U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 PM

51,697 posts, read 13,037,142 times

Advertisements

Just want to let everyone know Millie,is back to normal as of Friday. Whatever she had ran it's course. I think it must of been something she ate outside. Right now she is snoring on the couch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
I'm glad your dog is feeling better. The basset went through a bout of this for quite a while today. He ate a lot of the pet store grass, but it didn't help. I gave him a Pepcid, and it stopped right away. I don't need to take him to the vet because he already saw the vet about his stomach issues a few times last year. Pepcid was advised.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Had to take Millie, to the vet yesterday because she started licking the floor and vomiting again Wednesday night. The vet took a couple of x-rays and thinks she has gastroenteritis. She gave Millie, a shot for nausea and diarrhea. The shot definitely helped since Millie has not vomited anymore. The vet also gave me a prescription for nausea and diarrhea but I haven't given her the diarrhea med yet because she hasn't had diarrhea and hasn't had a bowel movement since yesterday morning, and when she did go it wasn't diarrhea! If she doesn't go by 5 today I am going to call the vet back and ask her if I should still give her the med. She gave us 6 cans of a bland diet dog food which Millie, is eating in small amounts so that is a good sign. She doesn't want to go for walks though and has been lying on the couch...poor girl. Hope she will be okay soon.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM

The basset had that last year. He was put on antibiotics, given a shot for nausea and put on bland canned food. His digestive system has been very delicate ever since then. He does better on the canned food. It was killing our budget. We're having some success with part dry and part canned.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The basset had that last year. He was put on antibiotics, given a shot for nausea and put on bland canned food. His digestive system has been very delicate ever since then. He does better on the canned food. It was killing our budget. We're having some success with part dry and part canned.
We give Millie, part dry and part canned too. The vet called a little while ago and said Millie, has hookworms so got to go pick up the prescription later.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM

Millie had to go back to the vet again tonight because she started licking the floors again and the pepcid the vet said to give her wasn't helping. The vet gave her a shot for nausea but it hasn't t helped this time. Will call in the morning and this time I am going to ask that she do some blood work to see what the heck is going on.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,537,222 times
I'm so sorry that Millie is having this ongoing nausea and stomach upset. Really hoping the vet can help. We still don't know what is behind our oldest dog's licking and vomiting. Vets have never been able to give us answers. We give her famotadine about 45 minutes before she eats her dinner every day. Every time I've tried to stop the famotadine, after a while without it the licking and vomiting recurs. The famotadine is about 95% effective at preventing her episodes. Runswithscissors' post gave me a lot to think about. I have occasionally come across threads here about dogs with similar issues, but my vets seem so stumped by my dog's problem.

Thank you for keeping us updated on Millie. I have been thinking of her.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM

I hope Millie feels better soon.

K9, have you tried a bland canned food? We ran out a few weeks ago, and I fed all dry for a week. His licking increased dramatically. Once I got some canned in the house to mix with his dry, the licking subsided. He has a super sensitive stomach that's getting much worse with age. His allergies are getting worse too. I wish we could afford to feed him all canned, but it's a fortune. The vet doesn't feel a cooked diet would provide him with proper nutrients, and his stomach is too sensitive for supplements.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,537,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I hope Millie feels better soon.

K9, have you tried a bland canned food? We ran out a few weeks ago, and I fed all dry for a week. His licking increased dramatically. Once I got some canned in the house to mix with his dry, the licking subsided. He has a super sensitive stomach that's getting much worse with age. His allergies are getting worse too. I wish we could afford to feed him all canned, but it's a fortune. The vet doesn't feel a cooked diet would provide him with proper nutrients, and his stomach is too sensitive for supplements.
I have not tried bland canned. Please remind me what kind your basset does well with, I can't remember if you mentioned the brand.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 PM

We're feeding him the Natural Balance limited ingredient venison and sweet potato. He gets a half a can in the AM and the other half in the PM along with the dry version of the same brand. If I could afford it, he'd be eating all canned.

I tried this after creating thread (below) complaining about how expensive the bland prescription Hills I/D brand cost and he seemed to be allergic to it. Everyone helped brainstorm to come up with something that wouldn't blow our budget. We have been doing this for five months and it's working.

Best dog food for sensitive digestion and allergies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or