Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,174,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, I own a fairly uncommon breed of dog and I love to learn about other seldom-seen breeds. What unusual breed do you (or a friend or family member) own that you can tell me about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,329,213 times
Some of the more unusual breeds that I've had the pleasure of working with lately have been:

1) The Leonberger. Becoming more popular but still not a breed you see everyday. I've worked with three, two of which were a brother-sister pair. When they are fully mature, the males develop a mane reminiscent of a male lion! https://www.google.com/leonberger

2) The Bourbonnais Pointer / Braque du Bourbonnais. I am a sucker for a speckled dog. The one I worked with was very sweet, high energy, and extraordinarily dog-friendly. His owner takes him bird hunting. https://www.google.com/bourbonnais+pointer

3) The Barbet. Only 70 in the USA. The cutie I got to train was the perfect example of his breed - a true water dog. https://www.google.com/barbet

4) The Plott. I remember a few years ago when this breed was accepted into the AKC registry. Apparently many coat colors are acceptable. The one I worked with had a brindle coat that reminded me of a tiger. https://www.akc.org/breeds/plott/index.cfm

5) The Coton de Tulear. I got to work with a whole family of them, mom, dad, and pups. They were quite vocal, affectionate, and their coats felt amazing! https://www.google.com/coton+de+tulear

Have also trained a Great Pyranees and a Rhodesian Ridgeback recently but not sure if people consider those breeds rare. I sure don't see them all the time.

You know what breed I think is stunningly beautiful that I have never had an opportunity to work with? The English Setter. I have only ever met them at dog shows.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,011,847 times
Sophie is an English Shepherd, kind of like a big border collie with an off switch.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 PM

36,962 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Define "uncommon".

We've had three Fila Brasileiros and now have a Presa Canario.

Fila Brasileiro Information and Pictures, Fila

Presa ears are usually cropped. Our girl's are not. Here are pics of some with uncropped ears:

To crop or not to crop???? in New General Forum

Old 01-26-2014, 12:27 AM

For me, an "uncommon" breed a breed that few people seem to have heard of when you mention it. Another indicator, of course, is if breeders or other knowledgable people say that a breed is uncommon or rare. I've heard of your dogs, and they're right up my alley as I have a cane corso myself! She has uncropped ears as well. But many people (as I'm sure you're aware) haven't even heard of Filas and Presas.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 AM

Thanks for sharing, k9coach! I've heard of some of those breeds, but definitely not all of them. It must be interesting to be able to interact with a variety of dogs. I can imagine that it is a lot of work, but also rewarding. And I'm a sucker for speckled dogs, too! It's funny, I was just talking about English setters to someone earlier this week. They are very pretty.

And Dogmama, I've never heard of English shepherds. I'll google them.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 AM

36,962 posts, read 40,892,726 times
I really do not care for the way they crop the ears on the Presa. They amputate so much!

I love Happy's ears. They are soft and silky and so expressive. She has put herself to bed and is not interested in a photo shoot right now.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:09 AM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
I own a Silken Windhound. They are a longer haired med sized sight hound. Not yet AKC but they are in the process of becoming AKC.All Silkens born have DNA samples sent to UC Davis so they are the first dog breed to have their genome mapped. They are very elegant,gentle, quiet, intelligent,fast dogs but like other sight hounds they are couch potatoes! I have met only a few people that know what he is and that is either because they know someone with one or they are in the dog show world and have heard of them. When I take him out I always hear " what a beautiful dog is it a Saluki or is it a border collie greyhound mix?" Mine is black and white with markings similar to a border collie so that is why people guess he is a BC X greyhound.

California Silken Windhounds photos

Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 AM

175 posts, read 363,997 times

I have a Kelpie. Quite common in Australia, but not so much here. Best dog ever!

The little dude, not to be outshone, wants me to tell you he is a Wiener-pinscher. A very distinguished german breed bred for excessive barking and territorial aggression. (dachshund/min pin). Not the best dog ever.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 AM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
I have all mutts. No one's dog looks like mine! (ALthough my star mutt is likely the Lab/Sharpei mix- looks like someone screwed a Sharpei head onto a yellow Lab body).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs