Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,053 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Last week we adopted an 8 month old Schnoodle from a family who's life schedule changed and they could no longer care for the dog. We have been attempting to housebreak him but have run into some road bumps. We believe that he was never trained properly in his previous home.

We take him outside about every hour to 90 min's. We go to one spot and he always immediately pees. We stay out with him for 10 to 15 min's(in 15 degree weather) just in case he wants to go more. he usually pees at least once more. He also is pretty good about going poo but it's inconsistant. He is provided a treat immediately after going. I keep them in my pocket. Several times a day though he still pees in the house. Usually in one of two areas and sometimes as soon as 30 min's after we had him outside. The same thing happens with poo but it's usually not as often. We have a crate and when he is in there he even pees sometimes. I want to rule out a medical issue. We have an apointment scheduled at the vet in 10 days. We took him immediately to a clinic to get his shots updated (they were not) but the soonest they could see us for a well visit was 10 days. I haven't owned a dog since I was a teenager (and then it really was my parents). I feel like we are consistant with behaviors and we always feed him the same time of day.

I know it's only a week but is there any advice someone could offer a new pet owner?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
It sure sounds like you're doing everything right, and for that, I commend you.

It's possible he's not peeing but is marking his territory. Different breeds mature at different ages, but 8 months is like a teenager. I'll wait for someone else to offer words of wisdom. I really just wanted to thank you for giving this dear doggie another chance and for being caring and consistent.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
That is one lucky dog to get such a great new home. It sounds like you are doing the right things, the one time my dog started peeing in the house it was because he had a bladder infection. Is there any blood in the urine or if you wipe his tip right after he goes is there blood or pus? (Totally gross, I know) If so, it may be worth seeing if you can get into another vet sooner.

good luck!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyftony716 View Post
Hello All,

Last week we adopted an 8 month old Schnoodle from a family who's life schedule changed and they could no longer care for the dog. We have been attempting to housebreak him but have run into some road bumps. We believe that he was never trained properly in his previous home.

We take him outside about every hour to 90 min's. We go to one spot and he always immediately pees. We stay out with him for 10 to 15 min's(in 15 degree weather) just in case he wants to go more. he usually pees at least once more. He also is pretty good about going poo but it's inconsistant. He is provided a treat immediately after going. I keep them in my pocket. Several times a day though he still pees in the house. Usually in one of two areas and sometimes as soon as 30 min's after we had him outside. The same thing happens with poo but it's usually not as often. We have a crate and when he is in there he even pees sometimes. I want to rule out a medical issue. We have an apointment scheduled at the vet in 10 days. We took him immediately to a clinic to get his shots updated (they were not) but the soonest they could see us for a well visit was 10 days. I haven't owned a dog since I was a teenager (and then it really was my parents). I feel like we are consistant with behaviors and we always feed him the same time of day.

I know it's only a week but is there any advice someone could offer a new pet owner?

Thanks
I would be absolutely AMAZED if what you are describing is the result of a medical issue. At 8 months he should probably be big enough to know when and where to eliminate, but that's not out of the envelope for still being a work in progress (and "our life schedule changed" may be code for "I have no idea how to get this dog to stop peeing in the house").

Keep at it, you're doing it the right way. Some people will definitely differ with me, but I think an 8 month old dog that gets caught peeing in the house has earned a positive punishment. I don't mean that you should smack him or rub his nose in it, but you're not going to break his trust and kill his psyche if you clearly express to the dog how you feel about this practice of eliminating in the house. The way I look at it, it's extremely important to get your point across when they are doing what you want them to do, but there isn't balance if there's nothing at the other end of the spectrum; he has to know what you think is wrong to, well, know right from wrong.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
I would first eliminate the possible bladder issues, and while you are at it, eliminate the testicles as well. Then if he is simply marking, it will slow down and even stop the worst of that issue. Peeing in a crate, if he isn't crated too long should not be an issue, that is a red flag. Peeing in the house after all health and male issues are resolved should stop with continued housebreaking. It is true, the dog needs to know you are not happy with him though, once you know it is him just not doing what he needs to do.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
One of the forum members ViralMD has a wonderful step by step potty training thread, just to a search on this forum and you will find it.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Love this website!
Help! My Dog Is Peeing in the House! What Can I Do?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I have noticed positive steps by him just in the last 24 hours. I work from home everyday so I feel he is in a good environment to make mistakes and learn from them.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyftony716 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks
What you are describing is typical marking behavior. Even though he will not reach maturity until 18 months, it is very common for male puppies to begin the practice early. You should admonish this behavior indoors, but allow it outdoors. If you intend to have him neutered, this marking behavior will diminish significantly. Due to other medical issues, I would wait until he is 18 months old before having him neutered. At the very least, make certain he has had all of his vaccinations before neutering him. If you do not intend to have him neutered, then by the time he reaches sexual maturity (18 months old) he will also develop "wanderlust" behavior in addition to marking. So you will need to keep him on a leash or in a confined area any time he is outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs