Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times

Advertisements

We are considering getting a small dog as it has been several years since we had a dog. It will be inside so looking for less shedding and not overly energetic. We also have two cats so they need to reasonably get along lol. My wife likes cuddly, I like quiet lol. Would love to hear your suggestions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
Any time a potential owner has strong preferences about their ideal dog (i.e. amount of shedding, quiet, calm, does well with cats) it is best to adopt a dog that has already reached an age when those qualities are known. If a dog reaches the age of 1 or 2 for example, and has never been a barker, has always shown a more lazy / laid back personality, and has a history of living peacefully with cats it would be highly unlikely that you'd adopt that dog and he'd suddenly turn into a loud, hyper, cat chaser.

So adopt a dog that is past the puppy and adolescent stages from someone who knows the dog well because they've lived with the dog. Foster rescues can be a great option.

Other than coat type / shedding, your other 'must haves' can vary within a breed, so don't base this decision on which breed you think is the most cuddly or supposedly has a reputation for barking less. Choose an individual dog, not a breed.

http://www.petfinder.com/

Old 01-11-2014, 01:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
I agree adoption is a great idea....but I also understand people like a starting point...

small dog arnt realy known for being "quiet" but for the most part that's a TRAINING issue...
also small to one person is not small to another, I grew up around chihuahaus and you don't get smaller than them...yet to someone else small might be a cocker spaniel...so whats your maximum wiehgt range?
also most dogs that don't shed a lot require more grooming...what kind of grooming time are you willing to put in...
poodles for example are very low shedding, but require high coat maintence...

personally my suggestion would be a POWDERPUFF Chinese crested...
1 because im very partial to cresties (I own 2)
but heres why...
the powderpuff is the FUZZY sibling of the hairless, their coat is soft and can run the gamut from more wooly to more silky...generaly lower maintence, they can be clipped into pretty much any length of style you like every 2 mnths, or left natural and combed 3-4 times a week...the face can be clean shaven or left fuzzy (they look like terriers with a fuzzy face lol)
they are VERY people orientated with their people (though can be standoffish with strangers)
and while like all small breeds they make very good alarm dogs, they are typically easily taught a "quiet" command.

unlike the hairless the puffs don't have the skin or teeth issues that can occur with the breed.
most do just fine with other pets (though watch them VERY carefully around rodents)
they love to run and play and will hike for miles if you ask them too...BUT they are also quite content to sit on your lap all day if your in the mood for some quiet time.

other breds you might like would be the maltese, havanese or possibly the bichon, the miniature pincher might be a thought too.
depending on how small is small, a cavalier king Charles, or toy spaniel could be a GREAT match too (watch for health issues in the Cavs)
a well trained Chihuahua (particularly a long hair) would be another good option, they get a bad rap but most of the issues with Chihuahuas come form lazy owners NOT the breed itself.
lowchen, Lhasa or Tibetan Spaniel might be good to look into too!

id avoid the terriers (yorkie, rat, to fox and Manchester terriers) they tend to be even more barky and a little more on the energetic side.
id avoid poodles, simply because of the coat maintenece

if you head into the next weight category you cant beat a GOOD cocker spaniel...

now again that's just a general "hey check out these breeds" you can find any of them (or mixes of) in shelters across the nation too...
some require more coat maintence than others...but it might be a good starting point.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:27 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Any time a potential owner has strong preferences about their ideal dog (i.e. amount of shedding, quiet, calm, does well with cats) it is best to adopt a dog that has already reached an age when those qualities are known. If a dog reaches the age of 1 or 2 for example, and has never been a barker, has always shown a more lazy / laid back personality, and has a history of living peacefully with cats it would be highly unlikely that you'd adopt that dog and he'd suddenly turn into a loud, hyper, cat chaser.

So adopt a dog that is past the puppy and adolescent stages from someone who knows the dog well because they've lived with the dog. Foster rescues can be a great option.

Other than coat type / shedding, your other 'must haves' can vary within a breed, so don't base this decision on which breed you think is the most cuddly or supposedly has a reputation for barking less. Choose an individual dog, not a breed.

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder
this is a good point. puppies almost never shed at all so its hard to tell what they will be like when they get older. oftentimes skin conditions and things which makes shedding and dander worse also dont appear until later.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:28 PM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
........ It will be inside so looking for less shedding and not overly energetic. We also have two cats so they need to reasonably get along lol. My wife likes cuddly, I like quiet ........
Short faced small oriental breeds are quiet, low energy, will cuddle, and are not demanding or energetic: Shih Tzu, Llasa Apso, Japanese Chin, Tibetan Spaniel, Pekenese.

All are long coated, except for the Japanese Chin and Tibetan Spaniel, but it is a hard long coat, so is easy to care for if you will invest 3 minutes a day to comb them out. Or the coat can be cut down.

The combing is easily done during the evening cuddle time while the dog sits in your lap to watch TV.

Many of the small breeds are very high energy, so won't give you the quiet or the "not overly energetic"

Oh wait. A pug is short haired, small-ish, quiet, lower energy, and likes to cuddle.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:07 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Pug. I wish I had one.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,769 times
We adopted a puppy from a rescue that they guessed was 11 weeks old. Min Schnauzer mix. As he got older (a year now) he has longer hair not sure what he is a mix of, does not have a schnauzer coat. He is lovable and does not require too much energy. We rescued him from a local rescue that deals with mainly small breed dogs of all ages. We are renting so we had to have a small dog under 25 pounds. Personally I would rather have a bigger dog. This dog is about 12 pounds now and thinks he is a cat. He only barks because we have deer and birds in the back yard. He does have a high pitched bark when someone comes to the door which is annoying. Other than that he is a pretty good dog. We have a 4 yr old and really could have been better suited with a bigger dog for rough and tumble play. There are local rescues out there and if you figure out a breed you want there are usually breed specific rescues.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
We adopted a puppy from a rescue that they guessed was 11 weeks old. Min Schnauzer mix. As he got older (a year now) he has longer hair not sure what he is a mix of, does not have a schnauzer coat. He is lovable and does not require too much energy. We rescued him from a local rescue that deals with mainly small breed dogs of all ages. We are renting so we had to have a small dog under 25 pounds. Personally I would rather have a bigger dog. This dog is about 12 pounds now and thinks he is a cat. He only barks because we have deer and birds in the back yard. He does have a high pitched bark when someone comes to the door which is annoying. Other than that he is a pretty good dog. We have a 4 yr old and really could have been better suited with a bigger dog for rough and tumble play. There are local rescues out there and if you figure out a breed you want there are usually breed specific rescues.
It is funny how our society changed over time. Did you figure out that one of the reasons people bred small dogs was to act as watchdogs and alert their owner or the powerful guard dogs? The dogs that did not bark were destroyed or removed from breeding.
I am a huge fan of larger breeds. But when I think back at the reason those breeds were created - it was mostly for work, protection, hunting and herding. Yet when today's Dobermans or Rottweilers bark (or bite someone who entered their territory), we condemn them...
(I guess if we could talk with Mr. Dobermann and tell him we are expecting his beloved breed not to bark and bite, he would probably be very amused...

Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
It is funny how our society changed over time. Did you figure out that one of the reasons people bred small dogs was to act as watchdogs and alert their owner or the powerful guard dogs? The dogs that did not bark were destroyed or removed from breeding.
I am a huge fan of larger breeds. But when I think back at the reason those breeds were created - it was mostly for work, protection, hunting and herding. Yet when today's Dobermans or Rottweilers bark (or bite someone who entered their territory), we condemn them...
(I guess if we could talk with Mr. Dobermann and tell him we are expecting his beloved breed not to bark and bite, he would probably be very amused...
I do not mind him alerting me, though I can hear the door bell or a knock without him. It is the pitch in which he barks. It can break glass. I had ACD's and they have a high pitched bark at times but this is a screech. Louder and more piercing than any other small dog I have had.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I've had three small dogs; two of them are still with me! I had a little Maltese - sweet little guy - he went everywhere with me. Not a huge barker and not a huge exercise requirement but he did like to go for long walks and to play. He stuck to me like flypaper. IF it weren't for his penchant to chase big dogs on a walk; he could have walked off lead all the time. RIP Casper.

I have a sweet little yorkie girl, standard size, about 7 lbs. She has just the most gentle personality. She's not big on exercise like long walks - but she does love to play with her toys. She loves to be brushed and petted; sticks to me like glue. She's forced to go on walks (because my Westie loves them) but a lot of times she'll have to be carried at least part of the way. She loves every person and would approach each and every human we meet if I let her. She is afraid of big dogs and will veer waay out of her way to avoid one on a walk. I would highly recommend a yorkie like her. (I've known some aggressive yorkies too though; she is just not one of them). She loves my Westie too.

Lastly, I have a Westie who is the largest 'small' dog of the three. He weighs about 17 lbs and he is pure muscle. He's very independent and spends all day outside in our fenced yard, and could care less if we are with him or not! He's a sweet guy and loves people. He has HUGE exercise requirements; loving to walk 3-4 miles a day. Winter is hard on him and a fenced yard and obedience training are a must. He doesn't stick to me like the yorkie; but he loves to lay on the couch with me at the end of an evening. He's a good dog but requires a firm hand and a lot of exercise.

Another dog I really like but have never had is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They had a breed rescue in my hometown, but never had a youngish female (which I needed to be compatable with Ringo). Anyway, my friend adopted two and they were so sweet and loving and gentle. I loved the Calico coat on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs