Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:28 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,675 times

Advertisements

I wanted to make a list of types of aggressive dogs, without using any specific breeds. But I only came up with a few,

1)The Hungry Dog, A dog who is hungry has the potential of being very aggressive. Their willing to fight for food and they are just grumpy in general.
2)The Dog With No Friends, A dog who has not been properly socialized does not have the skills to act properly and will more likely behave in an aggressive manner then a dog who has been socialized.
3)The Fearful Dog, When a dog has been abused or is in unfamiliar surroundings, they are more likely to be an aggressive dog.

How about some suggestions that I can put on the list of things that will make a dog aggressive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
the MOST dangerous dog is the UNCONFIDENT dog
it kina of crosses over with fearful and is a result of a lack of socialization, a lack os training, a lack of basic understanding of dogs body language on the half of the owner, all of which to combine a dog who doesn't know HOW its supposed to react and thus OVER-reacts to everything.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Breeds traditionally bred for fighting. You don't reverse generations of behavior by being a good pet owner of the latest generation. It's like me trying to train my rat terrier mix to ignore squirrels, not gonna happen.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
Back to NE, that actually depends on the TYEP of aggression being talked about.
if were talking dog on do aggression I agree...
but fighting dogs were never meant to be HUMAN aggressive...

Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Our Treeing Walker Coonhounds are VERY aggressive........this surprises me, I always thought of the lazy old hound dog....was I every wrong.

They will hunt, chase and kill a coyote and fight with a bear until they tree it.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
When I worked with the behaviorist with Jazz years ago he said aggression is fear based, stop and think about it even the food related aggression as the dog is afraid he will not get the food, unconfident once again is fear,even protective is fear based. Dogs do not have to be undersocialized or abused to have fear issues as Jazz was a shy puppy but went to puppy classes, did day care that was supervised by the guy that did her puppy classes, played at a dog park was around dogs all the time and loved her dog friends and did great with them her whole life. When she hit 2 she started becoming reactive and aggressive to dogs she had not known when she was a puppy. She had been jumped a few times by reactive dogs and that tended to set her back but I would get her over it but I think that along with what was probably a genetic based shyness made her anxious so yes fearful of a new dog so her mottos was jump it before it can jump you. She had an inhibited bite as did the dogs she got into it with so there were never any injuries. Jazz was a cattle dog X border collie so I am sure her genetic material was saying take control but it wa saying it to a coward so aggression was the way to take control As far as socialization I could not have done any more and to be honest people pissed me off when they said you should have socialized your dog so do not assume a reactive dog is undersocialized nor that a shy dog is an abused dog as that is not always the case.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I wanted to make a list of types of aggressive dogs, without using any specific breeds. But I only came up with a few,

1)The Hungry Dog, A dog who is hungry has the potential of being very aggressive. Their willing to fight for food and they are just grumpy in general.
2)The Dog With No Friends, A dog who has not been properly socialized does not have the skills to act properly and will more likely behave in an aggressive manner then a dog who has been socialized.
3)The Fearful Dog, When a dog has been abused or is in unfamiliar surroundings, they are more likely to be an aggressive dog.

How about some suggestions that I can put on the list of things that will make a dog aggressive?
To whom are you sending the list? Some dogs can't read!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Puppies NOT corrected can grow up to be BITTERS! Owners that also Allow dogs to get away with Not moving when asked off bed chair etc. Can turn very Aggressive. Food Protectors!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
To whom are you sending the list? Some dogs can't read!
lol. no specific dog. But the fact that dogs can't read is a very good reason why breeding bans and restrictions won't work.

I do some advocating and regardless of specific breed, and I know due to genetics some are more prone to some behaviors then others, but I wanted to show how any dog, can behave in an aggressive manner if one or more of the outside factors were present.. like the dog being fearful or starving.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Breeds traditionally bred for fighting. You don't reverse generations of behavior by being a good pet owner of the latest generation. It's like me trying to train my rat terrier mix to ignore squirrels, not gonna happen.
You are saying the breeds traditionally bred for fighting are the most aggressive dogs? Do you know how many breeds were bred for fighting/killing? Yes, your rat terrier was originally bred to find and kill, so you think your rat terrier is an aggressive dog?

How many generations do you think it took to create each specific breed made for hunting, following scent and so forth. It takes less then a year to create a new generation. You don't think aggression, following scent and so forth, could be bred out in a few generations?

If you read my post, I was not asking for breed specific. There is so much controversial data regarding genetics and behavior, so many variations, I was not trying to start a debate about breeds. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs