U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM

811 posts, read 1,190,221 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article about some dogs being poisoned in a park in London. That is awful enough but what is worse is that one of the dogs mentioned is something called a Bull-Lurcher. I have never heard of that combination so looked it up and it is a monster, a Frankenstein-dog. A Lurcher is a sighthound and of course the bull part is Pit-Bull (supposed to be illegal in the UK) and this crossbreed is being used illegally to hunt wildlife, deer, badgers, etc. What a terrible thing to do to dogs. I hate all these so called designer dogs, a mutt by any other name, but this goes way beyond that, a very fast, powerful dog and of course the Pit-Bull will be blamed for everything that goes wrong, and it will... I am so disgusted by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
It's almost like breeding puggles - pugs which often have problems breathing w/ a beagle which are bred to hunt - not a good combination (alth. there are some nice ones out there). Sometimes these breeders dont think of the big picture.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
BTH a Lurcher is a popular mix breed dog in England and Ireland.

Lurcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,275,426 times
Bull-lurchers don't look like "Frankenstein" dogs to me. They're basically just mutts. I don't see how they'd have breathing problems. I don't really like that mutts are being bred, since similar combinations could probably be found in pounds, but I don't see how owning one is somehow worse than owning any other type of designer cross, and certainly, the dogs look pretty normal.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 AM

621 posts, read 1,038,227 times
I did a lot of reading up on Lurchers and was very surprised to learn of their history. They are not a breed, but crosses of different working types usually with a terrier or collie. They are bred for a purpose and it's not random. Those dogs are highly regarded by the hunters and farmers and seem to be well loved pets and companions to boot.

Dogs bred with a plan in mind, and a purpose to fulfill can't be a bad thing. At least not in my mind. Randomly bred, no rhyme or reason breedings... now that's a different can of worms.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Not all hunting of wildlife with dogs is illegal in England.....it is regulated...just as it is in the USA.

I bet those dogs could really be useful in the right circumstance.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 AM

811 posts, read 1,190,221 times
There is nothing wrong with Lurchers. I have met quite a few in my time and they are generally good natured dogs, just like Greyhounds. There is nothing wrong with Pit-bulls IMO. It is the fact that these dogs are being bred together and the result is you have very fast powerful dogs. (The breathing problems were described for Puggles, not Bull-Lurchers). My objection is because of the reason some of these owners are breeding them. They are not being bred for being cute.

Badger baiting has been outlawed since 1835

The horrific dogs bred to kill badgers | UK | News | Daily Express

https://www.gov.uk/hunting-and-the-law

When you get a breed like this there are unfortunately always idiots who will use them as a killing machine. These dogs can easily bring down deer. What they are doing with them is illegal and cruel.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
There is nothing wrong with Lurchers. I have met quite a few in my time and they are generally good natured dogs, just like Greyhounds. There is nothing wrong with Pit-bulls IMO. It is the fact that these dogs are being bred together and the result is you have very fast powerful dogs. (The breathing problems were described for Puggles, not Bull-Lurchers). My objection is because of the reason some of these owners are breeding them. They are not being bred for being cute.

Badger baiting has been outlawed since 1835

The horrific dogs bred to kill badgers | UK | News | Daily Express

https://www.gov.uk/hunting-and-the-law

When you get a breed like this there are unfortunately always idiots who will use them as a killing machine. These dogs can easily bring down deer. What they are doing with them is illegal and cruel.
Our hounds were not breed to be cute.....they are breed to hunt and kill.....they do a great job of it too.

Would they chase and kill deer......yes.

That is why they are trained not to chase deer......none of my four will go near a deer....they know better.

What a dog will chase and kill is in the hands of the handler.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,990,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
...Pit-Bull (supposed to be illegal in the UK)...
I just searched and found the following about certain dog breeds banned in the UK...

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

Why were they banned?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
1: the lurcher is already a mixed breed, highly prized for hunting, and while some human beings use these ogs for ILLEGAL hunting (hunting with dogs IS legal under many circumstances ansd at certain imes of the year just like in the USA) that's a HUMAN issue not a breed issue
2: they are not bred to pitbulls, they are bred to Staffordshire bull terriers (a completely different breed form the same breed group (bull and terriers) and sometimes staffy x mastifs
3: they are bred for a purpose, they are bred as HUNTING dogs...I have no problem mixing breeds to create a better dog for a certain purpose (I do have a big problem mixing breeds just because there "cute" or "in" blah blah blah)
4: bull-hounds (pits x greyhounds) are quite common in many parts of the usa, mixing in sighthound into hog dogs (typically bully x mastiff or pure bully) to bring in some extra speed and agility while keeping the power and strength required for hog hunting....

again im not for purposely mixing breeds just for froo froos, or because its the in thing or because they can get a lot of money (most breeding these bull-lurchers (and in the usa grey x bulls) o not sell them for high prices as pups, most are bred for personal use or for hunting frineds and family, though they can fetch BIG prices once trained and proven as working dogs)

but to mix a breed to better a breed for a specific job...im not against...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs