Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Would you go this far? This is a sad story. I can see this for a chidless couple but I don't think i would give up my home with children in the mix. This couple has more problems than just a pitbull.

Family Chooses Homelessness Over Abandoning Pit Bull - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:27 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
It seems a bit extreme to me as well that they're not prioritizing their kids. And honestly, I can't blame the landlords if this dog already has a strike against him. I wouldn't be worried about a pit bull necessarily, but one that had already seriously injured another dog? That would be worrisome.

And I dunno, I kinda wonder about choosing to have two dogs when you have kids and you're delivering papers for a living, in addition to being homeless. I'm not the kind of person who can be without a dog, but if I had minimal resources and also had kids...

It reminds me of some of the less mentally stable people that I know, this grandstanding over an issue. I wouldn't be putting the dog down, but I'd have been working pretty hard to rehome the dog all along.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I would guess that there are a lot more issues than a pitbull. Fired for Breach of Security? Not a good reference. Working delivering papers? I would suspect insufficient income. That can't be a great paying job, so I suspect that no one will hire them for anything involving any more education, brains, or reliability.

Is there bad credit? Their prior landlord kicked them out, so a bad landlord reference?

Not to mention, just all around bad judgment. Every tenant knows that dogs are an issue. Big dogs are a bigger issue. Pitbulls aren't accepted by landlords. So what sort of thought process goes into a tenant getting a nice big pitbull? The history of attacking other dogs does not help.

This looks suspiciously like one of those begging stories. Poor us, we are so noble and it is all about our loyalty to our dog, so won't you send us some money or give us a free place to live?

Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Why on earth are they bringing Cathy, the Craig's List pittie, into the picture. They have nothing to do with each other.

Bad form.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I'll help them. People who are that responsible and caring deserve my help. Their dogs deserve it even more.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
To answer the question "would you go this far". I assume it is a question of if I would give up/abandon my dogs for a place to live. The answer is no. I would find a way if it meant living in a van or a cardboard box.

I own my home free and clear so it is unlikely I would be in this situation. If I were faced with this I would probably buy a camper truck and boondock a lot in rural areas.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I think you know my answer to this question. Frankly, it surprises me that this question even has to be asked.

Simply enough--these people are sick in the head. You are making CHILDREN homeless, CHILDREN, and all over a DOG? Are you freaking kidding me? Even the post about a dog triggering allergies in the children isn't as bad as this. But homelessness, over a DOG? If you even have to ask, you're beyond help.

Frankly, if I knew these people in real life, I'd call social services on them in a MINUTE. That is really saying something, because I typically abhor social services & how people call them over every little thing, few things burn me more than someone calling on someone because they spank their child or let them play outside in their yard unsupervised etc. For me to advocate calling social services, it has to be bad. This absolutely is.

"The 4 legged children are just as important as the 2 legged ones"--please, that is nothing less than a perverted and mentally sick point of view. Children are children, pets are animals. Period. Anyone who would treat their pet and children the same and state that the only difference between them is the number of legs they possess, they belong in a mental institution.

These people are no better than those who sell their children to the sex slave industry, or let their child stay with an uncle etc they know to be a molester, or burn their child's face with a cigarette etc. They are unfit parents who don't deserve to even know where their children are and have any visitation rights, much less have custody.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
And I dunno, I kinda wonder about choosing to have two dogs when you have kids and you're delivering papers for a living, in addition to being homeless. I'm not the kind of person who can be without a dog, but if I had minimal resources and also had kids...
This drives me crazy. My girlfriend was struggling financially as a single mother after divorce. She was getting eviction notices right and left, utilities shut off, etc. Out of the blue, she said she wanted to get a dog. A big dog so she would feel safe. She already has three cats, two of which she recently added even though she was having financial troubles. And she doesn't need to feel safe. I STRESSED that she could NOT get a dog when she can't even pay her rent. When I told her my dog, who is a mid-size dog, cost $100/month, she finally accepted she couldn't do it. The world is full of idiots. I'd move heaven and earth to not lose my pets. If it meant having a family member keep them temporarily, I'd do that. Homeless with children? Not an option. There has to be a better way. Honestly, I don't know why CPS isn't taking these kids away. There's no law against homelessness, but these parents are CHOSING to make their children homeless, and that's child abuse in my book.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Would you go this far? This is a sad story. I can see this for a chidless couple but I don't think i would give up my home with children in the mix. This couple has more problems than just a pitbull.

Family Chooses Homelessness Over Abandoning Pit Bull - ABC News
Idiots.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Some comments I'm reading are suggesting that the "children" are in fact grown adults, which renders moot the issue of child abuse & choosing a dog over children.

Even if that's the case, it's absolutely shocking how many people, even operating under the assumption that the children are in fact children, STILL support this. You can't be serious. My response, if the "children" are in fact grown, would still be that people really need perspective on how a dog is a DOG. It is that sort of attitude that leads to neighbors with yappy mutts that won't shut up and you can't even fully enjoy your own property in peace, because by George their dog is smarter than you are and dogs are going to bark; heck, if their dog trespasses into your yard and hurts your children, why your children shouldn't have been outside IN THEIR OWN YARD. Those sorts of problems stem from the attitudes that this family & their supporters are displaying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs