U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times

Advertisements

I want to get a dog for my kiddos and looking at a mini doodle. I have been getting several mixed reviews on Goldendoodles. I am interested in a mini doodle because of the size and that they don't shed. I have read and heard that golden retrievers are great with kids and combining with a poodle is the best of both worlds. I have a great dog for my kids that doesn't shed. I have heard they are HYPER. I understand that all dogs can by hyper but with this breed, is it more than other breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
yes, DOODLES in general are hyper until about 3 years old
also whoever told you they were hypoallergenic is lying, many doodles of all types end up in shelters for THAT reason, they ere sold a hypoallergenic dog, only to find out they were allergic to it.
when you MIX breeds you don't get a set absolute every time, some puppies could have coats like 1 parent, some with coats like the other, but MOST have something in between and Only the ones with coats EXACTLY like the poodle parent (some get te poodle curls and yet still shed) are LOW allergen (I know plenty of people allergic to pure poodles, its not the fur its the dander nd saliva...

2: these are MUTTS and no breeder worth your money will breed them...people breeding them are unscrupulous.
the doodle project started as a method of breeding hypoallergenic guide dogs that didn't have the upkeep or tendency to nervousness of the standard poodle...the project was ditched when even multiple generational (doodle to doodle) puppies were still found to NOT be hypoallergenic.
however by then the fad had become popular with onney grubbers...and then with the "smaller is better" fad came the MINI doodle breeders (even worse)

First dog breeder of Labradoodle puppies regrets dog breed | Global Animal

either RESCUE one...theres thousands in rescues and shelters across the usa desperate for homes because their unscrupulous breeders refuse to take back their mistakes.
or go with a PURE BRED dog from a GOOD breeder who has background checks, shows/titles, health tests (and no this doesn't mean "my vet says hes healthy" and has strict contracts for spay/neuter and taking back the dog at any point in its life if you cannot keep it for any reason...

please do your homework and DONT fall for the doodle scam...
by all means Rescue one with your eyes open...(ie most doodles are NOT hypoallergenic) but don't support some unscrupulous person ready to tell you whatever you want to hear about their high priced MUTTS!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Mini?

Something new to me.

I would NOT promote a MINI Labrador STANDARD POODLE mix.

They are not supposed to be MINI.

Even our LABS are giant compared to the actual standard in the UK, for example.

Any time they fool around with size, the genetics and health are in question IMO. Just like ALBINO and LUTINO birds always have problems. But people love the COLOR.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times
If you want a non-shedding dog that is good with kids, head down to your local shelter, with the whole family, and look at any of the smaller long haired dogs. They are likely to be non-shedding (shelter staff can guide you), and you are sure to find one that is good with kids (again, shelter staff can help point you in the right direction). Remember that any non-shedding dog will need regular clipping and grooming.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM

16,648 posts, read 26,615,464 times
A friend of mine has a mini-Goldendoodle. He's the cutest, sweetest little dude I know. He's just 14 pounds (fully grown; he's almost 3 years old) with a HUGE personality. He's not hyper at all (hasn't been in the year that I've known him) and he's definitely a snuggler, which I love about him. Of course, he's the only mini-Goldendoodle that I know, so he might not be indicative of all of them.

On the other hand, the Labradoodle that I know -- not a mini; and Lab instead of Golden -- is a hyper mess sometimes.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM

22,505 posts, read 28,404,027 times
OP, please do not support the puppy mills. Those are not nice people. Doodles are mutts. If you want a mutt, go to the pound and save a life.

No dog is non-shedding. Poodles shed, it's just that the shed hair makes mats in the coat instead of shag on your carpet.

Doodle parents are the lowest possible quality, so you have an increased chance of getting a dog with genetic issues. The breeders of quality, health checked pedigreed dogs go to great lengths to keep their dogs out of the hands of doodle breeders. Doodle breeders use low quality animals, or stolen dogs, or dogs that aren't even the breed that they are claiming it to be.

For the price of a mongrel doodle, you could buy a well bred, pet quality miniature poodle from a dedicated hobby poodle fancier. You would get a dog with multiple generations of health testing behind it and dog with generations of proven temperament and brains.

Or, if you like the Golden look but want small, take a look at the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. Those are great dogs.

All show breeders have the occasional puppy that isn't going to grow up to be a big winner in the show ring. Those pups are sold to pet homes, obedience homes, and agility homes, where the pup will excel.

Show breeders sometime place their retired show dogs in pet homes. Those are healthy, socialized dogs with excellent temperament.

If you don't care whether a dog is pedigreed, then go to the pound and pick a dog that shows joy when it sees you. Let your children sit with it. Ask the shelter workers about it. Take it for a walk. See if the lighting bolt strikes you, and if it does, take that dog home with you.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,953,481 times
Each dog is an individual. Since they aren't a breed, these goldendoodles can be hard to predict. That however, doesn't mean you can't get one that is a great dog. In spite of what some folks say, you can get a wonderful mutt from anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs