U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM

12 posts, read 18,919 times

Advertisements

I have an eight year old Maltese. She is 10 lbs and healthy. Recently, she had a urinary tract infection which was treated with antibiotics.

About two months later, she was urinating more so I had x-rays done. She had one bladder stone which our vet removed without surgery. This is her first stone. Now the vet wants to place her on a special diet which I can only purchase at the vet place (Royal Canin Medi-Cal Urinary SO) which is costly. I asked if I can go with other brands that is available at the pet store. She is discouraging/scaring me with worse case scenarios if I don't feed her this food.

I am getting the stone analyzed and will know in three weeks which type of stone it is. In the meantime, does anyone know which brand of dog food is good for a dog that is/may be prone to bladder stones? I would like to get it at the pet food store and not at the vet where they charge a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:56 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xero42 View Post
I have an eight year old Maltese. She is 10 lbs and healthy. Recently, she had a urinary tract infection which was treated with antibiotics.

About two months later, she was urinating more so I had x-rays done. She had one bladder stone which our vet removed without surgery. This is her first stone. Now the vet wants to place her on a special diet which I can only purchase at the vet place (Royal Canin Medi-Cal Urinary SO) which is costly. I asked if I can go with other other brands that is available at the pet store. She is discouraging/scaring me with worse case scenarios if I don't feed her this food.

I am getting the stone analyzed and will know in three weeks which type of stone it is. In the meantime, does anyone know which brand of dog food is good for a dog that is/may be prone to bladder stones? I would like to get it at the pet food store and not at the vet where they charge a lot.
She's right. And NO, she's not "healthy" she has a recurring medical condition and will be possibly forever.

You should feed the food from the vet. It is formulated for that specific medical condition - prescription.

Vets aren't in the dog FOOD business, they're in the life saving business. And they eat LESS of that food than the cheaper ones that don't absorb enough nutrition so they eat double.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bladder_stone_(animal)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-22-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 03:49 PM

114 posts, read 134,837 times
I would either do a raw or a natural diet. most vets are not schooled in animal nutrition what they learn is sponsered by the pet food companys... in all odds if might do a double crash on you as its more money the vet gets for taking care of the new issues that crop up.

Double Life Dog Diet - Save Your Dog | Double Life Dog Diet - Make sure you're not putting your dog's life at risk...

Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 18,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
She's right. And NO, she's not "healthy" she has a recurring medical condition and will be possibly forever.

You should feed the food from the vet. It is formulated for that specific medical condition - prescription.

Vets aren't in the dog FOOD business, they're in the life saving business. And they eat LESS of that food than the cheaper ones that don't absorb enough nutrition so they eat double.

Try using a critical mind and doing some research before posting or don't bother responding to my post at all. I've done my research and I know that vets aren't versed in pet nutrition. They are getting their info from reps at pet food companies like Hills or Science Diet for their special diets. Don't you think that is biased? I know that special diets by Hills or Royal Canin don't have the best ingredients in them and there are stories of weight gain which causes other health issues. I was looking for input from other people that experienced this issue with their dog and their suggestions for high quality food.

I don't know why I bothered posting here, I'll check out pet forums instead.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,930,414 times
My dog has the same problems. When we first noticed a problem, she would have to go, then squat, then nothing would come out. She did this for months. Then one day, she had bright red bleeding and we 'freaked out' immediately taking her to the vet. Turns out she had bladder crystals which eventually turn to stones if not treated.

The vet prescribed the Urinary SO, so we do feed her the prescription Royal Canine diet. However since it's 75 dollars a pop, we stretch it to last 2 - 3 months which would equal the cost of a regular large bag at the grocery store. We supplement the Royal food with a natural diet to keep her urine at the correct pH balance and prevent stones/crystals from forming. I give her fruits and veggies (especially oranges) and lettuce as treats. Some say cranberry juice is helpful, however, my dog wouldn't go near it. Here is my natural vet recommended diet:

3 cups of a fiber (brown rice or oats or barley)
1 cup of meat (hamburger, sausage, chicken, or turkey)
1 cup of a vegetable (carrot, broccoli, or spinach usually).
three Tums for the calcium supplement.
Two tablespoons of a fat (either vegetable oil or olive oil).
Salt to season and to get the dog to drink more water to flush out her bladder.

The above recipe lasts a week, we feed her twice a day, about two cups. We also have a poodle who shares the same diet.

So far, her stones/crystals have not returned and her flow is regular. We do have a week here or there where we give more of the SO to give her bladder an extra boost, but we stretch the food to last three months.

Every dog is different, and once you find out exactly what kind of stones your dog has, you can maybe supplement and stretch the expensive food. It has something to do with the pH balance in the bladder. I searched for alternatives having done hours of research, and it's been almost two years since my dog has had any problems with her bladder. She doesn't constantly squat, her stream is full and heavy, and no blood since she was first diagnosed.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:

I am getting the stone analyzed and will know in three weeks which type of stone it is. In the meantime, does anyone know which brand of dog food is good for a dog that is/may be prone to bladder stones?
Knowing exactly what type of stones is key to determining what type of natural diet/ nutrients are needed or should be avoided.

Once you know what type of stones, you and your vet can contact Va Tech for a nutrition consulting service.

http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/vth/nutrition.asp

Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 PM

45 posts, read 65,250 times
Quote:
Try using a critical mind and doing some research before posting or don't bother responding to my post at all. I've done my research and I know that vets aren't versed in pet nutrition. They are getting their info from reps at pet food companies like Hills or Science Diet for their special diets. Don't you think that is biased? I know that special diets by Hills or Royal Canin don't have the best ingredients in them and there are stories of weight gain which causes other health issues. I was looking for input from other people that experienced this issue with their dog and their suggestions for high quality food.

good for you xero42 , hope you are still reading this posts. went through this with a terrier and did a lot of reading up and found interesting facts when a vet tried pushing that muck on our dog
those "rx" foods, all they do is make the animal thirsty. note all the salt in it so if you are still reading,
if it is Oxolate stone, wanna keep away from foods with high oxolate content. i googled it for my dog when started making his food.
But the big thing is water flowing through the dog and moist food is apparently ideal. dogs are carnivores so good for you for making your meat diet for your dog!
There are prepared foods too, which are freeze-dried raw, like Stella & Chewy's and all you have to do is add water to it. and catsmylove above posted some nice info
hope this helps glad people are catching on and not falling for the "rx" food scam!! foods like Stella and chewy's may seem pricey and people may see some sticker shock but it still comes out cheaper than a bag full of corn and soy and more vet bills down the line

Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 PM

oh i'm sorry, it's daylux making a recipe. anyways, good luck

Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
\

did you ever read the ingredients in 'that vet food" it dehydrates them maybe,, can't imagine any benefits! i don't see any medicine listed in that stuff $$

Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:

LoL I was in the dog food business for years, owned a pet shop and own a pet sitting dog walking business, so my "critical mind" is fine, thanks.

My reading skills are pretty good, too. You never once mentioned quality you mentioned PRICE.

Quote:

About two months later, she was urinating more so I had x-rays done. She had one bladder stone which our vet removed without surgery. This is her first stone. Now the vet wants to place her on a special diet which I can only purchase at the vet place (Royal Canin Medi-Cal Urinary SO) which is costly. I asked if I can go with other brands that is available at the pet store. She is discouraging/scaring me with worse case scenarios if I don't feed her this food.

Sooooo, lemme understand YOUR "critical mind".

You think the vet sells prescription food that's crap, even though every vet and hospital in the world uses it for this condition....but you're going to find something CHEAPER and of course "BETTER" (now added criteria) at ...A PET STORE.

Is that about right?

Ohhh and vets are stupid and unethical. No critical thinking skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or