U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 PM

421 posts, read 683,632 times

Advertisements

The dog has just done its business while out on a walk. Then watches its guardian pick it up. The dog is probably thinking what the heck? leave it alone!! I don't know that much about dogs, but I wonder what's going through their minds at that point.

I also wonder what dog lovers think about it. I see people walking dogs with leash in one hand and poop bag in the other. Do you mind picking up your dog's feces? Does it get tolerable after a few times?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,603,458 times
A) In many places it's the law - removing your dog's poo in a public place or from the private property of others is a necessity or else a stiff fine

B) It's courteous to others even if it's not a law where you live. Who the heck wants to see poo on their lawn, sidewalk, play ground, beach, walking trail, etc.

It's not a big deal. No one " likes" doing it. It's just part of owning a dog, like cleaning up the occasional vomit on the floor or cleaning a wound. If you have a yard, wouldn't you also have to clean up the poop ? Do you just let it accumulate?

Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 AM

13,893 posts, read 11,745,918 times
I don't mind picking up after my dog. I don't always want to take her out if it's freezing cold, rainy, or any bad weather, but once we're out, I might as well finish the job.

I doubt she thinks about it. She does the hind leg kicking thing like she wants to cover it with grass or dirt, but I snatch it up before she gets much of a chance to wonder where it went.

I would much rather pick it up than step in it later.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,511,499 times
I think my dogs have their attention directed elsewhere after they go poo. They are tugging at the leash to get on with the walk to go elsewhere.

As for picking it up, I use a plastic grocery bag inverted. And stand upwind!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 AM

12,690 posts, read 32,478,052 times
Well I finally Got my Human Trained LOL

Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 AM

19,717 posts, read 12,809,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
The dog has just done its business while out on a walk. Then watches its guardian pick it up. The dog is probably thinking what the heck? leave it alone!! I don't know that much about dogs, but I wonder what's going through their minds at that point.

I also wonder what dog lovers think about it. I see people walking dogs with leash in one hand and poop bag in the other. Do you mind picking up your dog's feces? Does it get tolerable after a few times?

I don't think about it. I just do it. It's not like we pick it up with our bare hands.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 13,646,298 times
They may think it's odd at first, but it's just one of thousands of stupid, pointless things we do (like housework, or tapping away at and staring at this computer, just to name two ). So I think they've learned to accept and not pay attention to our strange little quirks.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,781,980 times
I doubt they give it a second thought as Billy notes, they're already on to something else after they've kicked some grass and dirt over it. I don't mind, and I can't smell it unless it's quite foul, I had an illness when I was a teenager so have nearly no sense of smell.

To me it's part of pet ownership, and when it's pouring rain my dog refuses to go out so I'm spared that It doesn't get really cold here in S. FL but when it gets what we consider cold I bundle up.

I use inverted puppy poop bags and dump them in the kiosk. I never leave home without at least two in my pocket even if they went the last time we were out.

I also use a flashlight at night because some areas aren't well lit, it helps in several ways.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM

13,187 posts, read 8,061,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I think my dogs have their attention directed elsewhere after they go poo. They are tugging at the leash to get on with the walk to go elsewhere.
I never wonder what they're thinking, but I do always wonder why they haven't figured out that they have to wait a few seconds before continue on their walk. We do this once or twice a day, everyday, and they don't know that they can't just tug on their leash and pull me away?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:41 PM

4,813 posts, read 10,513,026 times
Because Dazzle likes to snack on poop, The joke is he is looking at me thinking " sure she yells at me so she can get the good stuff herself"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or