U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,500,325 times

Advertisements

don't care which side he walks on. We switch it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,462,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... laughing because I'd never thought about his "dominant pee-leg" before now.
To be honest, I thought of making it a thread but I felt it might cause a stir. I decided to embed the question.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM

1,311 posts, read 5,997,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
I prefer Sadie to be on the right of me and I'm on the left of her. She also seems to prefer this. I dont know why, but it just feels more comfortable and like we understand each other with more control as well. Unfortunately, being a lady, she pees by daintly squatting, so I cant wait to get another boy dog b/c I love the leg up thing I think its cute

See, now, I'm the opposite! I think our Sadie Marie is so cute when she squats. HEHEHEHe She has to look back at you when she squats too, like saying" hey, how am I doing? Are you watching me? " She literally will squat on command too. Instead of "go pee" , it's "squate your butt. Go squat" ANd she'll squat, then look at you for approval. It's hilarious and i love it.

With Doogie Bowzer, it's has to be "pody, pody, pody" Yes, you must say it three times. ANd he actually does this old man squat. He doesn't really lift of leg unless we go for a walk.

Quote:
LOL... laughing because I'd never thought about his "dominant pee-leg" before now.

I prefer Rudy to walk on my right side, mostly because I hold the leash with my right hand (and I keep a tight slack)...
This totally made me laugh, a tight slack. isn't that an oxymoron? hehe JK
I'm like you, I like having a tight leash too, but loose leash walking is the best. I usually teach left side walkers in general.

My question is how do you walk two dogs at the same time? It's super hard!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,202,094 times
I walked mine on the left. There is a reason for me to do so. First of all, when i want my dogs to heal, i have a good grip on the leash close to their head with my left hand, where all the power on the rest of the leash comes from my right hand. Unless you're a lefty, it would be opposite. I hope this make sense.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,938,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
This totally made me laugh, a tight slack. isn't that an oxymoron? hehe JK
I'm like you, I like having a tight leash too, but loose leash walking is the best. I usually teach left side walkers in general.
LOL! As a former English major, I should have realized that was an oxymoron. I learned a LOT of my dog-rearing from the "Dog Whisperer," and he always uses a short (but relaxed) leash... works best for my dog, since he takes a loose leash as permission to pull me & weave like a cocker spaniel. It's also good for us city-dwellers, since there are people and hazards on every street. Plus, for some reason, many of my neighbors are afraid of dogs - so they definitely appreciate when I keep him close to my side.

Quote:
My question is how do you walk two dogs at the same time? It's super hard!!
Yes, it is!! Unless they're very good at heeling and staying on one side, it can be quite a challenge. I've been a pet-sitter for many years, and that has caused some problems for me... especially with these two (large) Labs I watched, who were terrible on a leash! I literally developed callouses from walking them, after only 10 days of sitting.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,565,805 times
My pup's got no dominant pee leg yet... he's still squatting. I'll be sure to take note at the first sign of leg-cocking.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 14,441,577 times
I prefer to walk along the sidewalk, closest to the street. I like to have her along the sidewalk where it attaches to the front yards along the way.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:28 PM

733 posts, read 4,187,325 times
Always heel on the left. I'm right handed and carry my shotgun on the right. Can't have the dog over there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs