Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times

Advertisements

I was just curious:

Which side do you prefer your dog to walk in relation to you? I don't have a preference, it just depends upon what I want him to avoid.

A follow up to that is: What rear leg does he or she raise to mark or pee pee? Mine is a right leg lifter. It becomes an entangling issue when he is on my left and he goes to a pole and does a 180 around the pole (pole dance).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,581 times
I prefer Sadie to be on the right of me and I'm on the left of her. She also seems to prefer this. I dont know why, but it just feels more comfortable and like we understand each other with more control as well. Unfortunately, being a lady, she pees by daintly squatting, so I cant wait to get another boy dog b/c I love the leg up thing I think its cute

Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
I so I cant wait to get another boy dog b/c I love the leg up thing I think its cute
The funniest thing is watching my dachshund lift his little leg! I've never really noticed if he is right-legged or left-legged, but since his breeder shows him, he stays on my left for all walks.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
I prefer my dog to walk on the side away from traffic.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
I was raised that dogs walk to my left and horses to my right.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
LOL... laughing because I'd never thought about his "dominant pee-leg" before now.

I prefer Rudy to walk on my right side, mostly because I hold the leash with my right hand (and I keep a tight slack)... sometimes if we're walking on a busy street, though, I'll put him wherever is furthest from the road. As for peeing, he's definitely a right-legger! Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen him lift the left one. He'll circle around a bush to face the correct way, just to use that right leg!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 AM

133 posts, read 750,537 times
Left side. No reason.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,112 times
I never thought of my dogs having a "dominant peeing-leg" either. I agree with Gizmo 100%.

Quote:
He'll circle around a bush to face the correct way, just to use that right leg!
My Pomeranian does the same thing, but he is a left-legger. He will sniff and circle the tree, turn from one side to the other, and then turn with his left side of the body to the tree. It is so funny to watch him do this. He is so small and he tries to lift his little leg up really high and the whole backside of his body is turned over. Once, I thought he was laying flat on his back peeing with his legs wide open!(just kidding) One time he tried to be "cool" and pee with his back legs balancing on a small hill in the grass, with his leg all the way up in the air, lost his balance and fell over! When he sniffs a spot, his mouth starts trembling really fast and sometimes he drools. Why does he do this?

My "baby" Pom could care less with his neutered self, he just pees on trees because he watches his brother do it. Sometimes he will go up to a tree and lift his leg up for one second and put it right back down and run from the tree. These two little guys are characters, I'm always laughing at them when walking. People probably think I'm crazy when driving past me.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,428 times
I've shown obedience in AKC matches/shows for a while now... the "correct" side is for the dog to be on the left. But if you're not into showing, I think whichever is most comfortable for you and your dog.

Last edited by mdtoaz; 11-29-2007 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 11-29-2007, 01:30 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
I have two dogs that I walk together. I prefer them both to be on the inside (my rightside) so they are not out walking in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs