U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,114 times

Advertisements

So I know there was an older topic on this subject, but I didn't really want to revive it as I am not sure that I am asking the same question.

I want to know what my options are;

I found a dog, it has been advertised twice on Craigslist in my area. The lady claims that she just can't afford the dog anymore. She has pictures (including a new one with the second posting, both postings are about 3ish months apart). He looks like a reasonably healthy dog, he is the right size, the right color, just love him already lol. What are the risks. I know I can afford a dog, I can spend time with him, exercise right, etc. however, if he were to have some sort of horrible disease or anything like that I definitely couldn't deal with that (perhaps that means I shouldn't have a dog?). So my question is where do I go from here? I want him, but I want to make sure I am making the right move. I want to just be sure that if I get him I will be able to handle any situation (god forbid if he had one of the afore mentioned horrible diseases or anything like that).

I will say that I am not getting a puppy (well depends on your definition I suppose lol); The advertisement is as follows;

"Petrie is approximately a year old hes doggy door trained gets along great with other dogs he's a min pin mix...beautiful colors! He's approximately 25 lbs I don't think he will get much bigger. He is very sweet, he likes to snuggle. Gets along great with other dogs and also he loves children. He is fixed and has had all shots. I am unable to take care of him any longer. Single mother and times are rough. Please help. Email for more pics and info. To good home only ! Please help I don't want to take him to the pound"

If you guys think it will help I will gladly link the ad as well, just let me know.

Any comments are much appreciated here. I really appreciate any and all help as I really have been missing the dogs I used to live with when I was at my parents house (PS; I suppose I should share that I have owned dogs before, I am an Executive Chef so I really am in a stable position in my life and know how to care for a dog). Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,009,968 times
Ask the owner if you can get a copy of the vet records and if you can arrange to meet/visit the dog before making a decision. Ask the owner where she got the dog - and were there any records on it's breeding (sire/***** testing, etc).

There are no guarantees about the health of the dog, I don't think...

Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,482,740 times
JMO, but buying/getting a dog from a Craig's List ad isn't the danger. It's selling a beloved pet on Craig's List that's the problem. People buy dogs for horrible reasons, including to be used a bait dogs for dog fighting or just plain overbreeding to have an income from puppies. I wouldn't hesitate to inquire/buy a dog from Craig's List unless I thought it was a puppy mill or puppies were being sold for nefarious reasons.

Go see the dog. Visit with the lady. Go with your gut. It seems to me that the dog is meant for you.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,303,592 times
It's a roll of the dice. As previous poster noted, ask for shot records. You can be pretty sure she won't have any, but ask anyway. If she says she lost them blah, blah, blah, have her call her vet to get another set. You'll probably get a song and a dance but try anyway.

Go see the dog. Make sure he's neutered- lol. See if she can show you his teeth. Look for signs of aging, discoloration, etc. that would indicate he's much older than she says. Pet the dog after he gets used to being in your presence. Look for lumps and bumps, signs of pain.

Basically assume you're going to have to update his vaccinations if you take him. Temperament wise- who knows. Maybe she's lying maybe not. He could be a lovely dog, then could be a terror once you get him home.

Assume the dog is gong to have to take some time ( weeks or months) to get used to your home and will need training. The dog may have been passed around on Craigslist a few times. Single mother with kids and offering a small dog on Craigslist? Pooch is likely totally untrained and was picked up cheap or free as a toy for her kids. Now they and she are tired of it.

That doesn't mean this isn't a good that you would be happy with. It just means you may have to put some effort into the new dog. Good luck. Health wise, it's just a risk you take getting a pet from an unreliable source.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,401,612 times
Ask to take the dog to a vet of your choice.

If she wants to go with you.....let her.

If she hesitates......walk away.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM

78 posts, read 107,984 times
I think you've gotten tremendous advice! If you choose to take him I would assume that you will need to take him to the vet for a thorough check up and vaccinations, get enrolled in a training class (as much for yourself as for him) and plan on a perhaps lengthy adjustement period. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,286,600 times
Recently my friends got a puppy through Craiglist, and it died three days later. Turns out it was sick when they got it. That would probably be my biggest concern with getting a dog through Craigslist - it's possible the lady only wants to give the dog away because the vet bills would be too expensive for her to pay.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,114 times
Thank you very much everyone. I e-mailed the woman back and hopefully I'll get a response and let you all know how it works out. Hopefully in the near future I will have the little guy in my arms .

And yeah MisfitBanana that is my worst concern. Honestly I am not worried if he is older than a year or if he needs some focus training. I am just worried he will have some horrible disease and I won't be able to help him :/ .

Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM

22,698 posts, read 28,731,890 times
Two different ads at two different times for a small and cute dog. I am not going to be surprised that she wants an unreasonably large rehoming fee. A small cute dog with nice manners should not be that difficult to place.

OP, first make sure the temperament is nice. You don't want a dog who shrinks back from you and panics if you try to touch him. He should be friendly. Some nice dogs will try to crawl up into your lap and some dogs prefer to get to know you first, but a dog with a good temperament will be confident about you and not show any fear or worry.

Eyes should be clear, no gum or goobers at the corners. Sniff the ears to make sure they don't stink. You want the coat to look like healthy shiny hair, not be dull or turned up at the ends.

The dog should move using all four legs, if he hops or skips in back or moves with one leg held up, pass him by.

He's a small dog and might need to have his teeth cleaned. Budget for that.

A trip to the vet for a wellness check should be done when you get the dog. Make arrangements to return him of he doesn't pass his physical.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,042,540 times
I got my Spanky (see his pics in my photo album) from a Craigslist post. He was about a year old and needed to be fostered. I knew that sometimes, people don't come back for their pets and I have had him every since. He's about seven now...

Best "free" dog I've ever owned. (lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or