U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM

22,563 posts, read 16,717,234 times

Advertisements

I'm one of the first people who will be standing here telling you that there is no fricken excuse to dump your pet off.....but even I can see that this wasn't done out of malice. They truly did not feel they had any other recourse.

It's also nice to see the rare rescue who can put their militant beliefs aside, and find empathy within them, enough to realize that this couple really didn't want to give up their dog.

It happens, people. Circumstances can happen, and sometimes, yes, people feel that they have no other choice. If you take a look around, you will see all kinds of "pet charities" for people like this, BECAUSE it happens.

They thought they were doing the best for their dog. Why don't we save our righteous indignation for the people who truly deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,705,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Sadly though, because of this so called "heartwarming" story, it will invite more people to abandon their pets.
OR...It could bring much needed national media coverage to the plight of the eldery on fixed income with aging pets which could include information on where to get assistance in the event of an emergency.

Many city/county shelters already have after hours drop boxes and have for many years simply because animal control recognizes the benefit of dogs being turned in rather than turned loose. Are people not aware of this???

I do absolutely agree its best for the dog to be back with his owners.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
In my town IF you take an animal into the Humane Soc YOU PAY! $20-$30 IF this couple couldn't afford that to have their vet put the dog to sleep they couldn't afford to leave him. Anyone see the movie DUKE? Think about it!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 PM

6,144 posts, read 12,539,791 times
Moderator cut: snip

Why don't we let everyone have his or his own opinion, rather than telling people what they "should" feel if it doesn't agree with yours?

No one said it was malicious did they? Whatever the circumstance, those people did indeed abandon their elderly dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
OR...It could bring much needed national media coverage to the plight of the eldery on fixed income with aging pets which could include information on where to get assistance in the event of an emergency.

Many city/county shelters already have after hours drop boxes and have for many years simply because animal control recognizes the benefit of dogs being turned in rather than turned loose. Are people not aware of this???

I do absolutely agree its best for the dog to be back with his owners.
Yes, hopefully, that too. Especially the part about getting the word out that there ARE places to turn to for help, instead of doing what they did.

But you know there are going to be people who see how this turned out who decide that it will be okay for them to do the same thing, since this dog ended up "fine". I think this, every time a "heartwarming" rescue goes viral. Perhaps if all these "heartwarming" stories weren't plastered all over the internet all the time, fewer people would be dumping their pets. Perhaps not, but I can't help thinking, people who dump their pets comfort themselves over stories like this, when they do it.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-16-2014 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: off topic/argumentative

Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 AM

6,475 posts, read 9,889,825 times
A rescue I volunteer with has worked with a few senior adopters in the same type of situation. When the adopters could no longer afford to keep the pet, they brought the dogs back to us. In these instances, the dogs themselves, like the one in this thread, were not adoptable due to age and health. So, in order to keep the dogs in their homes and not take up any foster space, we made the adopters permanent fosters. By doing this, we were able to take care of the dogs' medical needs, and all the fosters did was supply the food and home. Adopters (now fosters) got to keep their beloved pet, and the pets had their medical needs met. Win/win.

A former foster of mine will be coming back to me this year because the owner may need to go into assisted living and cannot take her dog with her. So, the owner is forced into a corner and has to give up her dog. The dog will come back to me. She is adoptable, but only to a certain segment of the population, female-only households. Since my dogs are elderly themselves, if one of them dies before the foster dog gets adopted, she'll stay with me permanently.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM

857 posts, read 1,769,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
A rescue I volunteer with has worked with a few senior adopters in the same type of situation. When the adopters could no longer afford to keep the pet, they brought the dogs back to us. In these instances, the dogs themselves, like the one in this thread, were not adoptable due to age and health. So, in order to keep the dogs in their homes and not take up any foster space, we made the adopters permanent fosters. By doing this, we were able to take care of the dogs' medical needs, and all the fosters did was supply the food and home. Adopters (now fosters) got to keep their beloved pet, and the pets had their medical needs met. Win/win.

A former foster of mine will be coming back to me this year because the owner may need to go into assisted living and cannot take her dog with her. So, the owner is forced into a corner and has to give up her dog. The dog will come back to me. She is adoptable, but only to a certain segment of the population, female-only households. Since my dogs are elderly themselves, if one of them dies before the foster dog gets adopted, she'll stay with me permanently.

Many elderly are not informed of their options.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 AM

6,475 posts, read 9,889,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Very true. I suspect this is the crux behind this story.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,705,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
I agree and people would be surprised to know just how many people in general aren't aware of the resources that may be available in a given situation. Considering that significantly fewer elderly have access to the internet their problems in life are generally compounded especially in todays society that basically operates with the assumption that people are online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or