U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

708 posts, read 1,240,649 times

Advertisements

I had a Pug before this pup who devoured food. This pup does not love food (she does love soft treats, though) and cannot get in the recommended amount of food each day cause she just nibbles here and there. Because of schedules, I can't just leave the food out all day and I cannot hand feed her (she will eat it all if I hand feed) and I need to put the food in a bowl (she likes it spewed in a square foot area.).
I would prefer her to just eat her meal when it's given. Please don't give me flack, it's not a crazy request.
Has anyone had this issue before? Add soft food with the hard? Soak the food to make it softer?
Hoping there's an answer. She is on her third type of food and at first she will eat it quickly, but after eating that food a few times, she is like "meh!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times
She's using food to manipulate her owners.

Some suggestions

No treats unless her required portions of food have been eaten during the day. Dogs don't need treats. They're OK but not in place of food.
No hand feeding - never- this will create a monster who will not eat unless coaxed. This is nonsense and will drive you crazy.

What your dog is doing is trying very hard to train you to do what she wants. What she wants is to be hand fed treats. It's also a way of getting owner attention.

Find a good quality dry dog food. Add a little bit of something flavorful to it. Wet dog good, a little yogurt, egg, cottage cheese, cooked chicken. etc. even non spicy human leftovers. Add a bit of warm water, stir it together and put it in her dish and on the ground.

Leave it down for 20 minutes and ignore her. Don't make a big deal over food. Don't watch her eat. If she eats, fine. If she doesn't, after 20 minutes toss it and give her nothing, absolutely nothing until the next meal. Then the same thing, food in her bowl, eat it or not . Then on to the next meal. No treats.

Do not give in to her. If she doesn't eat fully for a few days, that's OK. She will not deliberately starve herself. She will eat on the third to fourth day. Here's where people go wrong and start to feed treats in a panic because the dog won't eat. Then a very fussy eater is created. Only when she is eating her required amount of dog food steadily can she get a treat in the evening. Use the smallest size treat you can find and give them out infrequently.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 PM

639 posts, read 1,553,172 times
I've had two different puppies, at different times, that did not like to eat out of bowls. They would only eat kibble off the floor. So I just dumped their food on the kitchen floor and they would eat it right up. After they grew up some I gave them bowls and they would eat like civilized doggies. I tried both ceramic and stainless steel bowls, and never did find out why they disliked them.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM

161 posts, read 135,703 times
I hand feed pups. I think its wonderful for bonding and training. Hand feeding pups has never created a problem with picky eaters for me.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,190,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
I had a Pug before this pup who devoured food. This pup does not love food (she does love soft treats, though) and cannot get in the recommended amount of food each day cause she just nibbles here and there. Because of schedules, I can't just leave the food out all day and I cannot hand feed her (she will eat it all if I hand feed) and I need to put the food in a bowl (she likes it spewed in a square foot area.).
I would prefer her to just eat her meal when it's given. Please don't give me flack, it's not a crazy request.
Has anyone had this issue before? Add soft food with the hard? Soak the food to make it softer?
Hoping there's an answer. She is on her third type of food and at first she will eat it quickly, but after eating that food a few times, she is like "meh!"
Stop the treats.

Plenty of dogs have weirdness with bowls. If she wants it spread out, and you can't find a bowl she'll use put it on a cookie sheet that won't move around. I know a vet that feeds her jumbo breeds that way to slow them down to avoid bloat. Trays and trays all over the kitchen.

Why can't you leave it out?

NO don't soak it.

Pick a food and stick to it. You can mix in some canned (JUST A LITTLE AT FIRST) but then you can't leave it out.

And we ASSUME she's had a full vet check, correct? And all her teeth are ok, correct?

She'd probably love canned food but it's not great for the teeth. And remember once you start she's going to expect it forever. It's only fair.

This is a YOUNG PUPPY. I'd be trying to figure out what is triggering all this stuff. Usually it's something WE ARE DOING not the dog.

She also got tired of the treats in your other thread.

Puppy training questions

Cesar Millan had an episode of a Newfie who wouldn't eat. He had to be completely retrained to be a dog, the owner treated him like a human baby and he had essentially forgotten how to be a dog. All he did was lay around and have cooked human food delivered to him and he completely lost interest in THAT.

LONG WALKS and enrichment are important, just like I said in the other post.

IT's not about FOOD.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS IT WOULD BE great if you would not reply to my threads. I don't really care for your tone. Although, this was much nicer than the other response from you.Thanks!

Anyway, I mixed some soft food in with a little water and she was thrilled. So, we will see if it lasts.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 AM

482 posts, read 720,585 times
I have some dogs that eat perfectly fine and some that don't love food. The ones that don't are both from the same bloodline. If this is a dog you purchased you can ask the breeder if this runs in the lines and how to rectify it. I've found some stuff that works for my dogs but you'll have to ask on yours.

Sometimes, they just aren't in love with food. That may or may not be the case with your dog, but it can't be ruled out at this point either.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:22 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,616,874 times
Jane, glad to hear the water has done the trick so far. I have two that acted that way, and now I have two spoiled monsters. I would give anything to have a re-do. Mine wont eat unless I throw the ball. I mean that literally. They will. not. eat. My son says they'll eat and wont starve, but I went 3 days and they still wouldn't touch a bite.

One food item that might help you, is Natural Balance in roll form. They call it puppy crack. If you shred a bit over the dry, I don't think any dog <except mine> will resist it. Good luck, and stay firm.
Oh, the NB is healthy but fattening, and you can buy a small roll for about $.99 to try it out. Its also great as a treat, instead of risking stuff from China.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 AM

Where do I buy the nb from?

What do you mean they wont eat unless you throw the ball?

thank you for your tips!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times
You can buy Natural Balance food logs any place that sells regular Natural Balance dog food. Petco/ Petsmart carries it, many combo animal feed / plant /nursery supply stores ( such as most Agways), some smaller pet supply stores.

The logs come in beef, lamb & turkey varieties. Some of my dogs won't touch the turkey but they all love the lamb first, then the beef.

I will tell you to shop around because prices vary greatly, or at least my area they do. Keep in mind this is a complete feed, so if you try it, use a little bit or reduce the dry kibble a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or