U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM

26,319 posts, read 24,422,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Not sure how big your dog is, but if you google images of retractable leash injury, you will never use one for a big strong dog again. (warning, the pictures will be graphic) I dislike and don't use them for other reasons, but this is a good thing to be aware of.
yeah, I heard about that, awful...I have a friend who has one, and when she wants to pull her dog back, she gathers up the leash b/c she is afraid of using the retractable, and honestly I don't blame her, but she will not use anything else, and she talks about going to the vet and how all the other ladie's dogs like to play with her dog...well, all it will take is one person, and they will surely give her a what for.

I've heard those retractables can really slice a dog up? Awful....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM

453 posts, read 1,323,027 times
I hate retractable leashes and find most people who use them to be irresponsible with them. And they're dangerous.

If you frequent an area that your dog can run, get a training lead or a long lunge line. I have a 30' line and can maintain control over my dog with it.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM

I just went in to the web sites about them, awful, didn't know they were that dangerous, but yes, you are right....agree.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 12,898,157 times
We've used a retractable leash on the two dogs we've had and have had no problems at all with them. No control? Of course our dogs are small, first was a peek a poo and we now have a chihuahua, but if they started to go where we didn't want them to, just push the button to stop the leash. No problem. Dog stops and isn't hurt. Haven't needed one in a year or so. Annie (the chihuahua) stays in our yard while we're on the porch, with no leash.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,993,392 times
I'm not allowed to use ours anymore. Not sure why I thought I needed it, the regular ones work for us anyway.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM

13,140 posts, read 20,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We've used a retractable leash on the two dogs we've had and have had no problems at all with them. No control? Of course our dogs are small, first was a peek a poo and we now have a chihuahua, but if they started to go where we didn't want them to, just push the button to stop the leash. No problem. Dog stops and isn't hurt. Haven't needed one in a year or so. Annie (the chihuahua) stays in our yard while we're on the porch, with no leash.
My problem with the retractables was the small dogs who, while easily controlled by one, would wrap them around my own dogs' legs if we met up while walking. I absolutely hate them.

I've stopped walking our dogs in the neighborhood, largely because of the people with those leashes. Fortunately, I have a place I can take my dogs without needing a leash at all.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 PM

well, personally I think they should be outlawed, they are dangerous, and also helps dog owners become reckless with them, like at the vets....it's wrong and one day there will be a dog fight, or some person's dog gets sick b/c they don't contain they're dog, and then it is everyone else's fault.
But seriously, go in and do some research and just see how dangerous they can be.....not that it will happen to everyone....but geeze, why take the chance, keep your dog close when you go to the vets, it's not a dog park for goodness sakes.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM

5,566 posts, read 7,475,910 times
In Los Angeles, they are against the law, but many use them any way.
The law reads a maximum six foot leash must be used.
Bob.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 PM

1,401 posts, read 840,441 times
I've never liked retractable leashes. My dog is fear-reactive, quite fearful of dogs he doesn't know, and I've lost count of the number of times someone has been approaching with a dog on a (retractable) lead, I've held my dog back and shouted out a warning not to let their dog get too close since mine could bite, yet the owner still lets the dog go the full length of the lead...it just seems to keep uncoiling...right up to mine. And then they get upset if my dog tries to bite theirs.

The retractable leash is very often unpredictable because of the owner at the opposite end of it.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,815,293 times
I love mine! I have 10 acres in a rural area and a 25lbs dog with a high prey drive and not safe off leash. I have a small fenced area for off leash but I use my flexi every day for long walks. It gives him room to sniff around and have fun...there's a place for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs