U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 AM

26,314 posts, read 24,409,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
In our dog park there is almost always someone there who will tell the owner of an aggressive dog to take his dog and himself and LEAVE the park. I have not seen anyone argue the point as the rest of the dog owners there are supportive of the action.
that is wonderful, people need to start sticking together for our rights, be it irresponsible dog owners, or otherwise.

Boy, I hate it when I see people allowing their dogs to do their jobs all over the property of others and refuse to clean it up, or let their dogs run loose, how insane, how utterly unconcerned they are for anyone else.

good for your community!

Now I wish people would stop with the retractable leashes when they go to the vets...it is extremely annoying.

but that is another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 AM

13,779 posts, read 18,681,251 times
yep dog parks are no good but some regular parks have the same problem . I just posted about this regular park I go too and they are just as bad there .

Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,571,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Hi all,

I'm sure you have has a million similar questions but I am new to dog ownership and could use advice on how to handle a situation. Thank you.

I have a new dog - he is a lab / german shepherd mix (or so we think - he was a rescue dog). He is very sweet and gentle by nature and a little shy but likes going out on walks and is just getting used to being in the company of other dogs. He is about 4 months old and was a rescue pup who was very timid and scared at first but is much more confident now. He's a large pup - he looks like a medium sized dog.

Today I decided to take him for the first time to my local wooded dog park with a friend.
I kept him on a very long retractable leash, but most dogs in the park are unleashed. Suddenly out of nowhere two dogs ran aggressively at my dog - one of them a medium- large what looked like some kind of lab mix and the other one of those tiny aggressive things - it might have been a chihuahua something like that. They both ran straight at him baring their teeth, the small one growling madly and ran underneath my dog snapping at him.

So basically my dog was trying to fend off two dogs, one above him and one below. There was no biting involved, just very aggressive behaviour from the other dogs.
The owners came over and my friend exploded at them saying if the dogs could not respond to voice commands they should be leashed. There was no apology just a response of 'this is an unleashed dog park' and that was it.

This dog park is 5 minutes walk from my house and I'd like to be able to use it without my dog being attacked. What is the protocol for situations like this? Should I just accept if I go to the dog park, my dog will have to put up with this (of course I know it will happen) but shouldn't the owners at least be apologetic if it happens? Or are they all within their rights to have their dogs threaten other dogs without apology?

As my dog is shy by nature I think more incidents like this could make him worse.

Thanks in advance.
The best solution and safest for your dog is to NOT go to dog parks. They are very often a disaster waiting to happen. Please check out this link: http://leerburg.com/pdf/dogparks.pdf .

And if you do continue going: http://leerburg.com/pdf/howtobreakupdogfight.pdf .

And, btw, you should never have a dog on leash (and even a collar can be risky) in a dog park. In fact, it's usually against the rules of the dog park. And you are absolutely correct that a bad experience can cause problems, problems such as your dog becoming dog aggressive for example.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 AM

13,751 posts, read 14,582,956 times
I don't take my dog to dog parks.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 PM

513 posts, read 595,805 times
I brought my Saint Bernard puppy to a dog park for the first time last week. She had a ball. All the dogs got along and it seemed if a dog didnt like another they just stayed away. She loves others, even dogs and is perfectly fine allowing others to be dominant. A 3 month old GSD who was around 20 something lbs kept tackling her and she played along "falling" and allowing the smaller dog to pin her (she is nearly 90 lbs).

I would go when that owner is not there. I have heard negative and positive things. All depends on the owner. Maybe if you talk to other owners and see their thoughts you could all say something about their dogs misbehavior.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:04 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Adorable puppy! I'm not seeing German Shepherd in that Lab mix.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,644,062 times
I am not a fan of dog parks because of the owners, not the dogs! Your example is a prime example of a problem owner - "hey it's legal" is not the same thing as being right.

Just throwing this out there... I adopted mine (Tuck) at about 4 months from a rescue, and at about 8-10 months, the good wife suggested a second dog for social needs/socialization requirements. I took him to the shelter and he played with 10-12 dogs, but had a decided preference for Taffy, so she came home with us.

Tuck is a Shar Pei mix, and a bit of a couch potatoe, Taffy is a site hound terrier mix (I think) and is lightning in a bottle, but they both love, love, love each other, so they have dog interaction all day long - unless Tuck takes a nap, then Taffy is on her own!

Two dogs are more work, more space, more cost, but it also has a lot of benefits. No dog parks required, if you are tied up, they keep each other company, they reinforce training and house rules with each other, and in general seem better adjusted than a single dog in a household.

It may be an option for you to think about.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 AM

607 posts, read 1,164,004 times
Many of our local dog parks are part of the local park district and as such, there are park rangers on patrol at all times. Don't know if this is the case with you, but I would definitely tell one, if possible. I work for my local park district and although we don't have any dog parks in our district, our rangers will fine the living **** out of ya if your dogs are unleashed. They are very aggressive with this policy, as they should be. Unfortunately, just as many people shouldn't have kids, there are also many who shouldn't have dogs.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,082 times
I have a trainer whom I walk my dog with. There's a lot of socialization without the risk of being in a dog park with unsocialized dogs. His youngest is only 5 months. I go too because it's a training session for me too. My dog loves to walk with the pack, which is always different by a couple of dogs. The trainer walks as many as a dozen at a time.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Having been a regular at a dog park for years now I will say there are some dogs that do not belong at dog parks. I am not just talking about aggressive dogs but the very shy dogs as yes a shy dog will be the target of many dogs that are not what I call agressive dogs. I hate it when I see people drag a dog that clearly with body language is screaming I do not want to go in there in there Sometimes a dog just is not capable of doing what you want to do with it and it is best to accept that and find something else to do with the dog that you both enjoy. I have always said dog parks are not to socialize a dog but instead are for well socialized dogs. If you want to socialize a dog do so with nice dogs that belong to friends as it will be a more positive experience for them and maybe if they then are not so shy try a dog park.Take dog classes be they obedience, Rally, flyball,agility to get your dog use to being around others just don't toss them into a dog park until they are socialized and not afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or