Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are not, at this point in your life, qualified to be a dog breeder.
How do you know that? She asked a question whose answer is not known by many breeders. This thread is not about the ethics of breeding, nor should you be judging her competence as a dog breeder based on her post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Actually those who ask questions tend to be most knowledgeable about things!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How do you know that? She asked a question whose answer is not known by many breeders. This thread is not about the ethics of breeding, nor should you be judging her competence as a dog breeder based on her post.
Wrong. Any reputable breeder will know these things. I have never known a breeder of dogs who didn't know this, and I've known many.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
dale cooper is correct...

the mother ate the pup because of one of the following reasons
1: mother was too young and doesn't have a clue
2: mother has a nutritional deficiency (typically protein) and had to consume a pup in order to maintain enough energy to last through labor
3: the puppy was still born (dead at birth) the mother ws simply cleaning the nest
4: the puppy had some kind of birth defect (visable or not) and the mother culled it to keep the rest of the litter safe
5: the mother was highly stressed

its not "NORMAL" but its not unheard of either, unfortunately however ALL the reasons a mother dog would have to cull a puppy in alitter would suggest the human in charge of the situation is not prepared for what breeding dogs means, what could arise during pregnancy and labor or the risks involved...
all of which suggest that the reaserch was not done and the op should not be breeding dogs.

however im going to refrain from adding ANYTHING more to the thread.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
It's connected to the foul smell from underneath the bridge
I know what you said.

Clever.

Quote:
"She" is a he.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 03-16-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 02:07 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
.......... She asked a question whose answer is not known by many breeders....... .
Every reputable, ethical, hobby dog fancier already knows the answer to that question before they breed a litter. Most have an experienced mentor and all of them study, study study, belong to show dog lists, read, ask questions, go to dog shows, consult with their veterinarian, and besides consulting with the breeder they got the female from, they have lengthy consultation with the owner of the stud dog chosen.

You don't just get to chose any male you want. The dog's owner is going to interview you, check the health testing of the female, pour over pedigrees with you, and make darn good and sure you know how to whelp the litter and how to safely place the pups in good homes.

The breeders of both your female and the male chosen will be helping you to place the puppies properly. The breeder you got your female from will be on speed dial to talk you through any difficulties and answer any questions.

I know thousands and thousands of serious dog fanciers in countries all over the world and it is thus with every single one of them. Nobody breeds a litter without having a clue nor waiting until there is a problem to try to figure out how to do it.

There are constant discussions in forums about unusual problems or new health issues. I just received emails from Britain about new heart health studies. There is a mega grape vine in dog breeding. Information is widely shared.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
cant rep ya again yet oregon

Old 03-16-2014, 02:49 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Every reputable, ethical, hobby dog fancier already knows the answer to that question before they breed a litter. Most have an experienced mentor and all of them study, study study, belong to show dog lists, read, ask questions, go to dog shows, consult with their veterinarian, and besides consulting with the breeder they got the female from, they have lengthy consultation with the owner of the stud dog chosen.

You don't just get to chose any male you want. The dog's owner is going to interview you, check the health testing of the female, pour over pedigrees with you, and make darn good and sure you know how to whelp the litter and how to safely place the pups in good homes.

The breeders of both your female and the male chosen will be helping you to place the puppies properly. The breeder you got your female from will be on speed dial to talk you through any difficulties and answer any questions.

I know thousands and thousands of serious dog fanciers in countries all over the world and it is thus with every single one of them. Nobody breeds a litter without having a clue nor waiting until there is a problem to try to figure out how to do it.

There are constant discussions in forums about unusual problems or new health issues. I just received emails from Britain about new heart health studies. There is a mega grape vine in dog breeding. Information is widely shared.
Incorrect. You are acting like the usual high and mighty show breeder and judging Lisa's actions because Lisa asked a simple question. What makes you the judge and jury of who a good breeder is? And I bet you also justify selling your puppies for $1500+, claiming you make no money off them; that it's all about "what's best for the breed." And based on your judgmental response, what will Lisa likely do the next time Lisa has a question? Not ask. There are good breeders and bad breeders. You don't know this person. None of us know it all. I've been around show dogs with the personality of an ice cube. But the dog has the perfect scissors bite! Conformation isn't everything. My deaf Great Dane girl is proof positive of that

Old 03-16-2014, 02:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
And based on your judgmental response, what will Lisa likely do the next time Lisa has a question? Not ask.
Good.

The thread title "Dog Ate Puppy" doesn't strike you as being a bit juvenile for someone who purports to be a 54-year old MALE from Connecticut?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:05 PM

168 posts, read 370,139 times
I wanted to rep so many posts in here, but unable to give more rep.

To the OP: I love puppies! There is nothing I would love more than breeding dogs and having puppies in the house! However, I am responsible enough to know that I am not ready, nor do I know enough, to breed any animal other than hamsters. :-) Besides that, there are so many unwanted dogs and cats in the world already. I'd rather give one of them a new home (if I had room) rather than add to the supply.

If this was an accident, because I know accidents do happen, please PLEASE get your dogs fixed!! It's in the best interest of your animals and any future offspring that would end up in shelters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs