Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,517 times

Advertisements

A dear friend had a much-loved dog (for 14 years) who recently died. She is looking for another and just filled out a 6 pg registration form from Northwestern Maltese rescue in Racine, WI. Has anyone here on the forum heard anything about this rescue? They charged her a $10 registration fee and I wondered about that, as I haven't heard of that before. maybe I'm being silly....but don't know how to find out if this is a legitimate orginization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Contact the national breed club they will know if they are ligit.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
ah yes don't u just love the audacity of some of these rescues and I will also add that some are run by some real whacko nut jobs ....I can think of one imparticular that came to a friends house and this woman started Looking in her kitchen , her cabinets like it was ahuman child inspection ...unreal ...

Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
"Registration"? For what? Or was it an adoption application. There shouldn't have been a fee for an adoption application.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
I don't know anything about the rescue you mentioned, and I agree with other posters you should research them, but a $10 fee seems reasonable - if only as a nuisance fee to make sure you are really interested in working with the rescue for finding a dog that you want to adopt.

Here in Hawaii it's $250 adoption fee for the OSPCA (no kill shelter) and close to that for the Humane society. Once in a while you can adopt a dog for $60 from the Humane society (I think that's when the shelter gets close to capacity). Normally you get a variety of mutts, but now and again you'll see a purebred dog on an owner surrender (usually a military PSC to Germany, Japan, or Korea with travel/immigration restrictions on pets).

Here in Hawaii, the fee defrays some of the operating costs, and is intended to make sure you are commited to the dog, not looking for a "bait dog" or some other unethical or abusive purpose.

They also have a multiple page application, do a background check and have the option for a home visit before they place the dog. I was OK with all of it, and have two great purebred "Godonlyknows" dogs from the OSPCA. Somebody has to be the advocate for the dogs...

Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,978 times
Yes,I know of a Rescue that charges a $40 for the application fee and then another fee for the dog.

Have to say though it is an excellent Rescue and they do all kind od surgeries and medical txment before they let the dogs go to their new home.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Is this the rescue you mean ? They are legit. The fee is for submitting the adoption application.

Northcentral Maltese Rescue, Inc.

Some of the rescue groups in the North East, for the more popular breeds of dogs, have similar application fees ( non refundable) usually in the $ 25 range. Some have so many applications that they seem to think the fee weeds out the non-serious tire kickers.

Somehow doesn't feel right to me. My last adoption was from a local pound. I just wasn't willing to deal with application, having references checked, a home visit and maybe sometime in the future if they had a pet they thought would be a good match they would call me. I'm more of a " what do you have" and if I'm really interested, then I'll jump through a reasonable number of hoops to get it.

Going through the same procedure multiple times with multiple rescues on a chance they might at some point in time, have a pet I want is an imposition on friends and vets being called for references. It's an imposition on my time to have home visits. All of this just to be approved, without knowing if the pet I want is in their possession. Seems like many rescues today want to act as pet brokers. You pay them a fee and then they want to find you a dog or cat.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I think $10 application fee is damn cheap. I can't believe people are complaining about this. After an application is received somebody has to call vets and other references and do some background checks. of course there are some wackos in the rescue business but the legit ones have vet expenses, food, towels, heat, etc which somebody has to pay And believe me adoption fees for the cutie ones don't nearly cover the expenses of the really sick ones who need longer and more care. Also if somebody has a financial investment in adoption they might follow through. you have no idea how many people might send in a free application and after some volunteer has done some checks the people say "Oh we found a really cute dog down the street we decided to take in."

Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,517 times
Thank you all for your help! I am just happy to be reassured that the rescue is legit....I couldn't find anything on the internet. Willow Wind, that is the rescue that my friend contacted...thanks! i have never heard of charging a fee to make an application, but I understand the reasoning behind it. There will be an additional adoption fee, of course, if they are approved and find a pet. The application form was 6 pgs. Again, thank you to all who responded.....I feel better now.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Somehow doesn't feel right to me. My last adoption was from a local pound. I just wasn't willing to deal with application, having references checked, a home visit and maybe sometime in the future if they had a pet they thought would be a good match they would call me. I'm more of a " what do you have" and if I'm really interested, then I'll jump through a reasonable number of hoops to get it.

Going through the same procedure multiple times with multiple rescues on a chance they might at some point in time, have a pet I want is an imposition on friends and vets being called for references. It's an imposition on my time to have home visits. All of this just to be approved, without knowing if the pet I want is in their possession. Seems like many rescues today want to act as pet brokers. You pay them a fee and then they want to find you a dog or cat.
+1. Rescues are too often very high-and-mighty about who can and can't have their dogs. I know they want what's best for the dogs, but it shouldn't be so difficult to adopt a dog from a rescue that really good adoptive families give up on doing just that. And I also agree that pound dogs are the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs