U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times

Advertisements

What kind of charges should be filed against this vet and the man. At the very least the vet should be reported to a professional board and both should be charged with animal cruelty.

Anger after tattoo artist inks sedated dog | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM

12,402 posts, read 31,396,435 times
Cool! I wish the doggie a Quick recover tho from the Major operation he just had!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,740,335 times
people tattoo their dogs all the time for identification, they are wide awake when its done and while uncomfortable none ever seem traumatized by that...infact they seem to react less to the id tat than they do to a microchip injection.
this is only different in that it an image instead of a series of numbers.

NOW...I would NEVER anethatize a dog specifically to do a decorative tattoo...
BUT...the dog was already under sedation for a surgery and the ink was placed while the dog was in recovery from that, it wasn't anesthetized any longer specifically for it...recovery from anesthesia takes a little while..., and it was done under veterinary supervision...

cant say I agree or disagree with the practice, but I find something like ear cropping (a purely cosmetic surgery in which the animal is anesthetized specifically for it) to be MUCH more cruel than something like this...and ear cropping is not only perfectly legal but seems to be PREFERED in this country...I mean I got reamed out by someone for NOT having my Doberman cropped...

im also a tattood person and slept through 3 of my current 5 lol.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 AM

14,605 posts, read 8,422,178 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm a lot more P.O.ed about the fact that our local Humane Society tattooed the area just above my deaf Great Dane's hoo-hoo when I brought her in for spay surgery without my OK. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a pretty tattoo, but it was an ugly looking female symbol done in blue ink a la prison style. Every time she rolls over to get her belly rubbed, I'm reminded that she's a girl (duh). I have two tattoos myself that I spent months getting prepared and selecting a fine tattoo artist to make them beautiful. If the Humane Society insisted on tattooing my dog, I would have had my artist do a pretty tat, at least.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,010,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm a lot more P.O.ed about the fact that our local Humane Society tattooed the area just above my deaf Great Dane's hoo-hoo when I brought her in for spay surgery without my OK. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a pretty tattoo, but it was an ugly looking female symbol done in blue ink a la prison style. Every time she rolls over to get her belly rubbed, I'm reminded that she's a girl (duh). I have two tattoos myself that I spent months getting prepared and selecting a fine tattoo artist to make them beautiful. If the Humane Society insisted on tattooing my dog, I would have had my artist do a pretty tat, at least.
Hey Scooby. I see you're new here. Welcome! Have you posted a picture yet of your Dane? We'd love to see her.

I wouldn't d do that t to Bella but I agree with foxy. The dog was already under. It's ugly but I don't think it hurt the dog

Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM

12,402 posts, read 31,396,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is the National Symbol to let vets know she was already spayed. No biggie BUT tons of animals get lost end up with people who want to get dog fixed. Before the tattoo lots were re opened! cause it was the only way to find out IF they been spayed already. So they come up with this tattoo. Be thankful she not a cat!! They get the tip of their ear cut off!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,528,021 times
I got no problem with it. The dog didn't feel it, and this guy has a very distinctive way to i.d. his dog going forward should it ever be stolen.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM

12,890 posts, read 15,383,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What kind of charges should be filed against this vet and the man. At the very least the vet should be reported to a professional board and both should be charged with animal cruelty.

"What kind of sick vet would let this happen"?
The same kind that neuters or spays your dog and then tattoos in their ears (that's gotta hurt later)
And they all actually do it while the "poor pup is drugged after surgery"
No biggie..I'm just wondering if you'll be able to see it all that well when his hair starts growing in..

Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM

12,890 posts, read 15,383,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

"What kind of sick vet would let this happen"?
The same kind (I wouldn't call them sick, though) that neuters or spays your dog and then tattoos in their ears (that's gotta hurt later)
And they all actually do it while the "poor pup is drugged after surgery"
No biggie..I'm just wondering if you'll be able to see it all that well when his hair starts growing in..

Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
It's not the tat which bothers me so much as the idea of a vet letting a non professional in the recovery area after serious surgery. What if the dog contracted a serious infection or complication after surgery? Just seems very unprofessional to me. But apparently I'm in the minority here. So whatever.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs