U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,996,206 times

Advertisements

Granulated rawhide doesn't have the problems of choking hazards that regular (or compressed) rawhide does, but it's not as long lasting either.

We have one deer antler chew that one of our dogs will chew now and then, but they don't seem to have the same interest in them as they do the rawhides and other "flavored" stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,553,535 times
i give my dogs rawhide all the time but they lose interest before it ever gets small enough to eat so ill let them chew on it for a day or two then toss it in the garbage and give them a new one to work on.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,517,835 times
The last time I gave Sasha a Rawhide, she ate half of the 3' Rawhide (the kind with knots on both ends) in about half an hour. It scared the crop out of me how quickly she ate it. After that, I prohibited my girlfriend from giving her the other half or new rawhides. We used to pick them up at petsmart for $10. I switched to the deer antlers. She loves those but they are sooo expensive!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 PM

839 posts, read 1,035,133 times
No rawhide and bones have to be thick beef bones he cannot break apart. Just not worth the risk.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 PM

51,697 posts, read 13,048,046 times
No rawhide for Millie. She's happy with the treats I give her and the nylabone to chew on.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM

7,374 posts, read 12,906,554 times
We give our chihuahua those pig feet we buy at Tractor Supply. She loves those things and they last forever!
What gets me about all this about not giving chicken bones to dogs is our dogs, when I was growing up, lived on chicken bones and nobody thought anything about it. Everybody let the dogs eat chicken bones.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,030,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Do you give your pooch rawhides? I used to give my golden retriever those giant Rawhide bones from petsmart, but I hear so much bad publicity about how they can cause bowel obstructions that I decided it best to stop giving them to her. I know she misses them dearly.
There are too many issues with rawhides. I suggest finding a new toy to chew. Kong makes great chew toys that last. They even make chew toys for seniors (they are softer but just as durable.)

Something else I love about the Kongs, they usually have a hole in the bottom (on one end) that you can stick treats, kibble and best of all a little peanut butter...that can keep your dog busy for not just a few minutes but for hours at a time.

Red: Intense chewers
Black: Aggressive chewers
Seniors: Softer chews but still durable

Seniors: KONG Senior - KONG

Rubber Dog Toys | Ultra Durable dog & puppy toys | Kong Company

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 02-11-2014 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: wording was wrong...

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,517,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
There are too many issues with rawhides. I suggest finding a new toy to chew. Kong makes great chew toys that last. They even make chew toys for seniors (they are softer but just as durable.)

Something else I love about the Kongs, they usually have a hole in the bottom (on one end) that you can stick treats, kibble and best of all a little peanut butter...that can keep your dog busy for not just a few minutes but for hours at a time.

Red: Intense chewers
Black: Aggressive chewers
Seniors: Softer chews but still durable

Seniors: KONG Senior - KONG

Rubber Dog Toys | Ultra Durable dog & puppy toys | Kong Company
Yea, we have a Kong for Sasha. The first one we gave her was the red Kong. She was maybe, a year old, and within a few minutes she was ripping chunks out of the Kong. Thank God I was right there to prevent her from eating it. Lol. We have been using the black Kong for about 2 years now, and it's far superior than the red one.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,405,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Do you give your pooch rawhides? I used to give my golden retriever those giant Rawhide bones from petsmart, but I hear so much bad publicity about how they can cause bowel obstructions that I decided it best to stop giving them to her. I know she misses them dearly.

Absolutely not.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 PM

22,548 posts, read 28,491,298 times
The Jaws Of Death gets rawhide. That is for self defense, to save myself, my sanity, my shoes, and the leather sofa.

The rawhides with knots at the end are more dangerous. The knots can be taken off whole and swallowed. So, I only buy the retriever rolls. I don't buy any food from China, so Wyatt McRiot gets retriever rolls that are American grown and made. If I can't get those, he occasionally gets rawhide from South America.

The rawhide chewing is supervised and it is at least safer than having him eating sticks, rocks, his dog bed, or my son's prized leather antique recliner.

He refuses to develop any interest in Kongs. I can get him to fetch one a couple of times, but he won't chew them. With the bully sticks, he can devour a 12" stick in 3 minutes, and those things are too expensive to feed like they are cookies. The Papillons get bully sticks, but only when they are isolated from Wyatt, so he can't take them away and swallow them.

On the plus side for the rawhide, it keeps teeth nice and clean and dirty teeth can cause heart problems.

My opinion, it doesn't matter what a dog is eating, it should always be under supervision. Take the end of the rawhide away when it gets small enough to be swallowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs