Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 16,729 times

Advertisements

I have read many of the old post. I guess I am just looking for a few more success stories. Our cat and dog Lucy were scheduled to fly out next Monday(Feb 3) but our dog(6yr shetland sheep dog) failed her Ehrilchia test on Jan 23. Our dog(Lucy) got a positive 1:100. Luckily my schedule is a little flexible and I was able to delay my flight until March 3. Lucy passed an Ehrlichia snap test in the states this past June, it is not the same test as the one she failed. My wife who is presently in Australia and I are both very distraught right now. We made the difficult decision to send the cat on Feb 3 though are two pets have always been together since pup and kitten. My questions also stem from the fact that I am in the US and info on the success rate of lowering the titer are hard to find and most people have told me that it will take 3-6 months to lower these numbers and that they may never go down. My questions are
1. Has anyone experience similar time frames and had the numbers go down? if not what was your time frame for success or did you never get the acceptable results?
2. Looking at my time frame before I leave when would be the best time to retest my dog?

Thank you so much for any info. Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Best bet is to ask a vet.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,995 times
Hi Matt

We have the same positive result titer of 1:100 for Ehrlichia canis for our 6 YO dog. I wondered what happened since your post in Jan? did how long did it take to get the titer level to an acceptable level? We were due to fly this weekend and only got the result on monday- I don't understand why quarantine allow you to wait so long for this test? they should recommend as precaution 6 months out so you know if there may be an issue and also stress how easily dogs can get this along with information that positive results can take 6-9 months or years to become negative?

Of course we are beside ourselves too, i'm hoping you can help with your experience?

Old 12-03-2014, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,995 times
Hi Matt

We have the same positive result titer of 1:100 for Ehrlichia canis for our 6 YO dog. I wondered what happened since your post in Jan? did how long did it take to get the titer level to an acceptable level? We were due to fly this weekend and only got the result on monday- I don't understand why quarantine allow you to wait so long for this test? they should recommend as precaution 6 months out so you know if there may be an issue and also stress how easily dogs can get this along with information that positive results can take 6-9 months or years to become negative?

Of course we are beside ourselves too, i'm hoping you can help with your experience?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 11,991 times
Know exactly what you have felt coming across this site and hearing your stories. We are in a similar state. We are going to appeal for a PCR blood test which will give the presence of the bacteria in the system in real time. This E Canis test is archaic - it's like someone contacting measles or chicken pox - it stays in the system for years. So we are crossing fingers there is a substitute test our little 3 year old furbaby can take. Will keep you posted - we need to get it out there!!!!!!
Go well - we feel a glimmer of hope.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:20 AM

4 posts, read 11,991 times
Do you believe in miracles - well we do....the authorities won't budge and our only option is antibiotic for a trial of three months before retesting again. ...Thanks you for your thoughts and prayers too

Old 01-13-2017, 01:34 AM

4 posts, read 11,013 times
Default Any news on these dogs?

Hi,

I know this is a very old thread but I'm wondering if there was ever any news on the e.canis tests?

One of my dogs just tested positive on a snap test and i'm 5 months out from wanting to make the move to Australia so looking for any information or stories.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 AM

4 posts, read 11,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimnAuds View Post
Do you believe in miracles - well we do....the authorities won't budge and our only option is antibiotic for a trial of three months before retesting again. ...Thanks you for your thoughts and prayers too
Hi Tim,

How did things go for you with the antibiotics and repeat tests?

My little dog tested positive on a snap test today, I ordered it as a precaution as we want to start our journey in 5 months time.

Did you have any luck yet?

Kind regards,

Alison

Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 18,767 times
Default Moving to Australia and dog failed Ehrlichia canis test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslady View Post
Hi Tim,

How did things go for you with the antibiotics and repeat tests?

My little dog tested positive on a snap test today, I ordered it as a precaution as we want to start our journey in 5 months time.

Did you have any luck yet?

Kind regards,

Alison
Hi Alison

I read that you failed the snap test and am wondering how you are going now (April 2017).
We did the snap test 6 months prior to leaving country 1, but country 2 carried out the required PCR test and 1 of our 2 dogs failed. We are now stranded and I am researching and reaching out to all I can to any and all information. I would so appreciate knowing your story.

Jillian

Old 04-22-2017, 08:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
yes please post information, our dog has had it for all 7 of his years, he is asymptomatic, and we were told by the vet it wasnt transmissable....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs