U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,930,414 times

Advertisements

I make a home made stew for my poodle and cocker spaniel:

I found this recipe online from a vet:

3 cups of a grain (either oats, brown rice, or barley)
1 cup of meat (hamburger, chicken, turkey or sausage)
1 cup of veggie (spinach, broccoli, or carrots)
Three Tums for the calcium
Two tablespoons of fat (either vegetable oil or olive oil)

I mix the above stew with Royal canine because the cocker spaniel has gets bladder crystals. Expensive but they love it.

My poodle gets a half cup in the morning of the stew, and a half at night mixed with the Royal, cocker spaniel gets half cup of the stew in the morning and full cup mixed with the Royal at night.

They also get two (small) raw hide bones per day. They get poopoo treats throughout the day, either a piece of carrot, watermelon, apple, piece of lettuce or spinach.

We also give them table scraps, maybe a quarter cup of whatever we are eating just to give them a taste, or if we're eating chips, hand them maybe three each so they can munch with us.

I don't give them any sugar because I'm trying to hold onto their teeth (I brush them about twice a week). Since I have stopped giving them the store bought food, they are much healthier, bouncier, have more energy (especially the poodle, he's 11 years old this year)

Do you have an alternative diet for your dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
I feed Raw...raw meat, raw bone, raw organ...preferably prey model.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM

22,559 posts, read 16,711,588 times
80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ.

And sometimes, if I'm eating a carrot or a banana, and they look at me that way that they do, (the boy gets the "area of concern" around his eyebrows, and the girl somehow puffs her face up to make herself cuter...seriously), they will get to have one bite of it.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Mine has serious allergies to most meats and grains. Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Venison and Sweet Potato. 1/4 cup of dry and half a can of canned twice a day. Fresh vegetables for treats every time he comes inside from being out of the house which is constant sometimes.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 PM

13 posts, read 3,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I make a home made stew for my poodle and cocker spaniel:

I found this recipe online from a vet:

3 cups of a grain (either oats, brown rice, or barley)
1 cup of meat (hamburger, chicken, turkey or sausage)
1 cup of veggie (spinach, broccoli, or carrots)
Three Tums for the calcium
Two tablespoons of fat (either vegetable oil or olive oil)

I mix the above stew with Royal canine because the cocker spaniel has gets bladder crystals. Expensive but they love it.

My poodle gets a half cup in the morning of the stew, and a half at night mixed with the Royal, cocker spaniel gets half cup of the stew in the morning and full cup mixed with the Royal at night.

They also get two (small) raw hide bones per day. They get poopoo treats throughout the day, either a piece of carrot, watermelon, apple, piece of lettuce or spinach.

We also give them table scraps, maybe a quarter cup of whatever we are eating just to give them a taste, or if we're eating chips, hand them maybe three each so they can munch with us.

I don't give them any sugar because I'm trying to hold onto their teeth (I brush them about twice a week). Since I have stopped giving them the store bought food, they are much healthier, bouncier, have more energy (especially the poodle, he's 11 years old this year)

Do you have an alternative diet for your dogs?

This recipe is similar to mine that my vet made for me you really should not use the tums as they can me harsh on their system for the calcium and otherinerals there are other natural things you can sub like boiled eggs and the egg shell the egg shell is super high in calcium and if you wash them and then grind them in a spice grinder you can use one level teaspoon per cup of food and believe me five hard boiled eggs produce a lot of shell powder. Legumes which are recommended for homemade diets for dogs provide a huge amount of vitamins and minerals but most importantly is the magnesium that is in them like Max prefers pintos he will gobble them up without being mixed into the food batch he loves them now black beans or red beans not so much and I haven't tried navy or white beans yet and the vet said homemade hummus is good for them just leave out the garlic. Garlic in very small amount s won't harm them but garlic has the same toxin as onions it is a long word and hard to spell. When make Max's food I boil the eggs and then shell them under water one it makes it easier to remove and two the shell gets automatically cleaned for grinding I just have to dry them which I usually just just lay them on paper towels to dry while I am waiting for his food to cool so I can portion it up in ziplock bags he is a small fog so he gets a cup and a half keep in mind the heavier the dog the less they require unless you are trying to get them to gain weight like my friend her standard poodle lost a lot of weight because of a bowel obstruction and post surgery her vet said she needed to gain weight so she needed to eat at least 1500 calories which works out to 3 cups of food at a feeding and that dog eats it up.

Here is my recipe in case anyone would like it:

White Rice/barley 3 cups of dry (dog doesn't like oats and the vet said new tests show that brown rice is too hard on the digestive track because their digestive cycle is too short to fully process the brown rice)

Chicken (I either use boiled breasts with bones or rotisserie from the grocery store if I use the store bought prepared chicken I make sure to get the plain flavored instead of garlic pepper/lemon pepper/barbeque and I use chicken broth to boil the rice or barley and if I boil chicken I have instant broth or I buy the sodium and fat free variety)

Offal/ground turkey - I buy ground turkey rolls on sale and if they don't have any then I buy a package if gizards amd hearts and a cup of livers even if I have turkey I buy the cup of livers for the iron content and cup od chicken livers is like a buck fifty and tyson brand hearts and livers are like 2.50

Frozen peas and carrots one frozen bag of each per batch

Frozen greens one bag per batch

Pinto beans (dry reconstituted and cooked with no salt or spices of any kind or canned but rinsed very very very thoroughly) I can per batch or 1 &1/2 cups of reconned dry beans

3 teaspoons of olive oil and don't waste your money on EVOO you can even use the olive canola blend

4 boiled eggs per batch

This recipe makes 14 cup and a half servings which for my pup which weighs 27lbs is 7 days worth as he gets fed twice a day

Since switching he has been more satisfied and has had a lot more energy and plays more and sleeps less now it is as if I have plugged him into a portable wireless charger.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM

1,201 posts, read 413,989 times
I feed raw, prey model grind. No grains, no vegetables, no fruit.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 3,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Mine has serious allergies to most meats and grains. Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Venison and Sweet Potato. 1/4 cup of dry and half a can of canned twice a day. Fresh vegetables for treats every time he comes inside from being out of the house which is constant sometimes.
In order to supplement his protein requirement give him boiled eggs they are super rich in protein and vitamins and dogs do not have the cholesterol concern we do even though my cardiologist says the hype about eggs is BS and they have known for years that they are actually much healthier for us then the govt will allow them to tell the public he worked on some lab study on eggs back after he graduated from med school his first job as a cardiologist was in a research lab that was studying the effects of foods on the heart and their study showed eggs to be safe and healthy and that chicken as less healthy then previously thought and the fda buried the study so they didn't have to reconsider the food pyramid or their recommendations. Also give him fresh fruit ot canned fruit packed in water not syrup.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM

22,505 posts, read 28,404,027 times
Every day, Pensive eats 3 pounds of meat, 2 cups of cooked grain, a handful of veggies, a small piece of fruit, a fish oil capsule, 1/2 teaspoon of bonemeal, and the occasional treat.

I could trade her in on a pet elephant and my pet food bill would go down.

The Genuine Little Princess has decided that she will only eat meat. She's 16 1/2 and has lost her appetite, so she gets whatever she will deign to eat. She eats maybe 3 ounces of meat daily.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 PM

122 posts, read 61,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Every day, Pensive eats 3 pounds of meat, 2 cups of cooked grain, a handful of veggies, a small piece of fruit, a fish oil capsule, 1/2 teaspoon of bonemeal, and the occasional treat.
How much does Pensive weigh now? Iím interested in the ratio of food weight to dog weight. I try to aim around 3%; but, the ratio could be much higher based on how active the dog is.

My Poodles are fed 80/10/10 PMR plus salmon oil capsules, Dasuquin, and digestive enzymes. One raw egg a couple of times a week.

My 55 lb boy eats a little over 1.5 lbs total. My 40 lb female eats 1 lb total.

I also use cut up Colby/Jack cheese sticks as training treats. Their treats always seem to end up in my mouth as I impersonate a human Pez dispenser. We train throughout the day, so they go through a lot of cheese sticks in a day too.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,723,480 times
OP I feed a lot like you. I am vegan and eat a lot of whole grains and legumes, potatoes and veggies. I feed my dog these, as well as cooked meat. I also give her a raw beef marrow soup bone (sliced femur) once a week or so, mainly to help keep her teeth clean, but she also gets the marrow.

I do give her a small amount of decent dry dog food in the morning, too, just in case there are any vitamins in the dry dog food that she would miss from eating the other foods I give her.

She is actually much healthier than she was when I was just feeding her dry dog food - and it was premium stuff. I don't ascribe to the no grain fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or