Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Trying to watch a movie in a theater while a very large fake "service" dog is panting, drooling, whining, and sticking its nose on peoples' legs is not a quality experience.
Quote:
Are we ok allowing that dog in public, even if it's a nuisance?
while panting and drooling isn't disruptive, whining, approaching strangers, not staying with its handler, having to be reeled in ect...unless the dog was tring to get help IS disruptive behavior you would have been well within your rights to complain to management who would have been well within their rights, if the dog was bring truly disruptive to ask the handler to remove the dog due to it being disruptive...

Quote:
What kind of trick would that be in a movie theater? What would the dog do if the owner was in imminent danger of having a blackout or seizure?
I have seizures and hypoglycemia, my service dog is trained to alert me when my blood sugar begins to drop, if I however ignore her or for whatever reason cannot get my medication or food in time shes also trained to bark for attention, repetitivl lick and nudge me and stay by my side to prevent someone from stealing my purse (and yes I actually had that happen prior to my service dog, someone actually stole my purse when i whent down...)
shes also trained to press my medical alert button...

we are also assuming this woman had seizures...did you ASK her what services her dog performed? did she tell you she was epileptic? theres MANY invisible disabilities that a service dog can help with, mabe the dog is a diabeti or hypoglycemic alert/response dog, mabe a psychiatric service dog (please note again psych service dogs are NOT emotpinal support or therapy dogs, they are TASK TRAINED) mabe its a PTSD dog, being a large breed mabe the handler has mobility issues and the dog helps with balance and stability, mabe the dog was a young dog and in training and this was its first time in a movie theater...
and
many epileptics CAN get their lisences back after getting a service dog because the dog tells the handler BEFORE they have a seizure so they can safely pull off the road and call for help BEFORE they have a seizure...

Quote:
I often find that peoples' requirements for dog behavior are more stringent than those they have for people, which is crazy to me.
ABSOLUTLY agree with this...my dobe is still in training for me (were currently working on public acess and shes doing incredibly well), i took her to a drs appointment, the moment we walked in and took a seat the looks and quiet comments started, one woman commented on how a "dirty dog" shouldn't be in a place where theres sick people, (in the mean time her little girl was shoving used tissues into the sides of the chair and rubbing her snotty nose on the seat.
another guy there with 3 young kids, who were running round the waiting room screaming like banchees, commented on how Disruptive a dog in the waiting room was...
in the meantime keira sat at my side, perfectly quietly, at one point she stood up and placed her head in my lap (which is part of her training when my anxiety levels start to rise) she didn't bark or cry or try to say hello to anyone...
and in the meantime they felt they had the right to call her dirty and disruptive as their own kids ran riot and dirtied up the place....

had she even blinked or sneezed funny i can only imagine the outrage...
and she does have a harness with a service dog patch on it so its not like she was completely unmarked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
For what it's worth, the new regulations now allowes individual states to criminalize "Service Animal" violations as it pertains to fake service dogs. Right now I believe only 4 states had laws making impersonating a service dog a violation of law, most had simple violations like a parking ticket that was never or seldom enforced. With the US Justice Department saying that local law enforcement is not in violation of ADA for vettng the legitimacy of a Service Dog if there is a reasonable belief that the animal may not be legitimate.

It shuld also be noted that many disabled advocacy/support groups for people with Service Animals aqlong with organizations involved in legitimate Service Dog advancement, have come out in favor of tougher federal regulations to include, if necessary, some form of identification. If you read the last DOJ comment request, virtually all organization for service animals supported working for new rules and only those questionable groups felt it was unfair.

I think that those with legitimate Service Animals realize that the current system is broken and fraud has overtaken the legitmate users. Some even advoicate for a single federal set of regulatiosn instead of the current three. They want one standard so people aren't abusing one law and applying it to an area not covered. Since major orgnizations that deal with legitimate service animals are not longer opposed to toughrer regulations, we may just see another revision of ADA, FHA and ACA that is designed to stop the fraud.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
What skin is it off anyone's back if they have their dog along?........

.......Mind your own.
It is a lot of skin off a landlord's back if he has a no-pets rental and has to let in an untrained, badly cared for dog just because the healthy owner lies and declares it to be a service animal. The landlord can't even get a deposit for the dog and the landlord has to pay for the ruined carpet, the chewed cabinets, and the vacancies when other tenants move out because of the howling and barking.

It's expensive skin off the store owner's back when an untrained fake service dog pees on an end cap display.

It's skin off the restaurant owner's back when the untrained fake service dog knocks down a customer and the restaurant owner gets sued over it.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 38,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It is a lot of skin off a landlord's back if he has a no-pets rental and has to let in an untrained, badly cared for dog just because the healthy owner lies and declares it to be a service animal. The landlord can't even get a deposit for the dog and the landlord has to pay for the ruined carpet, the chewed cabinets, and the vacancies when other tenants move out because of the howling and barking.

It's expensive skin off the store owner's back when an untrained fake service dog pees on an end cap display.

It's skin off the restaurant owner's back when the untrained fake service dog knocks down a customer and the restaurant owner gets sued over it.
To be fair, those really aren't problems with the current law. It's people breaking that law. In every single case you mentioned, the owner of the dog is responsible for the damage caused. You could charge them to make repairs in the house, make them pay for the damage to the store, and would not be liable in tort for damage to the person knocked over by a dog in a situation that did not involve your own negligence.

Last edited by annchry; 02-03-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I am in favor of legislation to protect legitimate service dogs. When everyone who has a dog, "poses" their dog as a "service dog" it does a huge disservice to people who have disabilities, and legitimate service dogs.

And makes it safer for service dogs as well.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I am not ANTI-legislation to protect service dogs. I AM anti legislation that would tack another cost onto those who can least afford to pay it: those with handicaps. Find some way to fund this legislation that does not involve paying a fee BY THOSE WHO NEED it to get a license/certificate/tag that identifies the service dog; perhaps the fees should be paid by fines in some way on those who misidentify.

But there's the rub - how does one prove that the dog is not a true service dog?

Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It would help if there were some serious legislation making it illegal to misrepresent a pet dog as a service dog.

There are signs at the handicapped parking stating that there is a $1000 fine for parking in that space if you don't have a handicapped sticker.

Pass a law against it with a big fine and let the stores post that on the door. "No animals except for service animals. $1000 fine for misrepresenting a pet as a service animal per Statute ####"

One of my friends, who has a service animal and is a prominent dog trainer sometimes testifies in court over whether or not a dog is really a service animal. She is considered to be an expert witness, and she is not very understanding about people who pretend to be handicapped in order to get special privileges.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
For this to work EVERY State Has to also agree as to What Training a SD Needs Above & Beyond just assisting some one with their Disability. Training ALL Dogs can be tested for. And should be for the Life time of the Dog not yearly.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
How many times is it better for This to happen than maybe a non-service dog get in?

'You're not blind, you can't have your dog in here!': Amputee veteran turned away by Starbucks employees who wouldn't let his service dog in store

Amputee veteran turned away by Starbucks who won't let his service dog in store | Mail Online

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Law Suit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs