U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:08 PM

3,570 posts, read 5,716,317 times

Advertisements

The Sherpas are nice bags...also very comfortable to carry compared to some of the others.

VERY good suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,034,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
What is your dislike for the Southwest crate based on?

Also I may be wrong but I thought most pets who fly in cabin did so in soft carriers?

I don't like that "lunch box" look. Plus, I'd rather have one of those fancy ones that have multiple uses but unfortunately the size is the issue on that type and all the ones I have looked at locally as well as online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, if the dog is going into the cabin with you, then you need a soft sided carrier. Sherpa brand is the preferred brand and is airline approved. Samsonite makes a good soft-sided airline carrier. It is plain, inexpensive, and well made.

The soft sided carriers can be smooshed down to fit under the seat.

You probably won't find what you need at Petsmart or Petco. Try on-line at Pet Edge or Doctors Smith and Foster. Search for Sherpa bag.

Jeffers Pet Catalog (not Jeffers livestock catalog) used to sell the Samsonite bag. I haven't looked lately to see if they still do, but they are on-line.

There are lots of soft sided carriers that are not airline approved. Since you are inexperienced with soft sided carriers, please stick to the two brands I have mentioned. They are both airline approved and safe to use. The sherpa can be much more stylish and comes in colors and prints. The Sherpa can also get rather expensive at the upper end of their line. The Samsonite looks rather like a gym bag, but it is inexpensive and well made.

There are occasionally other bags that are OK, but if you don't know what you are looking for, that would be a risky purchase.

Thanks for your info. I'm not aware of the Samsonite brand making a pet carrier. Where can one purchase that at~? I didn't know the soft ones can smoosh down. The Sherpa's I checked didn't meet the requirements.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
personally I cannot recommend anything other than PET FLYS brand, expensive, but, usa made small company, amazing customer service, incredible guarantee (my cat clawed up the blanket (MY FAULT) she sent me 2 brand new blankets and some cat treats!)

ive had no problem using it for my cresties with southwest, American airlines, American eagle, or united.

unfortunately ive had bad experiences with Sherpa carriers "collapsing" and crumpling and generally not holding orm/seeming even remotely safe because they can smoosh down.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,034,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
personally I cannot recommend anything other than PET FLYS brand, expensive, but, usa made small company, amazing customer service, incredible guarantee (my cat clawed up the blanket (MY FAULT) she sent me 2 brand new blankets and some cat treats!)

ive had no problem using it for my cresties with southwest, American airlines, American eagle, or united.

unfortunately ive had bad experiences with Sherpa carriers "collapsing" and crumpling and generally not holding orm/seeming even remotely safe because they can smoosh down.
Thanks for the info I've never heard of this brand or website and am checking them out now

Edit: I've checked them out but the requirements aren't what the airlines has specified. They are 11 inches or more in height and Southwest requires 8.5 in height and American requires 9 inches in height.

Last edited by veggienut; 03-23-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
ive used my petflys on both, just lay on its tall side so its flat, never had issues and ive flown quite a bit with 2 in cabin.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 PM

9,224 posts, read 11,721,012 times
Also, make sure whatever you use is something you can handle as you go through security. Read up on the pet procedures at the airport.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM

6,067 posts, read 8,340,519 times
I've flown with my dog under the seat quite a few times. I got my carrier at Petsmart. I don't remember what brand it is, but it's soft. It said airline approved on it, so I went for it. I flew Southwest each time and they never measured the carrier. They barely even looked at it except to put the tag around it when I checked in and paid the pet fee. I was really nervous the first time, but having a dog with you isn't any big deal, or at least it wasn't for me. I had my dog on a leash the entire time until right before we got on the plane. I carried him through the metal detector, but the crate and his collar go through the machine with everything else (purse or carry on). We went through check in and security six times total and never any issues, so you'll be fine!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,935,844 times
I've used my Sherpa a few times now. It's really nice as the "bed" on the bottom is removeable so you can just take it out and wash it.

I've never even had a problem with them measuring the bag to make sure it's within their requirements. The only stickler was Delta who said that my dog weighed too much.... by one freeking pound! They weren't going to let me fly with my dog over that. After some yelling for a few minutes, I was on my way though.

To get through security you have to take the dog out of the carrier and put the carrier through the x ray and then you carry the dog through the metal detector and then they do a swab of your palms.

Some airports have different rules on conduct throughout the airport. I was told by the police in LaGauradia that I could take my dog out and walk him. I was told in Philadelphia and Detroit that I couldn't walk him, and in Detroit I would get a ticket if I was caught by the police.

I even had a great experience on a US Airways flight where the flight attendant moved my fiance and I up to the front row where they put people with strollers, and told us that we weren't allowed to keep him in the carrier after take off until we started to land so he could be more comfortable. She also brought me a few cans of beer for free because she saw me giving him some to calm his nerves on his first time flying. Best flight with a dog ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or