Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM

27 posts, read 67,693 times

Advertisements

He is a 8yo Boxer, he got into a fight with one of our cats im assuming because we weren't there and one of her claws were in his head, but she was killed by him back in December. We took him to the shelter but go him back Xmas eve because after having him since 8weeks old we just him up too easily and we crate him when we aren't home.
But we have 2 other dogs a golden retriever which he loves and a cairn terrier which they get along well too but since we got the Boxer back he was attacked the terrier for no reason at all and the first time he drew blood and a little bit of the terrier's fur. He doesn't growl or anything he just starts attacking and and it seems like he is going for the throat or something.
I really don't want to give up on him again but I really think I should reconsider the option of putting him on craigslist for a only dog home. Can a trainer be helpful here?

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,792 times
I wonder if anything is going on with him Mentally/Physically?

He is rather old to have a change in personality.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Yes, take him to the vet. With a sudden behavior change at age 8, he is very likely ill or having age-related mental changes. Keep him separate from the other dogs.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
I can't imagine a Cairn terrier has much of a chance against a boxer; please keep them separated until you figure out what's going on.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt, and not the ideal situation, but I have to do it with a couple of my own dogs. You do what you have to do.

I agree with the others about there possibly being something medical going on with the boxer; it's always been my understanding that eight is actually "aged" as far as boxers go; maybe there is something age-related going on, possibly dementia?

Good luck. It sounds like you love your animals and that you are trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I just want to say that I'm sure that cat's claw was in his forehead because the cat was defending itself, not attacking him.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
1: DO NOT REHOME ON CRAIGSLIST...you know he is showing aggression problems (right now its towards a dog, but should an accident happen and you don't disclose he has aggression issues you could be held liable...
if you cant keep him he needs to be placed carefully and best to work with people EXPERIENCED with placing dogs like this...

2: VET...
I had to have my bully boy euthed after he suddenly started acting randomly aggressive...with maturity he started having some issues with my small male dog...then overnight that occasional spat turned into full blown aggression, he got my parrot, and my cat, both lost their lives, and then whent for my little guy all in the space of a weekend...I took him to the vet and he had a large tumor on his brain that the vet belives had finally driven him to the point of just lashing out...he showed NO other symptoms beyond that occasional early issue with my male (but male on male aggression, not unusual and id been crate/rotating)
the vet deamed the tumor too far gone to operate so I had him euthanized.

generally ANY sudden change in behavior warrents a vet visit!

3:crate and rotate, even if your home, I found out the hard way it only takes the blink of an eye for a large dog to kill a smaller animal. I wouldn't trust him with any other anials at this time until you find out whats going on.

4: NO TRAINER, youd need a behaviourist...a trainer does just that, they train" a dog by rewarding/modifying set behaviours...
a behaviourist doesnt train, they instead try to get to the underlying reason behind behavioural issues...

Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 PM

27 posts, read 67,693 times
What I have noticed that when this random behavior started he started getting skin tags everywhere. What could be going on in his body?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
He's an older dog, as they (and people) age, there are health concerns, not sure when his last vet visit was but he needs to be vetted now, there's a reason his behavior has changed, could be that he's just cranky bc of various aches and pains but it c/b something else like a brain tumor, thyroid issue or whatever, many seniors have changes of personalities, they want to sleep more etc and sometimes get out of sorts at times. You owe it to him as well as your other pets to take him to the vet for a thorough workup, definitely dont leave him alone w/ any of the others, get him a nice bed in the meantime and crate him or gate him in the kitchen when you cant be there.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
You should get him to the vet asap before something else bad happens.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 AM

429 posts, read 971,514 times
i agree with everyone eles here. He needs to see a vet asap/ He could be in pain and that is causing his aggression or he could be sick or brain may be functioning differently(kinda like people who get alzheimers and get mean and abusive and violent) He needs to see a vet to figue out why he iS acting this way now, Also u said you have children, not sure how old they are but you need to exercises EXTRA caution with your children and their interaction with the dog and not allow them to be unsupervised with the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs