times
I do cut my dogs hair myself, but I shave them down, I am not brave enough to think I could scissor cut them and not end up at a groomer anyways I do trim around their feet and stuff with scissors, but everything else I use a trimmers. Scissor cutting is not easy and I am in aw of our groomer at work for the job she does on these squirmy guys and girls

Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 PM

50,362 posts, read 47,778,369 times
i could not do diddle with clippers. we had to go to scissors and he acted like we were torturing him. rough stuff.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM

376 posts, read 1,118,358 times
Loved the responses! Especially TEDDYRUXPINS --- that's exactly what I'm afraid I will do -- but I think he'll love me anyways

Little fella needs a cut every 5-6 weeks -- his fur grows really fast and he does better with a really short cut, so it averages about $50 each visit. My groomer is awesome, I'm just looking to maintain, maybe every 2-3 months instead.

Lots of good advice -- maybe I'll practice with that clipper set on a couple of long-haired stuffed animals first!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 AM

13,569 posts, read 23,130,984 times
I use to trim my Scottish terrier. I would recommend using the longest attachment at first that way if you screw up it isn't as bad.

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs