U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,045,655 times

Advertisements

Does anyone travel with the dog on the airlines~? What brand of bag do you all use when you travel with your dog~? Southwest has one that looks like a lunch box and I just don't like it, but theirs will fit under the seat. There are websites that sell them that say "airline friendly carriers" but they don't meet the requirements of size for Southwest or American. I appreciate any info anyone has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Does anyone travel with the dog on the airlines~? What brand of bag do you all use when you travel with your dog~? Southwest has one that looks like a lunch box and I just don't like it, but theirs will fit under the seat. There are websites that sell them that say "airline friendly carriers" but they don't meet the requirements of size for Southwest or American. I appreciate any info anyone has.
I cannot remember the name, but we bought it at Petco, asked them to show us which ones were airplane approved. It was a soft case carrier. That said, the airline didn't even look at the carrier when we got to the airport.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I cannot remember the name, but we bought it at Petco, asked them to show us which ones were airplane approved. It was a soft case carrier. That said, the airline didn't even look at the carrier when we got to the airport.
I thought the airline would measure the carrier~? The places I have checked online and at Petsmart, the dimensions were not what is approved and I don't know what to do. They didn't have many to choose from at Petco when I was there and what they did have was large it looked like.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 AM

14,697 posts, read 8,483,912 times
The airlines always measure the dog crates prior to shipment, however, you are responsible for selecting the size dog crate that will properly fit your dog before you fly. The crate has to allow the dog to stand comfortably. Airlines accept dog crates that state they are airline approved. I thought soft sided carriers were not allowed, but that might have changed. I'm not sure what size your dog is, but I shipped Great Dane puppies a couple of times. If your dog has to travel as cargo, I highly recommend United's Petsafe program. Most of my Great Dane breeder friends use them. They are very professional and ship the dogs safely, calmly, and for a reasonable price all over the US. Whatever airline you use, be sure and follow their rules to the letter. They will refuse to ship your dog if you don't.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 03-23-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The airlines always measure the dog crates prior to shipment, however, you are responsible for selecting the size dog crate that will properly fit your dog before you fly. The crate has to allow the dog to stand comfortably. Airlines accept dog crates that state they are airline approved. I thought soft sided carriers were not allowed, but that might have changed. I'm not sure what size your dog is, but I shipped Great Dane puppies a couple of times. If your dog has to travel as cargo, I highly recommend United's Petsafe program. Most of my Great Dane breeder friends use them. They are very professional and ship the dogs safely, calmly, and for a reasonable price all over the US. Whatever airline you use, be sure and follow their rules to the letter. They will refuse to ship your dog if you don't.
I DO NOT PLAN TO SHIP MY YORKSHIRE TERRIER~!!! I've heard horror stories of dogs being shipped as well as died during the transport~! I plan to keep my on the plane under the seat. I could never ship him cause he wouldn't make it physically~!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM

14,697 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Quote:
I DO NOT PLAN TO SHIP MY YORKSHIRE TERRIER~!!! I've heard horror stories of dogs being shipped as well as died during the transport~! I plan to keep my on the plane under the seat. I could never ship him cause he wouldn't make it physically~!
Quote:
I appreciate any info anyone has.
Whoa there, veggie. There's need to be a witch and jump my case, especially since you didn't say what breed of dog you have. I can't read your mind. (So much for being appreciative). I'm very knowledgeable about shipping dogs, and myself and other breeders have shipped thousands of dogs successfully, including puppies as young as eight weeks old. The size of the dog is immaterial, as long as you have the right sized crate. But since you have a Yorkie, he/she can probably fit under the seat, although some larger Yorkies may not. You have to measure the size of the crate the dog needs and let the airline know, so they can compare it to the under seat dimensions.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Whoa there, veggie. There's need to be a witch and jump my case, especially since you didn't say what breed of dog you have. I can't read your mind. (So much for being appreciative). I'm very knowledgeable about shipping dogs, and myself and other breeders have shipped thousands of dogs successfully, including puppies as young as eight weeks old. The size of the dog is immaterial, as long as you have the right sized crate. But since you have a Yorkie, he/she can probably fit under the seat, although some larger Yorkies may not. You have to measure the size of the crate the dog needs and let the airline know, so they can compare it to the under seat dimensions.
I'm sorry I just have never traveled with my dog and don't wish him to stay anymore at the dog resort (where he's not crated and runs free). I've got the dimensions of Southwest and American Airlines, but all the places I've look and online all go past the requirements. I don't know what to do except buy one and go to the airlines to see if they approved and then have the trouble to take it back or ship it back to wherever.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM

3,582 posts, read 5,741,288 times
Quote:
What is your dislike for the Southwest crate based on?

Also I may be wrong but I thought most pets who fly in cabin did so in soft carriers?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM

9,264 posts, read 11,826,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
What is your dislike for the Southwest crate based on?

Also I may be wrong but I thought most pets who fly in cabin did so in soft carriers?
Correct, the majority of in-cabin pets are in soft sided carrriers/bags provided by their owner. The airlines don;t use soft sided carriers due to 'standards" so they use the hard shell cases both for purchase and single flight use; in the cabin or in cargo. They are also easier to clean.

The issue people have is that because the majority of airline crates are hard sided and they must fit the majority of their aircraft, they tend to be on the smaller side. Consider that you can have 2 airlines using the same aircraft, how close to the other row they push the seats can also diminish the size of crate the airline tells you you can have. Besided fitting unser a seat, they have to be able to be man handled into the seating space to push it under the seat including the aisle, center and window seat.

For the most part, its not that big a deal with soft sided luggae as you just squish your animal into a mass and cram it into whatever space their is. You can't do that with the hard sided or larger sized stiffer soft carriers. Truth si ythe airline would prefer you use your own carrier so if the pet is injured, its all on you. If you read the actual USDA and DOT regulations, the animal should be able to stand and turn around in that carrier while under the seat. How many can actually do that?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 PM

22,672 posts, read 28,709,830 times
OP, if the dog is going into the cabin with you, then you need a soft sided carrier. Sherpa brand is the preferred brand and is airline approved. Samsonite makes a good soft-sided airline carrier. It is plain, inexpensive, and well made.

The soft sided carriers can be smooshed down to fit under the seat.

You probably won't find what you need at Petsmart or Petco. Try on-line at Pet Edge or Doctors Smith and Foster. Search for Sherpa bag.

Jeffers Pet Catalog (not Jeffers livestock catalog) used to sell the Samsonite bag. I haven't looked lately to see if they still do, but they are on-line.

There are lots of soft sided carriers that are not airline approved. Since you are inexperienced with soft sided carriers, please stick to the two brands I have mentioned. They are both airline approved and safe to use. The sherpa can be much more stylish and comes in colors and prints. The Sherpa can also get rather expensive at the upper end of their line. The Samsonite looks rather like a gym bag, but it is inexpensive and well made.

There are occasionally other bags that are OK, but if you don't know what you are looking for, that would be a risky purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or