Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times

Advertisements

Anesthesia in the elderly (dogs and people) certainly has more complications. When my dog was 12, I stopped doing the annual dental cleanings. Unfortunately, she was one of those dogs that had terrible teeth. She did live until she was 18 but the poor dental issues caused her problems. She probably had some sort of root infection that caused a chronic sore under her eye for about 4 years. Her mouth was also in a lot of pain all the time and there was nothing I could do for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,207 times
ChristineVA, I completely understand and that's why since my dog was only 6 and healthy, I trusted that the vet would let me know if it was not a good idea, but he seemed to be all for it. Personally, I was not keen on knocking them out just for this, but my husband apparently was brainwashed by vet's walls covered with posters about dental disease. What I don't like, and I am just realizing now because of this tragedy, that the pre-screening lab work was labeled as a "Senior Profile." So, my question to this vet is, "Was my 6-yr old dog a senior?" If he was, then why would he allow this in the first place or why wouldn't he make it very clear and emphasize the anesthesia risk if he was a senior in the vet's eyes? They never once said about any risk. Maybe because I might hsve changed my mind if the made it clear. There was nothing wrong with my dog. He was in great health. Out of my 3, I would say he would live the longest. One thing I knew (which I have a lot of guilt) AND the vet knew, was that my little guy was fearful of vets, docs, nurses. He knew this from 2 other visits, one for annual shot and other for prescreen. My dog was so scared he let out his anal glands. So, why in the world would this vet say to me after he died that he could have had a heart attack? Really? Was he that petrified this time as last time, that the vet couldn't use his professional opinion/experience and say, "Hey, this dog is too nervous, we don't want to make him sick, call the owner and tell them to come get him. We're not going to do it." I don't know what went on over there. He told my husband "the techs" tried CPR on him, so, doc, where were you that whole time? Was he even in the room at any time? Was he in and out with other patients, where seconds counted? I am disgusted with the vet because of these things and I saw his note which is very sketchy, vague and brief. I'm having other vets look it over. I am also filing a complaint with the state and will try to request an investigation. Plus, see if he has any disciplinary actions. That will never bring my dog back, but maybe shake him up if there's shady stuff going on so that it won't happen to someone else. I will still be heartbroken.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I dont know about senior dogs, but I'm sure our dalmation was permanently brain damaged from teeth cleaning and anesthesia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs