Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM

54 posts, read 109,664 times

Advertisements

I live on a lot up in Wake Forest. My family moved here about 8 years ago. When we moved in the backyard was overgrown and was essentially woods. We had a company come in and clear out the back of the lot and put a picket fence up, and most of our neighbors have done the same, with the exception of the lot directly north of us.

A family moved in there 2 years ago, and they are very nice. I hit it off with the father well enough and have had no issues with them as neighbors, save one. Shortly after moving in he told me he was getting a puppy and wanted to build a dog run in the back of his lot. He asked me if I would mind if he used my fence for one side of the run. Wanting to be a good neighbor I said "Sure. No problem."

It turns out he got a rottweiler puppy, cleared out a 15x15 space in the woods, and plunked his dog there. Like I said, the family are nice people, but they badly neglect this dog. I can count on two hands the number of times I have seen them take him out of his enclosure in 2 years (I work from home, so I'm looking out into their yard most of the day).

The dog has become aggressive. Lately when I go out to my shed or take my little girls into the yard to play, the dog growls and tries to jump the fence. When I tell people I am thinking of putting up a privacy fence on that side they say my neighbor would get angry. I am much more concerned with my family's safety and my own peace of mind at this point. I am thinking of asking him to move the enclosure of my fence first and see how that goes.

Am I being overly concerned with what the neighbors think? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
you are being underly concerned if there is such a word! I am not easily alarmed but this would very much concern me. I hate to hear of animals being treated this way. You cannot trust that you or your kids will be safe. I suggest you first ask your neighbor nicely a I am sure you would. If not, then if you have an HOA, see if you can add the fence. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
The safety of your family is paramount. Me, personally, I'd mention to my neighbor that I'm planning to put the fence up because of the children being scared and leave it at that. You can't really ask him to relocate the dog but you can give him a passive opportunity to do so. At least by handling it this way you're not making any demands of him and you're also letting him know why there's suddenly going to be an eight-foot fence bordering his property.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Hmmm. Why'd he get a dog? Odd. Was probably just for security if they don't spend time with it.

I think the suggestion to mention your plans to put up a fence because the kids are a bit scared is a good one.

I hope he responds favorably.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I would also be concerned, even if the dog is 100% securely fenced, that the dog will give your children a fear of dogs later in life. I know that sounds hokey. I'm not a person who has an issue with "aggressive breeds" (I don't believe in that term), nor am I a nanny-type that is over protective.

I've had rottweilers, and love dogs. But if this thing is scaring the c-rap out of your daughter, she'll probably always associate that with larger breeds, and have some anxiety. Not cool.

Yeah, at minimum, I'd put up a privacy fence if nothing else works, and also make sure your kids know that there are not bad breeds of dogs, just negligent owners who don't put enough effort in.

Opinionated? Probably, but that's my thoughts... I'd put the fence up if nothing else works.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM

54 posts, read 109,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Hmmm. Why'd he get a dog? Odd. Was probably just for security if they don't spend time with it.
You know, this is a great question. My neighbor behind me did the same thing too--built an enclosure and left her dog out there in the woods by itself 24/7.

It's awful. Both of the animals howl all day and night--I'm guessing because they are so lonely. If there's one thing I know for sure about dogs it is that they are social animals and desire to be with the pack.

Not trying to offend anyone, but is this a southern thing? I had never heard of people doing this until I moved here (I spent most of my life in the Northeast).

I don't see how it can be for security since the dogs are 100 yards from the house off in the woods behind a fence.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 PM

236 posts, read 555,719 times
This irritates me! Why do people get dogs just to leave them outside! If the dog is being neglected like you are describing, he won't live long. I would talk to HOA or even call animal control if the dog is a threat to your children.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
You could call animal control and ask them about the situation. Depending on your county/area, there are differing laws on it.

I do think popping a fence up will not cause the dog to stop growling/barking...

Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fds472 View Post
You know, this is a great question. My neighbor behind me did the same thing too--built an enclosure and left her dog out there in the woods by itself 24/7.

It's awful. Both of the animals howl all day and night--I'm guessing because they are so lonely. If there's one thing I know for sure about dogs it is that they are social animals and desire to be with the pack.

Not trying to offend anyone, but is this a southern thing? I had never heard of people doing this until I moved here (I spent most of my life in the Northeast).

I don't see how it can be for security since the dogs are 100 yards from the house off in the woods behind a fence.

The only Southerners who keep dogs that tend to have them in pens pretty often (in my experience) are those who keep hunting dogs. But, these dogs get out to spend time with their owners to hunt and such... still, I wouldn't say that most of them are treated exactly the way you'd treat a little pet that stays indoors most of the time, yanno?

I don't really get owning a dog (particularly in a subdivision with smaller lots) and not having it near/in the house. I do know people who own acreage that keep their dogs in pens, but there are usually a few dogs minimum and they have PLENTY of space to run and dog houses almost as nice as the house the humans are living in.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
You could call animal control and ask them about the situation. Depending on your county/area, there are differing laws on it.

I do think popping a fence up will not cause the dog to stop growling/barking...
Nope...But hearing a critter bark behind a five foot tall fence is a heck of a lot less intimidating than seeing a Rott jumping up and barking and snarling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
View detailed profiles of: