U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,086 times

Advertisements

I have two labs. One of them is shedding terribly. She has the wire fur and I have used several different combs/brushes and do not get much off her. Neither of my labs can tolerate high protein foods or they get the runs. I have tried all kinds of food for them and they have to eat cheap food with hardly any protein. I know that they are probably lacking the nutrients in the high protein foods and that is probably what is causing the shedding. What can I do for it. I hear give them fish oil, olive oil, egg yolks etc. I need to know from someone else with the problem what worked for them. PLEASE do not say change their food. I have tried and they just can not tolerate any other food than what I am giving them. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 PM

18,940 posts, read 11,206,473 times
There is no way to stop shedding, it is natural and this time of year they are probably shedding layers because it is coming to the time of year for Spring and warmer weather.
We have 1 big dog and 2 cats and our home looks like the critter hair fairy threw up numerous times everywhere.
No matter how much we brush them and run the sweeper within 30 minutes you cannot tell we did any sort of brushing or cleaning.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no way to stop shedding, it is natural and this time of year they are probably shedding layers because it is coming to the time of year for Spring and warmer weather.
We have 1 big dog and 2 cats and our home looks like the critter hair fairy threw up numerous times everywhere.
No matter how much we brush them and run the sweeper within 30 minutes you cannot tell we did any sort of brushing or cleaning.
Its not just shedding one season a year. It is ALL year. Plus I hear that feeding low protein food does it. They can not eat anything else so I need to find something that will at least help a little.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:06 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,226,174 times
I have used fish oil, it works. I have used olive oil, it works. I have used eggs (plus yoke) and it works.

If using fish oil, I use the Kirkland (Costco) brand. My boys think it's a treat.

If using olive oil, I would spritz it on their food. Again, they think it's a treat.

If using eggs, you need to be careful, you don't want to give them too much, one because it is a good protein source and as you know, too much of that will cause the runs. So depending on their weight, you could start off with 2 a week...and see if that makes a difference. I would give it to them/him on different days. You can add one egg a week until your desired effect. ...and two, remember the fat in the yoke is what clogs our veins, it can happen in other animals, too.

In the mean time, get a fabric softener sheet and rub it over your shedding dog. (If it is unscented, it is better. Their noses are so sensitive.) It will help keep hair on your dog but you will still need to use a shedding blade, as to keep it off the furniture, carpets, etc.

Hope this helps!

I prefer this type of shedding blade it has a smaller edge one side and a little deeper edge on the other, it is great for a single or double coat dog.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM

6,128 posts, read 9,159,139 times
first thing im going to ask is have you had allergy, kidney and thyroid tests run on the dogs to find out why there not tolerating the other foods you've tried.
what "high protein" foods HAVE you tried?
its less likely to be a general "high protein" allergy and more likely to be either not giving the new food and the tummy time to readjust, or possibly an allergy to specific kinds of protein (ie poulty)
in general foods high in grian will worsen shedding, a GOOD diet (raw is well known for it) will help REDUCE shedding.

however, in terms of stopping it complelty...
you whent and got yourself two LABS...labs have a heavy double coat, they shed constantly thorugh the year and then BLOW the undercoat (shedding explosion) twice a year, short of shaving every hair off your lab or combing them EVERY DAY, you will never stop a lab shedding...supliments like fishoil are great for making the coat healthier, conditioning the skin itself and making the hair shaft of the over coat less brittle, but no amount of suplimentation will EVER stop a lab from profusely shedding due to the turnover rate of the labs hair follicle.

a good shedding blade like the one above or furminator used a couple times a week and a daily brishing with a regular comb, horse curry comb or stiff bristle brush (the shedding blades will bamage the outer coat if used daily but in order to keep the shed hairs controlled labs need daily bushing)
if your dog doesn't mind the vacume you can train them to be vacuumed everyday, a frined with a lab did that and it seriously helps, the dog even seemed to enjoy it, but many dogs are afraid of the vacume cleaner so that would be something to keep in mind, don't want to do that if its only going to seriously freek them out.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM

18,940 posts, read 11,206,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasmama View Post
Its not just shedding one season a year. It is ALL year. Plus I hear that feeding low protein food does it. They can not eat anything else so I need to find something that will at least help a little.

Animals shed all the time and there is nothing to be done about it.
Your animal may have some sort of outside allergy along with something in the other food you have tried.
It sounds like you need to make a visit to a good reliable veterinarian and have allergy tests run and see if there is a daily medication that can be given for allergies or whatever else they may find.

We have dog and cat hair in the house all the time as well as people hair because we humans lose hair as well, it is part of being alive and our ever changing bodies.

If you do not find a good vet and take your animal for a complete workup I don't know what else to tell you.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,264,688 times
There is nothing you can do. I groomed dogs and owned a shop for 18 years. Labs are one of the most prolific shedders alive. I had a lot of clients that literally shaved them bald to the skin year-round as a last option; their homes, clothes and furniture would become completely covered with hair on a daily basis, if they didn't shave them. Some tried to control the shedding with expensive weekly baths and rigorous brushing/coat blow outs with high velocity air, but trust me, the hair will just keep coming out, endlessly.

I call them confetti dogs because they drop hair like confetti all day long, everyday. It just keeps raining down on everything they touch. I own one Doberman who sheds like this, and her sire did also. My other red Doberman barely sheds at all. When I was working, I actually hired a cleaning lady; trying to keep up with the hair on everything in your house is a never ending battle. This dog can literally jump on a clean white sheet and lay down one time, get up, and the entire sheet is ruined and covered with black fur.

You can try all kinds of home remedies, trust me I have seen them all tried over the years. In the end there is no fix, as it boils down to genetics, coat type, and breed. The only way to control it is having the dog shaved with a 10 blade.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,057,707 times
Common misconception with people is that short haired dogs shed less then long hair dogs. So people often buy labs thinking they are not big shedders while in fact they tend to be. A long hair has a longer growth cycle as it takes longer for it to grow to its length once it does it will fall out but it has a longer life cycle so less turn over. A short hair reaches the end of its growth cycle much faster so it falls out much sooner and more often so a quicker turn over time in the coat. A dog with hair that continues to grow and needs cutting ever so often like a poodle has the longest growth cycle, yes eventually each hair will fall out just as yours does but because the life cycle of each hair is much longer the turn over is much longer so you do not notice shedding. And I know there are people out there saying wait my Aussie (or put any double coated breed with longish hair in there) sheds buckets well that is because they have more hair and that under coat is shorter then the outer coat so yeah you will see buckets of hair shed by them too and being it maybe longer then a labs it tends to be even more noticeable.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM

1,852 posts, read 955,574 times
shedding is natural but dogs with skin problems, allergies etc its goign to be worse than it should. i know you said dont mention food but id get your dog on a no grain limited ingredient food. there's also additives i always hear commercials for dynovite not sure if it works or not but commercials sure make it sound good. i like those rubber kong brushes they are the only thing that really works on my bulldog. i had the furminator for a while but i feel like it doesn't pull shedding hair out its got a blade so i feel like it just cuts the hair and thats not what i want

Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 PM

4,102 posts, read 3,056,843 times
LABS EQUAL BIG SHEDDER! Mine is on a high protein and still sheds all year long. My daughter fussed at me for getting a yellow lab. She said we wear a lot of black. What were you thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs