U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times

Advertisements

My little pei Buddha seems to have a milky film over one eye. I asked the vet who said "some dogs function ok with it"

Is there a test or way to tell? She seems to do okay outside in pen but indoors is a bit skittish and paranoid of coming near my larger dog.

Buddha:
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 8,923,068 times
Sounds like the start of a cataract. He is probably still seeing shadows so its hard to gauge the function.

PLEASE- If you notice any increased drinking or urination have him checked for diabetes. I noticed some cloudyness in my dogs eyes but didn't realize it was due to the onset of diabetes until the peeing/drinking got bad.

I am not saying ALL dogs with cloudy eyes have diabetes- it is just a sign.

I have an old beagle "Buddy" that is 20 years old and he has had a cataract in one eye for the past six or seven years. He did fine with it but last year he lost the vision in his other eye. He gets around still but I have to help him sometimes.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Aw, best to him...Buddha is only six but I guess it can happen anytime. Is there surgery for it? Its worrying bcs she is territorial and doesn't like my older female dog, so I have to watch her and keep them separate when I'm at work.
Older dog is a Rottie/pei mix, and has no problem defending herself.

Thanks for info., she doesn't seem to be drinking more than usual, and eats normally etc.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM

5,570 posts, read 8,923,068 times
You can have cataract surgery done but it is very expensive. Another thing comes to mind- did she hurt her eye recently such as a scratch or irritation? I had a dog that was scratched in the eye by a thorn one time and her eye clouded up for a while. It returned to normal a few weeks later.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 PM

Not sure. she hasn't bumped into anything. I will be trying to find a dog ophthalmologist I guess bcs she's also afraid at night to go out, she smells the ground a lot more, and will only go out with her brother (he's on a leash and she walks loose).
She Is very afraid of dark now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or