Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM

148 posts, read 531,502 times

Advertisements

One of many links I sent to my neighbor. Of course there has been no response or follow up! Lazy Arse!!

How To Stop Your Border Collie Nipping Ankles and at Children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
yeah unforutnatly its not ideal to have to be the responsible one, but for me im very much a "never rely on someone else" kind of person so the first thing I did when I moved in was put up a fence...not realy to keep MY dogs in (neither would have wandered very far) but to keep other peoples dogs OUT (particularly my neighbors pit who was highly dog aggressive, and out on a chain (and frequently getting off) my county doesn't have any form of animal control either and the sherrifs response is if its a threat and on your property shoot it...

so I personally prefer to be pro-active and assume everyone around me are not going to be the responsible ones.
a little security camera in a back window that sees the area the dog frequenst would be great at recording evidence.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
yeah unforutnatly its not ideal to have to be the responsible one, but for me im very much a "never rely on someone else" kind of person so the first thing I did when I moved in was put up a fence...n
Which type of fence did you install? Border Collies are good jumpers so may need to get a high one.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM

ive generally found a dog needs pretty strong motivation to bother climbing or jumping a fence when theres much easier accessed entertainment elsewhere, the 48" welded wire is usually enough to keep most things in or out, it kept my 100lb bulldog mix in, keeps my 65lb Doberman in (she could EASILY jump right over it with no effort) even my tree climbing 11lb cresti doesn't bother trying to get over it (and i mean it...she climbs trees, i caught her 15ft straight up on morning in my pecan after a squirrel had made a fatal mistake of assuming she wasn't part cat LOL!)

for the most part a dog needs real motivation to challenge any fence over 3ft...

Kinda one of those, theres chocolate cake inside alocked cabinate (your dogs ina fenced yard) and chocolate cake on a table on the other side of the parking lot (other dogs, kids, squirrels activity, smells out in the open) generally youll walk across th eparking lot for the free cake than bother with the one behind "locked" doors.
dogs are much the same...why expend the extra energy when theres other interesting stuff in an easier to get to place.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
for the most part a dog needs real motivation to challenge any fence over 3ft...
I once saw a German Shepard hurdle over a 3 foot fence, mind you the intruder happened to be a coyote who could easily do the same. I already have 5 foot fences installed for my dog pen to rectify any very hungry coyotes!!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I own a border collie who is protective and nips...I would never ever let him roam free.

I suggest you put up a privacy fence.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I suggest you put up a privacy fence.
Me or the owner? I'm not responsible financially for their dogs's actions.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:42 PM

and that's what I mean by "motivation"

Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Me or the owner? I'm not responsible financially for their dogs's actions.

Well you can't force them to put one up so, if you want to be able to let your little ones out without having to worry, it would be beneficial for you to put one up. Of course, it is something your neighbor should do in their own yard to keep that collie in.

It's a shame they don't care. It could end up going very poorly for that dog

Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 PM

10 posts, read 15,931 times
I have to border collies in an apartment. It was crazy how they herd or even bully other dogs when I walked them outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs