Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

if your dogs entered the small dogs property then YOU are at fault, your leash dogs were not under full control and entered private property...

if however it happened on the sidewalk its 50/50 you for not controlling your dog, and them for not keeping their dog confined to their yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
if your dogs entered the small dogs property then YOU are at fault, your leash dogs were not under full control and entered private property...

if however it happened on the sidewalk its 50/50 you for not controlling your dog, and them for not keeping their dog confined to their yard.
With all due respect...

I believe that you have it all under control prior to this post. What is expressed in this response is NOT the "law" in any jurisdiction that I am familiar with, as an attorney who deals with these issues on a daily basis.

I have no idea where foxywench has gotten her "facts" regarding liability. But, no, the liability is not necessarily 50/50 in this case.

There are quite a few issues going on in this case, and I would suggest consulting with an attorney in your area about this.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 PM

nowhere did I say it was the law....

if my dog gets out of my control runs onto someones property and attacks their pet, child ect, then its MY fault..

if someones dog comes running out of a persons yard and attacks me that's the dog owners fault for not properly controlling their dog...

if their dog got out AND my dog bit it, then were both at fault...

I didn't say it was law, as far as I could tell in terms of the post the op was dealing with this WITHOUT getting law involved and was just asking OPINIONS on the right thing to do...

however where the bite took place is in question...the op mentions the little dogs yard and the edge of the lawn...that all makes a huge difference in the situation...

Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 AM

13 posts, read 13,854 times
Just to answer a previous question; we were walking on the sidewalk and the min-pin charged at us (while on his leash) which caused a reaction from my dogs. My dogs chased the min-pin back into his yard and that's where the bite took place.

Thank goodness there was no need for attorneys or animal control or even the police. Both the owner of the min-pin and I were able to address this situation very calm and respectful. My husband and I did pay for the veterinary bill however, the min-pin owner only accepted half. The owner took half of the responsibility because he felt that he could have prevented this incident just as much as I could have. You see, the min-pin owner saw me and my dogs approaching before the incident took place. My view was blocked and did not see the min-pin in the yard until we came around a parked truck which by then was too late.

As I stated before in response to earlier guidance; I do recognize that I did not have 'control' of my dogs even though they were leashed. I wasn't able to restrain them properly and quickly, something that I will definetly focus on moving forward.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I think that you (OP) and the owner of the min pin handled this situation with maturity and thoughtfulness. If only all people could behave in this manner. I'm glad things ended in a positive way.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 AM

I agree, and that's what I meant by 50/50...
it doesn't realy matter what happened in the eyes of the law unless one of you planned to take it that far...
in terms of PERSONAL responsibility, and im realy glad you got it figured out without it having to go further!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyobi View Post
Moving forward, I do recognize that I was unable to restrain both my dogs, even as well trained as I think they are. I'm 5'8" 129lbs....my two dogs are very powerful when they're protecting me. I agree that "defensive" or "preventive" walking should be practiced, which I am usually great at, especially redirecting. This incident got away from me. Lesson learned.

Thank you so much again for your feedback!! I appreciate it!!
I would invest in a few prong collars since you are so small. They will not hurt your dog, but will allow you to control them better due to your size difference.

Big-Dog-Little-Dog fights usually turn out very, very bad in a blink of an eye, before the owner can even react. Glad the little Min Pin will be ok.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Yes you're right and I'm glad you realize it. As a dog walker, I GUARANTEE YOU that you cannot "control" those two powerful breeds.

You cannot muscle a powerful dog and if they are not balanced and calm and trained then you have to get them that way. The "control" is psychological.

All of this "protecting me" and "naturally he reacted" stuff is invalid. It's an owner's way of rationalizing their relationship with their dogs.

There is NEVER any excuse for a bite especially with the size difference here. I know you feel badly and thank goodness the little dog is ok. I would suggest you muzzle both dogs if you're going to continue to walk them especially together, while you're addressing the training issues.

Also, if you had your dogs NEXT TO YOU you would have seen the dog. NEVER LET THEM WALK AHEAD of you!

That being said I HATE walking dogs in neighborhoods. Everybody has a barking, loose, dog on a rope, or some situation that makes it almost impossible to be safe. I'm used to working in high rises before where most of the dogs have to be a little well behaved and you have ways to avoid others.

If you get the prong collars get the XX HEAVY WEIGHT ones 4mm not the light weight wimpy ones.

Herm Sprenger is the best one:

https://www.rayallen.com/product/chr.../herm-sprenger

Make sure you're using a HEAVY leather leash. I suggest this one (3/4 by 6 ft) or any of the products from Ray Allen :

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/dog/deer_ridge.htm

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-05-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyobi View Post
Naturally, I apologized profusely for his injured dog. Without a doubt and to always do the right thing, as we would like in return, we are going to pay for the bill.
You're doing the right thing...and sounds like you made a friend to boot.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM

13 posts, read 13,854 times
You're right, it is psychological. We tend to 'humanize' our dogs.

Also, I did have the dogs next to me, I'm not sure why everyone keeps doubting that. As I said, when we walked around the parked truck, that's when the min-pin "struck". I don't allow my dogs to walk ahead of me. I usually walk my dogs during "off-peak" because I agree the neighborhood is unpredictable.

I have purchased a muzzle. I'm very nervous to walk both dogs together, so for now, it's one at a time. I will definetly look into the items listed below such as the prong collar and leash.

Changing the topic a bit; my dogs need ALOT of exercise and it's hard to keep up....Does anyone own a pair of Landrollers? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You cannot muscle a powerful dog and if they are not balanced and calm and trained then you have to get them that way. The "control" is psychological.

All of this "protecting me" and "naturally he reacted" stuff is invalid. It's an owner's way of rationalizing their relationship with their dogs.

Also, if you had your dogs NEXT TO YOU you would have seen the dog. NEVER LET THEM WALK AHEAD of you!

That being said I HATE walking dogs in neighborhoods. Everybody has a barking, loose, dog on a rope, or some situation that makes it almost impossible to be safe. I'm used to working in high rises before where most of the dogs have to be a little well behaved and you have ways to avoid others.

If you get the prong collars get the XX HEAVY WEIGHT ones 4mm not the light weight wimpy ones.

Herm Sprenger is the best one:

https://www.rayallen.com/product/chr.../herm-sprenger

Make sure you're using a HEAVY leather leash. I suggest this one (3/4 by 6 ft) or any of the products from Ray Allen :

Dog Collars & Dog Leashes - Weaver Deer Ridge Dog Collars and Leashes* @ Kyhorse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs